Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure - Page 7 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-11, 11:40 AM   #91 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura legend 4d sedan 1991

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hello Guys!

I have this prob with my 91 legend (2nd gen). I switched the main relay because fuel pump didnt get any power and the check engine light stayed on. But it didn't help so is the problem with ECU? Any help how I could diagnose it would be much appriaciated?
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-11, 02:08 PM   #92 (permalink)

where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDM GS View Post
I noticed you advised checking the fuses under the hood Mike, but I just wanted to add that today I had an engine-will-rotate-but-will-not-start problem and it turned out to be the fuel pump fuse under the dash! Easily fixed, thank goodness..
... where is this fuse exactly?
Old 09-23-11, 09:28 AM   #93 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend
Car 2: 2011 Buick Regal
Car 3: 2004 Chev Sub Z71

Update

Well I was wrong. I got the new fuel filter (NAPA) in last night, purged the line through the top bolt on the banjo fitting. Turned the key once, no go. Did it again and it popped right off.

I've never had a fuel filter not allow the car to start, more the starved feeling under heavy load. Couldn't tell if it had ever been changed as they are both black. I know I haven't changed it and now the car has 154,000 on it.
Mark's Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-11, 11:19 PM   #94 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend SE
Car 2: 1991 Acura Legend LS

Exclamation Help me!

I have a 1995 Acura Legend SE. This car is my baby and I realize that it is rare and I am unwilling to come off of it. It has 266,xxx miles and I was having starting issues. Sometimes it would start, and other times it wouldn't until one day it just never started back up. I decided it was the fuel pump so i changed that. Still won't start. Changed the spark plugs. Still won't start without starting fluid. It's not getting any fuel pressure to the engine because I unhooked the line to the engine and turned the car over. I really do not think it is the main relay because you can hear it click before you try to start the car. I have owned 5 Legends and two of them had an issue with the main relay. All I did with them is reach under the steering column and mess with the relay till it started. But i am just stumped with this one. So if anybody has any ideas I would be glad to listen!

Thanks!
Christen
cbrown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 04:46 PM   #95 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend Auto 4dr.
Car 2: 1987 Toyota 4x4 BHG

Coolant Temperature Sensor

Howdy ya'll! Haven't been on in quite awhile, thought I'd post my most recent
crank/ no start solution. Also think we should add it to the list as it was a bear to figure out!

1991 Legend Sedan Type I

So we have 3 coolant sensors on this baby. One for the fans, one for the gauge, and one for the ECU. The only one that could cause a no start is the ECU one. It's on the passenger side of the throttle body area. Pull the plug and if it starts, you've found your problem. I believe there is a test for it in the online manual. Mine had about 90 ohms @ 32 F! So the ecu had coolant at 250+ degrees. Leaned down the mix, etc. Absolutely would not start!
There were no codes, till I actually unplugged the sucker.
Here's the link for testing:

http://www.atfinley.com/service/inde...&z=2690&r=0156

At any rate this is an easy test/fix that had me stumped for awhile. Part is $30-$40.
Good Luck!

Last edited by ChucksterMathis; 01-20-12 at 05:04 PM. Reason: adding a link
ChucksterMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 09:13 AM   #96 (permalink)

Main relay

I seem to have a faulty main relay (crank but not starting, engine light stays on) like ones before but my trusty mechanic is ill so this time I have to do this myself. Any pictures where exactly is the main relay located (i tried to find it with the help of legend online manual), do I have to disassemble part of dashboard first to reach it?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 03-11-12, 05:19 PM   #97 (permalink)

Car 1: 1987 legend
Car 2: 1976 AMC Gremlin
Car 3: 1991 legend ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
I seem to have a faulty main relay (crank but not starting, engine light stays on) like ones before but my trusty mechanic is ill so this time I have to do this myself. Any pictures where exactly is the main relay located (i tried to find it with the help of legend online manual), do I have to disassemble part of dashboard first to reach it?

Any help greatly appreciated!
i had the same problem, its under the driver side dash its a little black box with 2 wire connectors coming out of it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The first REAR WHEEL DRIVE LEGEND^^
OrangeGen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 05:49 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGen1 View Post
i had the same problem, its under the driver side dash its a little black box with 2 wire connectors coming out of it

thx alot mate!!!

Old 03-11-12, 08:18 PM   #99 (permalink)

Car 1: 1987 legend
Car 2: 1976 AMC Gremlin
Car 3: 1991 legend ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
thx alot mate!!!

No problem

The first REAR WHEEL DRIVE LEGEND^^
OrangeGen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 05:52 AM   #100 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 acura legend L 289,xxx
Car 2: 02 ford escape xls

i had the same problem, when i first got the car, it would start but sometimes it wouldn't last summer, ended up replacing the main relay and had no issues since, what it was doing is the fuel pump wouldn't kick on sometimes, i thought maybe the pump, but started with cheapest of the two to replace after reading up on it may be that, also thought at first it would have been the security system installed by the dealer was old and not working, due to the time the car alarm would go off if you opened the drivers door by the key, youd have to unlock the car by the passenger door, until i found the disable wire and by passed most of the alarms shut offs, couldn't remove it entirely, or the car wouldn't start, so bypassed it for the most part, i figured it was the part was older and enabling the security system in it. but after all of that, because it only did it when it was hot out, since i got it in december when it was cold before last summer i had no issues until it got warmer out. it would not turn on the fuel pump, you could turn the key a few times then here it kick on for its prestart. but the relay ended up being my issue. no problems since.
bdpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 06:02 PM   #101 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend Sedan
Car 2: 2002 Cadillac Escala
Car 3: 2002 Nissan Maxima

91 acura will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei007 View Post
I have been reading the forums and I bought a new Main Relay plugged it up and thought I fixed the problem. The Car won't Start! I turned the key and no light, nothing comes on. I know their is battery and checked to see the power. I even checked the Main Relay to see if there was power going to it and there is. I don't think its my Ignition switch is the problem or could I be wrong. The key lights up the ignition but nothing on the dashboard lights up. Nothing comes on. Someone please help!

I have a 2 door Acura 92 Legend L 5-speed.
My Acura is doing the exact same thing. Have you received any solutions to this problem??
KRBENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 05:21 PM   #102 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Check your grounds and make sure they are all tight and not corroded. I'm not talking about the battery but the engine and body grounds.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:03 PM   #103 (permalink)

Car 1: 2004 Acura TSX
Car 2: 1994 Honda Civic DX
Car 3: 2003 VW Passat 1.8t

Nice write up!
Hanoihancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 02:32 AM   #104 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura legend L coupe 6spd

Rough/weird/sometimes perfect start ??

Hey guys, so heres the problem, ill try and post a video soon of this too if needed. Ok. So my legend, sometimes starts fine no issues. Whether it starts rough weird or good, its always running great ! which may eliminate some of the possibillities. Here's what its typically doing. WHen i turn the key (check engine is on) it will crank and turnover, then real quickly turn back off. Sometimes it does that (cranks, turns over, turns off) and then its will save itself and turn back on within a split second. Sometimes a little gas pedal works to start it. Sometimes i gave it gas, had the rpm up to 3 maybe 4k, and still shuts off. Like i said it runs fine. I just the other day did the plugs, fuel filter and a semi kinked intake vacuum hose. It seemed like one of the three did the job but now its back at it. Maybe a bad switch or igniter ? idk. If you need a video let me know. I can get one tomorrow... any questions let me know. thanks
Old 10-25-12, 01:07 AM   #105 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura legend L coupe 6spd

I think it's main relay or ignition switch, looks like my dash lights are doing cutting out when this happens so.I think it's electrical ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)