Emergency Brake Adjustment - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-06, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Emergency Brake Adjustment

Are there any DIY's on adjusting the emergency hand brake? Is it easy enough to do?
LALEGENDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-06, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It is very simple to do by yourself. The e-break is a drum break that operates on the rear wheels. It is completely separate from the disk break system. This is how you adjust it.

1. Jack up car and put on stand (do not leave on jack, this is dangerous!).

2. Remove the wheel.

3. Remove the little rubber cover on the wheel hub (Black and about the size of a nickel).

4. Use a flashlight to look inside the little hole, you will see a sprocket w/ little teeth on it.

5. W/ the e-break completely released, spin the wheel hub while adjusting the sprocket with a flat tip screwdriver. I think up is tighten, down is loosen but you get the idea.

6. When the hub just barely begins to drag when you spin it, back it off a notch and you are done.

8. Replace the little rubber cover. (you may not have this, mechanics don't really care about replacing them if you ever had the breaks done somewhere as they're not really necessary).

7. Proceed to the next wheel and repeat.

When you are done it should take about 4 clicks of the e-break to set it securely. If you are in doubt about the amount of "meat" left on your pads, you can take the hub off and look at them, but it really shouldn't be an issue unless they were abused/mal-adjusted previously.

-Tim
TLReaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 91L 5spd blue cpe
Car 2: 92LS 5spd gray cpe
Car 3: 93LS 6spdgraycpe 3.5

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Very nice and concise Tl; Thank you. LALEGENDGUY: did that address your
concern? I have never had a hand brake issue in 260,000 miles over 15 years.
What prompted the question: warning light? rolling car? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Boru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-06, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boru
Very nice and concise Tl; Thank you. LALEGENDGUY: did that address your
concern? I have never had a hand brake issue in 260,000 miles over 15 years.
What prompted the question: warning light? rolling car? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
sometimes when its worn down a bit... the parking brake pads might not have enough bite on the hubs

for example if you hear too many clicks before the pads have enough pressure on the hubs.

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
MAN-WHORE

Car 1: 1994 Legend Sedan L 2005 Infiniti QX56

You can also adjust the ebrake at the handle inside the car. If you take that middle console off youll see an adjustment screw at the base of the E brake handle as well
Old 09-27-06, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

What Prompted the Question

Well, when I pull on the e-brake it pulls all the way upward very easily and quickly, and i noticed the car still rolls. This is when I realized my e-brake is not adjusted properly. Can it be something else?
Old 09-27-06, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is the e-break out of adjustment. Should take about 4 clicks to set which is like 25-30% of the total throw the break can handle. They probably just haven't been adjusted in a while. Adjust it first and then inspect the e-break cable to make sure it is intact. I'm confident this will fix your problem.
Old 09-27-06, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay thanks. I read Kingfabian's suggestion to adjust the e-brake from inside the counsel where the hand brake is located. Does adjusting the brake from either inside the or the wheels have the same result?
Old 09-27-06, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have never adjusted from the inside so I can't really speak to that. What I can say is that what you are adjusting from the console is just the tension/length of the cable, whereas when you take the wheel off and use the sprocket approach you are physically moving the pads closer to the drum, so they don't have to move as far. That is just the way I was taught to adjust drums/e-breaks.
Old 09-27-06, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 02 Audi S4
Car 2: 97 Honda Accord SE

My understanding is that the adjustment of the cable from inside the car is for a minor adjustment and the adjustment of the cable from outside is a "major" adjustment.

From my experience: If you have to pull the e-Brake up all the way and it still rolls, you won't pull enough slack by doing the minor (in car) adjustment. Get the jack out - it's a pretty easy job.
Old 09-27-06, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Mine was slack and the in-car djustment worked fone for me. Just watch out for the airbag wires. Airbag systems terrify me. >.<
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey i kinda have the same problem so im going to check this out... but i hjave a question, my E brake light is on when it is down. any ideas?
eddie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

If the break light is on you need to check the break fluid for the disk breaks and make sure it is full.
Old 09-28-06, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
T The pimp

Car 1: 92 Legend LS 5spd R.I.P
Car 2: 93 Legend L AT
Car 3: 92Legend L AT R.I.P

i just adjust my since i slap in a new set of rotor from brembo. now it perfect.

"I AM LEGEND"

To This

truonghthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)