Head Gasket Questions - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-11, 11:05 PM   #31 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I wish I would have recorded this but I just hooked up my leak down tester to my engine, and low and behold air was coming up through the radiator..... Common problems I experienced, irratic idle, water pushed into the overflow which typcially did not reenter the raditor, engine randomly spiking as hot, heater randomly not working. I presumed it was a bad head gasket, now I have confirmed it. In the process of ordering the parts now.
RA 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-11, 12:45 AM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the Forum and hopes all goes well for your headgasket repair. Don't cheap out on the gasket. Get OEM or Felpro as most of us would do...
Old 01-22-11, 11:32 AM   #33 (permalink)

Car 1: 72 Datsun 240
Car 2: 83 Datsun 280ZXT
Car 3: 94 Acura Legend

I have done this job before, and might have to do it again. I wonder why PO had the thermostat out, ran good, didn't overheat, just had to add coolant once in a while. Hence the coolant bottles in his trunk. I would use the Acura gaskets. IMO Autozone sells a good water pump, (with the bearing) and the timing belt as well, (gator I think) and I've always had good results. I prefer to use the Acura thermostat as well. Then replace any old hose you see as a precautionary step.....hate to do the job again. So overall, not a bad job, just alot of little things to pull apart I remember, but car still runs good after 3 years ago, now pushing 400,000 miles, (boss's car.)
lastmanonearth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-11, 12:28 AM   #34 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Hi, I have a water pump issue that coolant is not circulating correctly and get the overheating needle to spike. I have spoken a lot about the headgaskets, read about it and viewed plenty of headgaskets jobs especially OldSchool's video from you tube. Those are the common problems at the rear of the engine with 3 and 6 cylinders. My question is since i am doing the water pump once the snow clears up and get warmer I was wondering since I already there i may do the headgaskets. I reside in NY Nassau County off the Nassau Expressway, Long Island, looking for a machinist to mill the heads for proper fitment. Can anyone know of one or maybe a listing of it not sure the proper term for mechanics milling heads. I appreciate your info. Thanks.
Desi
Old 02-02-11, 02:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L

Hi. Well I guess my 1991 Legend L wasn't quite immortal - I have to face head gasket reality at 258k. The car's body isn't nice enough to warrant a head gasket repair. But I would like to be able to get around a little longer, as the car is generally operable and is not smoking.

My big question is whether to pull the thermostat or not. An mechanic experienced at living with BHG suggests I can get greater use out of the vehicle if I remove the thermostat.

Here's the present situation:

1) There is oil in the coolant, but not coolant in the oil. The coolant does bubble. There is evaporation out the tailpipe. Yanked all the spark plugs, but didn't see damage in the cylinders. So all signs point to BHG, maybe early onset.

2) Idle is very rough when the car is cold; the car likes to go forward without me hitting the gas pedal (at any temperature; this is getting worse).

3) Went 80 miles round trip in 50 degrees (outside air) without the temperature gauge going up a few days ago; yesterday, the coldest day in Denver history, -10 degrees, the temperature gauge kept going up and down randomly in local traffic.

4) The mechanic thinks I'm actually lucky the radiator cap doesn't seal correctly. He figures this lessens pressure on the system. He's of the opinion the car would be smoking with a tight fitting radiator cap.

He recommends yanking the thermostat, putting in BG head gasket sealer, and replacing the radiator cap. The downside: no heat, probably no AC, no defrost. Maybe it will run "richer." The upside: he thinks I could actually do some light travel and make it from say, Denver to Taos. And back (hopefully)

Needless to say, conventional mechanics trained to fix engines, not prolong life with BHG at 258k, don't exactly agree with this mechanic.

Any and all opinions appreciated. I'm just looking for the best way to gain some borrowed time while I save up for a new Legend.
Walter Pinkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 03:53 PM   #36 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pinkham View Post
Hi. Well I guess my 1991 Legend L wasn't quite immortal - I have to face head gasket reality at 258k. The car's body isn't nice enough to warrant a head gasket repair. But I would like to be able to get around a little longer, as the car is generally operable and is not smoking.

My big question is whether to pull the thermostat or not. An mechanic experienced at living with BHG suggests I can get greater use out of the vehicle if I remove the thermostat.

Here's the present situation:

1) There is oil in the coolant, but not coolant in the oil. The coolant does bubble. There is evaporation out the tailpipe. Yanked all the spark plugs, but didn't see damage in the cylinders. So all signs point to BHG, maybe early onset.

2) Idle is very rough when the car is cold; the car likes to go forward without me hitting the gas pedal (at any temperature; this is getting worse).

3) Went 80 miles round trip in 50 degrees (outside air) without the temperature gauge going up a few days ago; yesterday, the coldest day in Denver history, -10 degrees, the temperature gauge kept going up and down randomly in local traffic.

