Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure - Page 6 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-10, 02:34 AM   #76 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My car cranks then a little bit more then it starts then it runs and makes a loud knock... Guessing thrown rod ?
Towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-10, 12:52 PM   #77 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend

My Acura ran great until I changed the battery. Now just turns over. Are there any security issues like chrysler used to have where you had to turn the key in the driver door to reset it?
AllenBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 12:24 PM   #78 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend L

Mike, I really appreciate you sharing your car expertise through this posting. Your troubleshooting was very helpful and easy to follow.

My '93 cranked but won't turn overt. I tried to eliminate various listed possible culprit but couldn't.

To make long story short (went through a lot of major surgeries ) my mechanic called and told me that the car was finally running.
"Did you have to replace the master relay," I asked.
"No, it just started out of no reason," he said.
"I was hoping it was the MR that was bad."

Although I was so excited to have the car back, for it had been in the shop since mid-May, my mind was not at ease for not knowing the causes this random starting problem. My mechanic handed me the replacement MR and told to hold on to it for a few few days, just in case I need it. So, I left the shop and left the cover underneath the steering wheel in the trunk.

For many days the car fire right up perfectly, so I put the cover back on since there was no need to replace the MR any more. After that, on that same day, I drove to the park. A few hour later, I tried and tried, but the won't turn over. After many stops and starts, I decided to take off that cover...maybe, I thought, it might help.
Sure enough, she fired right up. Oh that was such a sweet sound to my ears.

So what happened? I was still puzzle at the problem.

When I brought the car from the shop, I noticed the sound that indicates the key is still in the ignition, although the key was removed, and the car couldn't be locked without the key. The door-lock problem comes and goes. The ignition switch is now a suspect. After poking around the area around the ignition switch, I stumbled on a loose connection that goes into the switch, on the left side just below the place where the key goes into the ignition. When I have time, I'll take a closer look at it.

Last edited by obrunning; 08-08-10 at 12:32 PM.
obrunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-10, 02:23 PM   #79 (permalink)

I think I found problem part; it's the black, square connector (next to that gold circle as shown in the picture in the link below)
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...-w-key-141028/

[7P-connector? ] that is plugged in to the ignition switch, just below the area where you start the car. It has 2 colored wires which soldered into a tiny brown square piece. That black connector has a tiny push button (looks like a black broken toothpick), which, when pushed in, makes a certain sound goes off...I think you-left-the-door-open alarm switch. I'm not 100% certain that connector is the problem. By unplugging and plugging it helped the car to turn over when cranked...that's weird.

I'm planning to replace the I/S. Does anyone know the part number for 1993 Legend L's ignition switch? All I can see are lock cylinder and steering lock.

http://www.atfinley.com/service/inde...2080&z=2690&r=

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by obrunning; 08-09-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 08:51 PM   #80 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend

I was also having this problem, car sounded like it was going to start but wouldn't. It's been doing it at such random times for the past few years- just got to be a frequent problem this summer, until finally, it refused to start at all. It really sounded like the fuel pump, and I had several people suggest that as well. A mechanic told me he couldn't diagnose it unless it was doing the problem, which was random enough I couldn't take the car in.
I had to join this site so I can say THANK YOU to MikeD- your instructions and diagnosis were RIGHT ON, easy to follow- I had the main relay out in 20 minutes, back in in ten, car's doing great! This, after several days of testing wiring, changing fuel pump (twice), forum searching, getting rides, taking buses... Thank you!!
AWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 10:38 PM   #81 (permalink)

Car 1: 2002 RL
Car 2: 1993 Legend LS
Car 3: 1986 Legend-Sold

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I replaced my main relay today and all is well. My systems were:

1. Crank but no start began about a year ago, very sporadically in hot weather only. Got stranded once. This past winter it would crank much longer than usual but would start.
2. After engine is warm and I’ve made a quick stop, when restarting the RPMs would drop to near zero and might stall if I didn’t give it some gas. This happened EVERY time.

I pulled the main relay and gave it a close exam. Even had my electrical engineer friend look as well but the relay looked fine. No sign of any bad solder joints…my MR appeared perfect but showed the classic symptoms of failure. Got a good price ($68) from my local Acura dealer. The parts manager and I are on a first name basis…I think I’m on his Christmas card list.

Now for a surprise. My fans now continue to run for a few minutes after the hot engine is turned off, which they are supposed to do. I swear I can’t remember when they quit running after shut down (fact is I never noticed it), but it seems too much of a coincidence that the new MR fixed this problem. I’ve read most of the posts on main relay problems and don’t recall fan operation being related to MR failure. Any thoughts?
jgurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 11:05 AM   #82 (permalink)

Smile

My MR appeared to be fine, as well. None of the diodes or resistors has any sign of gotten fried or loose soldering. The most obvious symptom was no spark.

