Acura Legend Forum banner

Engine Oil Leak Source.

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  94Acleg 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Excuse the frequent posts, however I've once again come across something about the car that I'd like to have some advice on. Skip to the asterixes for the question.

Because of the newly imposed lockdown in Melbourne, I thought I'd take a gander around the engine bay just for fun...

...In doing so I think I may have found a major source, if not the source of my engine oil leak.

The car is RHD and is a fuel tank away from 277,000 km (172,119 miles).

The photos attached should show various angles depicting the passenger side's engine timing parts (cam gear, timing belt etc.), which can be accessed by removing the plastic cover that goes over it.

It should also show the 4 oil stains, which are labelled. The blue arrows show the stains from different angles. The orange arrow shows the direction in which the stains flow; down the plastic cover.

Not shown in the photos is a small stain of oil at the base of the oil dip stick.

I've done some research, and I've found that this oil stain is potentially not oil at all, but is instead the potting from the "crk/cyl sensor" that "melts off the sensor which is behind the drivers side [(in my case, the passenger's side)] cam gear, then runs down the front of the block behind the timing cover, and pools up at the dip stick."

Is this what I have here? Or is this a genuine engine oil leak? I ask for confirmation, because one of the stains are brown, the colour of engine oil.

In hindsight I should've probably removed the dipstick for a better view...pardon me.

Good day, everyone.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hmm, speaking of which...

When I went to change the engine oil last year, I found out that my mechanic may have overtightened the drain bolt (because I fought with it for an hour before it finally bulged).

Though in saying that...I do recall that the drain bolt did not struggle when I went to put it back in; it went in as you'd expect. So I don't think it has stripped...but I will go and inspect the bolt.

Thank you for the advice!

Good day.

#6 · (Edited)
Hello again.

I climbed underneath the car today to change my transmission filter (I've made a thread about this), and while I was there I had a look at the drain bolt.

It's actually fine; it's probably one of the few areas that's dry and free from oil...

The photo attached shows three points where there are evidence of leaks. The oil filter (in black) is either not tight enough, or not threaded on properly. It is the proper one. Its accompanying gasket is on there. I made sure that the old gasket was taken off along with the old oil filter when I did an engine oil change late last year.

I will have a look at it at a later date.

However, the other two leak points, illustrated in red in the photo...

...What's that about? What is there that may allow engine oil leaks to take place? Is there like a seal there? Between the engine oil pan and the differential? If there were, maybe that'd also explain why the differential oil was low when I changed it earlier in the year. Maybe that's where it leaks.

The brace at the bottom of the photo used to be covered in oil; I just gave it a wipe to see if the oil leaks were from that area or not.

It wasn't.

Good day.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hi,
If you spray Brakleen on these surfaces it should clean up a lot the drips and staining. Then you can see what has leaked from then on. Make sure you are not in the direction of the spray of course. Safety goggles or whatever you need. From what I can tell that looks like motor oil. When installing the oil filter first clean the contact surface of the oil filter on the block, with a rag, then apply a thin layer of fresh oil to the gasket, install the filter and firmly tighten by hand as much as you can. Could be leaking from the oil filter or valve cover area up above. After the many miles on your car there will be leaks and drips. New cars with a lot less miles will have this. The best you can do is always check the levels of the fluids. Oil, water and transmission

#9 · (Edited)
Hello!

Thank you for the cleaning tip! I will take the proper safety precautions; thank you for the friendly reminder!

As for the filter installation procedure; I do remember tightening the filter by hand, but then only applying another quarter turn. I was hesitant to install it any tighter; I read somewhere that having it too tight may be detrimental to the threads. It also took me a long while to take the old oil filter off, hence why I might've done it that way.

I realise now that might've been a mistake. I will redo this later; it is about time I changed the engine oil anyway. 6 months have past, afterall. Though, in saying that...the engine oil is still looking (and smelling) healthy. Would it be ok to reuse the engine oil?

Update: 06082020, 6.05 pm.

I've manage to loosen the oil filter to the point where no oil was spilt, and upon tightening it, found that I could further tighten it by around half a quarter turn by hand. Hopefully this does part of the trick.

Also, having climbed underneath the car another definite point of leakage I've found is the area between the engine and transmission. Specifically between the engine and torque converter housing(?). It's right where the steering rack is.

There's also a leak in the area between the differential and the engine oil pan towards the back. What does that mean? Is there some sort of seal there? Alternatively, it could just be oil running down from the above paragraph; the front of the engine is relatively free of fresh oil.

Valve covers seem fine; they're dry front and back.

There's also a leak at the left inner cv joint.

A couple of questions about this. How long does a reconditioned one typically last? And what colour and viscosity is the grease supposed to be? It seems to be green in mine. And it's oily.

Doesn't seem like coolant.

Thanks for the insight on the valve covers; I will have a look at them later!

And indeed, I did check the engine oil the day before yesterday; there is still plenty...

...for now.

Good day!

#11 ·
C32A Engine

I had my son, who is an auto mechanic, change my timing belt and all other belts, water pump, plus a leaking radiator, on my 2000 RL. That dark drip staining, was also on my engine,behind the timing belt covers,by the sensors. It might be from the the sealant, from the cam plugs, during installation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.