Head Gasket Questions - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-11, 03:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pinkham View Post
Correction. The mechanic was a moron. And you, sir, are a god!

Guess what - no BHG!

They did the hydrocarbon test and spent two hours going over the car for $25 - that's my karma cause I used to sell there and it was not fun.

Turns out I need to replace the radiator (leaking in several spots) and the hoses. And the thermostat. And the heater core hoses, though that is less essential.

300,000 here I come!

Those repairs, needless to say, will cost almost as much as the car is worth if done at the dealer. Now that it's diagnosed properly, would it be safe to assume I don't need these relatively simple services performed by a dealer?

Also, I will take your now esteemed advice and definitely get the Acura thermostat, but would you try to save some money on the radiator, and, if so, which one would you recommend? I'd love a metal one, but $450 is not in the budget lol.

Thanks again!
Hi I am glad that is not bhg. Yes get the thermostat from Acura. I paid 50.05 locally so its worth it to get it the same day.
Radiator yes get the Visteon that is what i currently have on my car for over 3 years now no problem nor leaks. Its the same radiator i had on my car when i purchased it. They are good radiators and easy to install. You would need to get a new thermosensor for the new radiator. Its me something new i get the other parts new that would go with it.

I am glad that is all you have to invest into your car.
yes now 300,000 miles good to go.

LOL

Keep me updated.

Desi

Last edited by bravo659; 02-07-11 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add content
bravo659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-11, 10:12 AM   #47 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 legend Ls

i might be gettin a legend. it's a fully loaded one i say with about 150k on it.
there's a catch...supposedly it has a blown head gasket.
how much would one pay for a legend with this problem?
also how hard is it to do the job?
Old 02-13-11, 12:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7legend View Post
i might be gettin a legend. it's a fully loaded one i say with about 150k on it.
there's a catch...supposedly it has a blown head gasket.
how much would one pay for a legend with this problem?
also how hard is it to do the job?
Don't buy it.
it will run you some money to fix the problem.

92LegendCoupe

Old 02-13-11, 03:14 PM   #49 (permalink)

well i already priced the head gasket which is about 40 bucks each side...felpro.
that excludes my discount.

i mean what else is there.
i was gonna get water pump, tensioner for t/b, the timing belt.
i mean if i get the car dirt cheap, (which i know i will) i might be better off getting.
cause if i do get another one and pay 2g's or more and it hasn't had the head gasket replaced i should get this one, replace the head gasket and don't worry about this problem again?
Old 02-13-11, 05:27 PM   #50 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
well i already priced the head gasket which is about 40 bucks each side...felpro.
that excludes my discount.

i mean what else is there.
i was gonna get water pump, tensioner for t/b, the timing belt.
i mean if i get the car dirt cheap, (which i know i will) i might be better off getting.
cause if i do get another one and pay 2g's or more and it hasn't had the head gasket replaced i should get this one, replace the head gasket and don't worry about this problem again?
If that is what you want to do yes you can and is great getting the car dirt cheap what the heck. The way i look at it I rather purchase a new engine.
If you're the one doing the work then is ok. Aside getting the headgaskets you will need intake gaskets, exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket, and since you'll have the engine apart replace all the hoses. Also the heads need to be milled mandatory.

If you'll replacing the water pump do so, get the tensioner, timing belt get it from Acura and the thermostat also from Acura, the hoses i got it from Acura so you should do the same. You will not be sorry trust me you'l have this car for a long time. You may have to replace the VSS unless you don't have any problems. I guess that is all the major stuff needed to be replaced but remember the hoses in the rear of the engine especially the water outlet hoses and gaskets replace them because the engine is open you'll be able to reach up to all the hoses easily. Since you also have the heads removed and sending it to be milled it is a good time to replace the valve seals makes life easier to work on the car.
Best Wishes on your new car.

92LegendCoupe
Old 02-13-11, 08:10 PM   #51 (permalink)

thanks...hopefully though.
he said one person wants to buy it for parts and junk it. buit me and another buddy are trying to save this car.
i feel as though if i can replace a trans mission in maximas like 4 or 5 times. and other stuff i can do this.

how much should i expect to pay to have the heads done?
Old 02-14-11, 08:12 AM   #52 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
thanks...hopefully though.
he said one person wants to buy it for parts and junk it. buit me and another buddy are trying to save this car.
i feel as though if i can replace a trans mission in maximas like 4 or 5 times. and other stuff i can do this.

how much should i expect to pay to have the heads done?
Well,
Acura dealer is $3000.00 I'd rather get another engine for less.
Regular mechanic $1500 - 2000 I still rather get a new engine.
DIY way less money and time consuming but accomplishment 100% satisfaction.