Previously I tried the MR from O'reilly, and the car still wouldn't turnover. However, it was the Main Relay (next to the hood-release switch). Initially, I thought it got to be the I/S. But, after replacing the ignition switch, then the MR, that the turnover problem has gone away...so far anyway.

Thanks Mike for your sticky. It was great help and learning experience.

Last edited by obrunning; 08-29-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-19-11, 01:52 PM   #83 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L

Will an ignition switch give me a check engine light? I was driving on the highway with cruise set on 60, out of nowhere it sputtered for a half second then went back to normal. Only difference was my MIL was now on. I was less than 10 mins from home so I pushed on. About 5 mins down the road it sputtered once again and shut off immediately. I got her on the shoulder and tried to crank her. The motor turns over strong but sounds very free. My mechanic that did my timing belt a few weeks back believes it is my ignition switch because he found a loose ignition wire under my dash at the time of repair. He says his scanner shows no codes and is wanting to have someone else with more specific equipment attempt to diagnose it for 130$. I trust my guy but am on a tight budget. The car has fresh head gaskets and the top end was thoroughly cleaned, new timing belt and pulley, water pump and thermostat, ignition control module, and battery. I tried the main relay test (turn the key to on, wait for check engine light and d4 light) and it passed. Please any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jayson
JayWu64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 08:37 PM   #84 (permalink)

Acura 92 Legend will not start, doesn't crank over!

I have been reading the forums and I bought a new Main Relay plugged it up and thought I fixed the problem. The Car won't Start! I turned the key and no light, nothing comes on. I know their is battery and checked to see the power. I even checked the Main Relay to see if there was power going to it and there is. I don't think its my Ignition switch is the problem or could I be wrong. The key lights up the ignition but nothing on the dashboard lights up. Nothing comes on. Someone please help!

I have a 2 door Acura 92 Legend L 5-speed.
Kensei007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 10:15 AM   #85 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend
Car 2: 2011 Buick Regal
Car 3: 2004 Chev Sub Z71

1995 Legend Main Relay Location

Where exactly is the main realy on my 1995 Legend? Is it the brown box bolted to the firewall next to the large brass colored security box?

I know it says to listen when you turn the key but with the door open the beeper is so loud I can't tell where the sound might be coming from and none of the wriing harness connections seem to look like the diagram in the book?

I'm about ready to take it to the mechanic and get it out of the garage.
Mark's Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 08:14 AM   #86 (permalink)

1995 Legend Main Relay Location

So did some more Googling and found a anwer about taking the two screws out at the bottom of the dash panel underneath the steering wheel. If was then facing me on the left and now I found the module and antennae for the remote door locks.

I'll get a new relay today and hopefully that will end this saga.
Old 09-15-11, 12:43 PM   #87 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend Coupe

I gotta put my two cents in and thank everyone for the discussion. Two days ago I was ready to go to work when my car wouldn't start. The starter was getting good power and sounded healthy but it wouldn't kick over. I called AAA because I pay for that service to see if its something they can do. They came to the conclusion that my fuel pump needed replacement and their local shop could do the work for $500. So I came here to see if I could find answers. Everything I needed was in this thread. I also called the local Acura parts dept for a fuel pump quote just in case. The guy there was surprised my fuel pump went out. He suggested I look for the problem elsewhere first. I decided to skip the re-soldering of the relay because I needed a jewelers magnifying glass to see them with my eyes. I wound up buying a new one, plugging it in and Bam! back in action. $80 bucks
Aleax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:18 AM   #88 (permalink)

Main Relay Location

So last night I put the new relay in. Learned that there are actually 3 screws holding the dash panel. a mystery screw behind the courtesy lights control. I'll have to epoxy part of it back on now that I see it holding the left side upper in place.

Bad news was it didn't start. Doesn't seem to have an fuel pressure as when I took the banjo bolt off the top of the cannister, it dribbled but no spray when I turn the key on.

Now it's off to removing the two back seats, I remember the upper half top bolts being a mystery to locate last time.
Old 09-19-11, 11:37 AM   #89 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend LS Sedan

thnx for this sticky! id still be tryin to figure this out. thought it was the fuel pump til i read this and found it was the relay!!
CannaChris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 04:26 PM   #90 (permalink)

Update

Took the guage connection off the top of the fuel line, no fuel, removed inlet line to fuel filter, fuel flows.

So new fuel filter tonight but I'm not holdign my breath that it's not the fuel pump. At least I know it's getting power. I would have thought it would have really gushed out the end of the inlet line to the fuel filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)