Door Handle Replacement - DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-06, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L Coupe
Car 2: 2004 BMW 330Ci

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Door Handle Replacement - DIY

My driver door handle on my coupe has looked like this for about a month:

So I bought this from the dealer:

(I looked around for a long time for a used one and finally gave up, bit the bullet and ordered one from the dealer - $160)

I just replaced it today, and I thought I'd take some pics and write it up in order to help anyone who has this same problem and is considering replacing it themselves. This was not a very diffcult job, took less than an hour.

Step 1: Remove the interior door panel.

Step 2: Once it is off you should see this:

Peel the clear plastic back about half way down the door.

Step 3:

Peel back the black plastic covering the access hole on the left (circled in red). Disconnect the electric plug (circled in green). Remove electrical cable from mounting points(4 of them). Reach in the door and seperate the door lock rod from the door lock tab(circled in blue). Using a 10mm socket wrench and removed the door handle mounting bolts(circled in red).

Step 4: Remove the door latch rod from the door handle. The online manual suggests prying it off with a flathead screw driver, I had no luck trying that. So I pulled the whole assemblemy to the outside of the door, like so:

Then I used a sharp knife to cut the plastic tabs holding the rod to the door handle.

Step 5: Now that you have the door handle completely removed, take out the lock mechanism (it is held in place by a wire, should be easy to see how it's held in place)

Step 6: Install the lock mechanism in to the new door handle.

Step 7: Now that the new door handle has the lock mechanism in, replacement is the reverse if the removal. Reattach door latch rod, work the door handle back in the door, reattach mounting bolts, reattach door lock rod, and finally run the elctrical cable (make certain that it is run around the window guide, and push retaining clips back into holes).

Step 8: Verity that is works, before you put the door back together.

Step 9: Replace access hole cover and clear plastic. I used 3M spray adhesive to replace the black plastic over the access hole, and caulk adhesive on the clear plastic.

Step 10: Replace the door panel.

Finished product:

(Notice it is a little differnent than the one I removed)

It is so nice to be able to open my door easily again.
Much easier than I thought it would be. I hope this helps someone out.
Fast_AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-06, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
nice job on the write up.

just curious, how was the color match?
quanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
nice wirte up. people are always asking about hwo to replace those.

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-06, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just Another Guy

Car 1: '05 C6 Z51
Car 2: '91 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 96 Tahoe/2005 Civic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Wow, I actually did this about 3 months ago with my car. A guy on the forums had a 93 coupe black handle, and he painted it frost white for me and then I bought it. But my install was a little different from yours, but I'm pretty sure you probably did it easier.

"Remove the door latch rod from the door handle. The online manual suggests prying it off with a flathead screw driver, I had no luck trying that. So I pulled the whole assemblemy to the outside of the door, like so:"

Lol. I'm remember reading that and thinking, WTF. How do I pry off something that is threaded in. So what I did was unscrew the door suckers, and pivot the handle out the access bay - yeah, your probably thinking how in the world I did that but I made it. Then I spun the door handle around the rod 16 times and counted, then installed lock mechanism on new handle, and spun it back on 16 times exactly, and then pivoted back in. What a pain in the but to do it my way. But I didn't see any way to get it to come off.

"Then I used a sharp knife to cut the plastic tabs holding the rod to the door handle."

I dunno how you did that, and then be able to get it on the new handle, but awesome. Took my probably 6-7 hours to get it on my way. But since I know what I'm doing now...probably 2-3 hours.

Great DIY, just curious to why your lock mechanism looks sunkin' in a little/smaller. Anyway, glad it works, feels great doesn't it? How long did it take ya?
Edify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L Coupe
Car 2: 2004 BMW 330Ci

Quote:
just curious, how was the color match?
Obviously the new door handle is a little newer looking, but it's really hard to tell the difference. The thin black strip around the handle seperates the handle from the body enough visually that you can't tell. I also think white is a tough color to see color difference.

Quote:
Great DIY, just curious to why your lock mechanism looks sunkin' in a little/smaller.
If you look at the original one on the car, there is a ring of metal around the locking mechanism. The one I got from the dealership didn't. Not sure why it's different. It does still light up when the handle is lifted though.

Quote:
Anyway, glad it works, feels great doesn't it? How long did it take ya?
It feels great! I was opening my door by getting my finger under the jagged metal piece and pulling it up. It was really cutting my finger to shreds, although I was getting good at it . Even better no more clanging of metal while the handle flops around. Whole job took about an hour. I had tried to remove it once before though, so I was familiar with the process.
Fast_AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 5 sp coupe 184k

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just ordered a white handle from Acura of Augusta for $98+shipping.

Thanks for the pics and tips, I am sure they will come in handy.
gmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

excellent article, got a bit warmer today ( -10 compared to -20!) So i put on my gloves and replaced the handle in less than an hour(30 minutes, thanks to your instructions.) That Rod that they ask you to pry out with a screw drive,u need to bring it out of the door just like you suggested and then you pinch the plastic piece a bit and push the rod out. When installing, you can use some grease to help the rod slide into the plastic gromet on the door handle.
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)