You still need the gasket kit for intake gasket and exhaust gaskets and other o-rings and stuff that is needed to be replaced when you take apart the engine and should replace all hoses since your engine is apart and easier to replace the hoses at that time. You really don't know how the water pump is or the timing belt i rather replace that too since i am already there plus the tensioner.

Milling the heads that price i have no idea how much a machinist charge.
But i know it would be something like $500-700 in parts alone. Depending where you get the parts.

Go to acuraoemparts.com and get it there.
If not price your localAcura dealer.
If you're not in the a hurry then get it from acura in delray florida link above or checkout Rockauto that is where i got my water pump and the rest from Delray Acura - Online Acura Parts Store

92LegendCoupe

Last edited by bravo659; 02-14-11 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-14-11, 05:06 PM   #53 (permalink)

hmm...maybe i should get a motor.
my guy at the junk yard can let me bite one for a hundred bucks.
thanks to the maxima i now know what to look for when buying a motor or tranny from the junker's...impounded or booted cars.

or i can spend another...$200 at another junkyard and get the motor from there, and they now offer a one year warranty.
Old 02-15-11, 09:17 AM   #54 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
hmm...maybe i should get a motor.
my guy at the junk yard can let me bite one for a hundred bucks.
thanks to the maxima i now know what to look for when buying a motor or tranny from the junker's...impounded or booted cars.

or i can spend another...$200 at another junkyard and get the motor from there, and they now offer a one year warranty.
LOL you guys break me up.
why not go to jdm and get your motor there.
I wouldn't trust junk yard motors. You don't know their condition.
You'll ask them how is the motor and tell'll you that is like new giving it away for$100.00 and you'e quick to pay for it. Anyway, its your choice.

If it was me, I'll do my own with the diy in this forum.
Time consuming is all it is.
Old 03-05-11, 08:06 PM   #55 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L

Just wanted to say I'm back on the road cruising (now at 259,000) after replacing the radiator - I went Koyo, since I'm still planning to sell the car (stout trooper, served me incredibly well, but not pretty enough for long term commitment) - thermo (from dealership) and hoses. But at least now I don't have to do anything hasty, I can take my time and be selective. Those one-owner with service records from nice home cars are out there if you have patience.

I tried a wonderful museum piece yesterday, a '98 RL Premium owned by an office worker at an Acura dealership with all service records and recent inspection. Drove like new with 247,000 miles. Needed nothing, everything worked, ran like a dream, $3,000. Alas, it was more bouncy and boat-like than a Legend. So great deal, wrong car.

Looked at various older Honda Accords including several museum pieces. Hard to go back after Legend even though though they were nice from nice homes.

Tried a Legend coupe with low miles but no records - nice, a real looker, but gotta have the records.

I've also been enamored with '98 TLs, but haven't found a "creampuff" with records. Seems people beat on these for some reason. Didn't realize the 2.5 is a race car. I'm leaning in that direction, nice size compromise between Legend and Accord. Really tracks the road well. Surprised it theoretically doesn't get better mileage than a Legend since it appears to be lighter.

Trying a promising '95 Legend tomorrow.

Thanks again for forcing me to get hydrocarbon test!
Walter Pinkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 10:20 PM   #56 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pinkham View Post
Just wanted to say I'm back on the road cruising (now at 259,000) after replacing the radiator - I went Koyo, since I'm still planning to sell the car (stout trooper, served me incredibly well, but not pretty enough for long term commitment) - thermo (from dealership) and hoses. But at least now I don't have to do anything hasty, I can take my time and be selective. Those one-owner with service records from nice home cars are out there if you have patience.

I tried a wonderful museum piece yesterday, a '98 RL Premium owned by an office worker at an Acura dealership with all service records and recent inspection. Drove like new with 247,000 miles. Needed nothing, everything worked, ran like a dream, $3,000. Alas, it was more bouncy and boat-like than a Legend. So great deal, wrong car.

Looked at various older Honda Accords including several museum pieces. Hard to go back after Legend even though though they were nice from nice homes.

Tried a Legend coupe with low miles but no records - nice, a real looker, but gotta have the records.

I've also been enamored with '98 TLs, but haven't found a "creampuff" with records. Seems people beat on these for some reason. Didn't realize the 2.5 is a race car. I'm leaning in that direction, nice size compromise between Legend and Accord. Really tracks the road well. Surprised it theoretically doesn't get better mileage than a Legend since it appears to be lighter.

Trying a promising '95 Legend tomorrow.