4) The mechanic thinks I'm actually lucky the radiator cap doesn't seal correctly. He figures this lessens pressure on the system. He's of the opinion the car would be smoking with a tight fitting radiator cap.

He recommends yanking the thermostat, putting in BG head gasket sealer, and replacing the radiator cap. The downside: no heat, probably no AC, no defrost. Maybe it will run "richer." The upside: he thinks I could actually do some light travel and make it from say, Denver to Taos. And back (hopefully)

Needless to say, conventional mechanics trained to fix engines, not prolong life with BHG at 258k, don't exactly agree with this mechanic.

Any and all opinions appreciated. I'm just looking for the best way to gain some borrowed time while I save up for a new Legend.
Sorry to say your mechanic dont know what he is talking about.
First, never put headgasket sealer to stop leaks.
Second, never yank the thermostat which that will promote bhg faster than expected.
Third, ensure that your thermostat is opening if not replace immediately before your heads go.
Fourth, if your lower hose is cold to the touch and the upper hose is hot to the touch, then replace the thermostat. Purchase from Acura. You'll be surprise how your car recovers and everyone thinking is a bhg.

How do you know you have oil in the coolant. What color is it?
Do you have any deposits at the engine oil cap?
When pulling the spark plugs is it wet with oil?

I thought i needed a headgasket job, i also replaced the water pump because it wasnt circulating. The lower hose cold and upper hose hot.
I purchased the Acura thermostat cost me 50.05 comes with the gasket.
Now i dont have the overheating problem. Just ran 60 miles today. My mechanic told me i dont need the headgasket he saved me $2000.00.

All along it was the thermostat and prior to replacing the water pump he asked me if the thermostat is new and I said yes not even six months old. Purchased it at Parts Authority. Sure enough all of that nonsense was due to the aftermarket thermostat while they told me is OEM. Acura only sells the original parts.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-11, 03:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

Car 1: '92 Acura Legend LS

I have heard some good things about Blue Devil Head Gasket Repair. $35 with free shipping from Amazon or about $50 at AutoZone. As I understand it, its a liquid that hardens in high heat without gunking-up the radiator/water pump/heater core. As I recall, it won't work on other leaks, only high-heat like the heads. Its my Plan B for when the time eventually comes.

My "free" 92 LS
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 06:10 PM   #38 (permalink)

---see below . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo659 View Post
Sorry to say your mechanic dont know what he is talking about.
First, never put headgasket sealer to stop leaks.
Second, never yank the thermostat which that will promote bhg faster than expected.
Third, ensure that your thermostat is opening if not replace immediately before your heads go.
Fourth, if your lower hose is cold to the touch and the upper hose is hot to the touch, then replace the thermostat. Purchase from Acura. You'll be surprise how your car recovers and everyone thinking is a bhg.

How do you know you have oil in the coolant.

---Diagnosed by two (craigslist) mechanics. One semi-experienced, one experienced.

What color is it?

---Kinda greyish, I believe.

Do you have any deposits at the engine oil cap?

---No.

When pulling the spark plugs is it wet with oil?

---No.

I thought i needed a headgasket job, i also replaced the water pump because it wasnt circulating. The lower hose cold and upper hose hot.
I purchased the Acura thermostat cost me 50.05 comes with the gasket.
Now i dont have the overheating problem. Just ran 60 miles today. My mechanic told me i dont need the headgasket he saved me $2000.00.

All along it was the thermostat and prior to replacing the water pump he asked me if the thermostat is new and I said yes not even six months old. Purchased it at Parts Authority. Sure enough all of that nonsense was due to the aftermarket thermostat while they told me is OEM. Acura only sells the original parts.

---Well, the thermostat was replaced in the last few years. I have sold Hondas and Acuras, so I probably got it from a dealer, though I'm not sure. Though I also sold Toyotas - so maybe it was OEM, not true Acura.

Hope this helps.
---I appreciate your theory, and I'll definitely investigate the hoses. Though a lot of posts on other threads say replacing the thermostat just delays the inevitable. . .

---Where are the hoses you're referring to located?

---Thanks.
Old 02-02-11, 06:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
---see below . . .

---I appreciate your theory, and I'll definitely investigate the hoses. Though a lot of posts on other threads say replacing the thermostat just delays the inevitable. . .

---Where are the hoses you're referring to located?

---Thanks.
Well its up to you if you want to spend the money on headgaskets that you may not need just a simple thermostat from Acura nowhere else thats on you brother. That is what everyone else on this forum actually told me and I was about to do that until i visited an Acura Service Station in Valley Stream and Brooklyn and these head mechanics and managers actually explained to me the difference in diagnosing a headgasket replacement. If you can visit an acura dealer in your area please do so and ask for a hydrocarbon test to determine headgasket failure. They are also about to discontinue these tests because they are being replaced by computers for newer cars. I know about the hydrocarbon test from BIGBOY he knows about it very well.