Thanks again for forcing me to get hydrocarbon test!
I know exactly what you mean.
I purchased my legend from a used car dealership back in Aug 2005, and they just had gotten the car from upstate ny. I saw it and jumped on it. The dealership owner saw me in the car with an unlit cigarette and told me to get out of the car and his employee told him relax the car is his now. LOL
I left a deposit of 3000, and the car selling for 4995 no tax on it. The mileage was 228,000. Smooth engine and everything else in it. One owner to dealership not even 24 hours in the dealership. I had the opportunity to push them for the registration, I got the insurance faxed to them within 30 minutes of purchasing the car and i took it for them to get it inspected. At first i was scared driving it and took off like a jet every since I wouldn't trade it for another other car especially when i raced it at 130 mph and a 180 turn at 90 mph held tight and hugged the road. Today its 279500 something like that. Now just the wear and tear, water pump, sensors, hoses and temp, now the upper arms, ball joints and sway bar links to be replaced also the door lining may attempt to fix it first and repaint it otherwise junk yard will have one at a good price. I am glad you got yours running.
Old 03-10-11, 09:32 PM   #57 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LS (RIP @ 289,000)
Car 2: 94 Acura Legend L

tomorrow i am planning on replacing the drivers side HG of my 92 legend. Is there a way i can get around having to place the engine at top dead center? if not what is a good way to do so. is there a good DIY somewhere on here? thanks in advance.
92acuralegend85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 10:10 AM   #58 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92acuralegend85 View Post
tomorrow i am planning on replacing the drivers side HG of my 92 legend. Is there a way i can get around having to place the engine at top dead center? if not what is a good way to do so. is there a good DIY somewhere on here? thanks in advance.
Hi, you may have to get in contact with Iceman which was the original poster of the Headgasket DIY for the images. Below is the link to his tutorial.

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...t-d-i-y-65753/

Also see from manual: http://www.atfinley.com/service/inde...&z=2690&r=0074

Your question to TDC: Once you remove and replace the headgaskets the best way to turn the engine is when everything is off and you actually see your # 1 Piston on top thats TDC. Maintain it and place everything back on.

good luck.

92LegendCoupe

Last edited by bravo659; 03-11-11 at 10:20 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 03-26-11, 03:09 PM   #59 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Legend LS 6spd Coupe
Car 2: 02 CL-TypeS i/h/e

Well I've blown my headgasket. Not sure if I should replace it or or just sell the car to a junkyard and take a $1,700 loss that I still owe on it.

I was driving yesterday and my car was overheating, dropping back down, overheating, and dropping back down. I went and bought a thermostat and planned on replacing it today. While I was driving yesterday the car made a "POP" and white smoke poored out EVERYWHERE! Poored out of the engine and the exhaust so I'm assuming it was a BHG. A local shop quoted me roughly $1,500 for parts, labor, and tax with a 12month warranty. I'm a little skeptical to get this replaced b/c I had noticed coolant leaking from either the top oif the radiotar or the top radiator hose. I don't want to replace the headgaskets only to find my heads are warped or I need a new radiator and all the hoses. I had been driving the car overheating for a while now as I had no other option. What should I do? If I should get it replaced what parts should I make sure they replace besides just the head gaskets

Last edited by Scheibler; 03-26-11 at 03:18 PM.
Scheibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 12:43 PM   #60 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheibler View Post
Well I've blown my headgasket. Not sure if I should replace it or or just sell the car to a junkyard and take a $1,700 loss that I still owe on it.

I was driving yesterday and my car was overheating, dropping back down, overheating, and dropping back down. I went and bought a thermostat and planned on replacing it today. While I was driving yesterday the car made a "POP" and white smoke poored out EVERYWHERE! Poored out of the engine and the exhaust so I'm assuming it was a BHG. A local shop quoted me roughly $1,500 for parts, labor, and tax with a 12month warranty. I'm a little skeptical to get this replaced b/c I had noticed coolant leaking from either the top oif the radiotar or the top radiator hose. I don't want to replace the headgaskets only to find my heads are warped or I need a new radiator and all the hoses. I had been driving the car overheating for a while now as I had no other option. What should I do? If I should get it replaced what parts should I make sure they replace besides just the head gaskets
Hi what you probably and most likely blew was a radiator hose, of course when engine is hot and coolant all over the engine white smoke will appear but does not mean its your headgasket. Where ever you coolant lands on the hot engine steam will appear ok, so lets not say its the headgaskets yet.

This has happened to me as well. Inspect your radiator, and lower and upper hoses. Those are the main coolant hoses. Also check for the hoses near your water pump and the water outlet in the rear of your engine.

Check on your radiator for any holes. If anything, remove the radiator and run water through it to see if you have a leak.

Otherwise, all you have to do is replace your hoses. Check every hose possible I had one of my hoses busted from the EACV. $50 bucks to replace.
Make sure your thermostat is OEM or from Acura use Delray Acura - Online Acura Parts Store you will have no more problem onces everything is replaced.

I've know people spend $2000 on headgaskets replacement and still with the same problem. Hold off on the headgaskets and do the above and let me know whats up.

92LegendCoupe
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)