I would have spent a good $2000 to replace the headgaskets just to have the sample problem. Maybe you do have a bhg that need to replace. Only you can decide on that.

Wish you the best.

Anyway, the hoses i am referring to is on the radiator. If you lower hose is cold and the upper hose is hot you may want to replace the thermostat.
Old 02-02-11, 06:41 PM   #40 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
I have heard some good things about Blue Devil Head Gasket Repair. $35 with free shipping from Amazon or about $50 at AutoZone. As I understand it, its a liquid that hardens in high heat without gunking-up the radiator/water pump/heater core. As I recall, it won't work on other leaks, only high-heat like the heads. Its my Plan B for when the time eventually comes.
Hi LowPSI,
I also heard about Blue Devil but a salesperson from Autozone told me not to buy it because it will damage the engine, the valve seals and the heads. Although, i heard the contrary, i heard is the best thing for a seeping headgasket that will not hurt the engine on the contrary it will increase performance. There is a video form youTube scottkilmer.com he also suggest a headgasket sealant is good but don't wait until the hole gets bigger that is how you can damage your engine.
Old 02-03-11, 08:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

OK, I broke down and made an appointment for a $25 BHG-or-not test at an actual Acura dealer for Monday morning. So that will be the last word. I'll report back . . .
Old 02-04-11, 08:36 AM   #42 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
OK, I broke down and made an appointment for a $25 BHG-or-not test at an actual Acura dealer for Monday morning. So that will be the last word. I'll report back . . .
There you go. That is your first step finding out if you do have a bhg.
$25.00 wow that is cheap. My way acura charges $109 plus tax. LOL

well good luck on that and i hope is not a headgasket failure.
Old 02-06-11, 02:16 AM   #43 (permalink)

It's a compression test, not a hydrocarbon test, but I know the dealership, and they take care of plenty of Legends and have "old time" mechanics. I'll ask about the hydrocarbon. btw I've had a lot of luck with craigslist mechanics for less severe malfunctions. The same guy who recommended yanking the thermostat replaced a tie rod for $40 bucks and the part was only $30. The car drives 1000% better, so the dude wasn't a complete moron.

Although the engine has been a little off its feed, it still feels strong, so maybe there will be a miracle and your inclination will be correct. I'd sure like to hit 300,000!
Old 02-06-11, 04:59 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
It's a compression test, not a hydrocarbon test, but I know the dealership, and they take care of plenty of Legends and have "old time" mechanics. I'll ask about the hydrocarbon. btw I've had a lot of luck with craigslist mechanics for less severe malfunctions. The same guy who recommended yanking the thermostat replaced a tie rod for $40 bucks and the part was only $30. The car drives 1000% better, so the dude wasn't a complete moron.

Although the engine has been a little off its feed, it still feels strong, so maybe there will be a miracle and your inclination will be correct. I'd sure like to hit 300,000!
I never mentioned that your mechanic is a complete moron LOL
But he may not know what he is talking about. Ok I spoke to head mechanics and managers in Acura Dealership. There is two test you can do.
First is Compression Test will check for compression in your cylinders which need to remove the spark plug in order to perform the test. This will tell you how much psi it returns whether is low pressure or high pressure you may have a problem. You would need to see the psi on your catalog.

Second, is the hydrocarbon test which detects if there is any gases in your coolant in your system that may be causing erratic idle and overheating or having oil mixture in the coolant this will immediately tell you have a blown headgasket.

We're trying to help you, we told you what it is, if you rely on your mechanic, then stick with him, you will learn the hard way.
We're always here to help people in need.

Peace.

92LegendCoupe at your service.

Last edited by bravo659; 02-06-11 at 05:01 PM. Reason: grammar
bravo659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 03:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Correction. The mechanic was a moron. And you, sir, are a god!

Guess what - no BHG!

They did the hydrocarbon test and spent two hours going over the car for $25 - that's my karma cause I used to sell there and it was not fun.

Turns out I need to replace the radiator (leaking in several spots) and the hoses. And the thermostat. And the heater core hoses, though that is less essential.

300,000 here I come!

Those repairs, needless to say, will cost almost as much as the car is worth if done at the dealer. Now that it's diagnosed properly, would it be safe to assume I don't need these relatively simple services performed by a dealer?

Also, I will take your now esteemed advice and definitely get the Acura thermostat, but would you try to save some money on the radiator, and, if so, which one would you recommend? I'd love a metal one, but $450 is not in the budget lol.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)