Head Gasket Questions - Page 6 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-11, 09:47 PM   #76 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Be brave. If you feel that replacing the head gasket is long overdue, just do it. I know very little about car, but I was able to take the 93 L intake manifold apart and replace the head gasket...of course with the help of the posting (Mike ???) in this forum. For when you take on this project, you'll have the chance to clean at least various parts of the intake manifold and EGR. A new head gasket might help solve various mysterious issues with your car performance. Just like previous wrote, "It's worth it."

It's a lot easier to replace head gasket in 93 Legend than in 98 Prelude.
obrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-11, 11:17 AM   #77 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend
Car 2: 1999 Sebring Convert
Car 3: 1988 Mazda Rx7

I am new to the forum and having bouight a 1991 Legend with 373k and a BHG I am finding this all very interesting (I got it real cheap). My son the engineer is doing the head work and we are learning a lot along the way. Repairing bad head bolt holes that someone messed up before is a real learning experience. It requires special tools and inserts. Be sure to get the head checked to make sure it is flat otherwise you will be wasting your time. I paid about $80 to have a shop make sure it was correct. Will let you all know how it turns out. Should be done in a few more days. Don
Raceboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 03:22 PM   #78 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboone View Post
I am new to the forum and having bouight a 1991 Legend with 373k and a BHG I am finding this all very interesting (I got it real cheap). My son the engineer is doing the head work and we are learning a lot along the way. Repairing bad head bolt holes that someone messed up before is a real learning experience. It requires special tools and inserts. Be sure to get the head checked to make sure it is flat otherwise you will be wasting your time. I paid about $80 to have a shop make sure it was correct. Will let you all know how it turns out. Should be done in a few more days. Don
Bad head bolts? My cousin is a new mechanic graduated from Lincoln Tech and he learned a lot about cars. He told me about the head bolts tend to snap right off and need to tap the holes for threads again and get new bolts. I guess getting the right tools and bolts for this occasion is the best thing we all can do unless someone else hasn't messed with it before. I am second owner to a 92 legend and runs smooth but been having issues with overheating and the fans won't come on due to faulty relay. I have to winterize my car in the same token i will be testing and checking out the relays and thermosensor pretty soon. Good luck with your head gasket job keep us posted.

Old 09-05-11, 01:41 AM   #79 (permalink)

Car 1: Ford Probe
Car 2: Mazda Mx6
Car 3: Lots More Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo659 View Post
Bad head bolts? My cousin is a new mechanic graduated from Lincoln Tech and he learned a lot about cars. He told me about the head bolts tend to snap right off and need to tap the holes for threads again and get new bolts. I guess getting the right tools and bolts for this occasion is the best thing we all can do unless someone else hasn't messed with it before. I am second owner to a 92 legend and runs smooth but been having issues with overheating and the fans won't come on due to faulty relay. I have to winterize my car in the same token i will be testing and checking out the relays and thermosensor pretty soon. Good luck with your head gasket job keep us posted.
Maybe just try buying new bolts without tapping and diying em out

Bomb Diggity Site: Paint Car How To
precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 04:46 PM   #80 (permalink)

Well, unfortunately the last "mechanic" did a botch job on a couple of the bolt holes (back at the firewall). My son was meticulous installing a couple of helicoils and cleaning out all the other bolt holes. We bought the long helicoils (33mm I think) and bought the supposed proper install tool made by Helicoil. Something of a waste of $200. Cleaning up the bolt holes is imperative. We did a lot of extra work to make sure the bolts would torque to 56lbs before actually putting on the head. I can explain if interested. Anyway, it's coming together and I'll advise the outcome in a few days. Don
Old 09-07-11, 11:39 AM   #81 (permalink)

Car 1: Ford Probe
Car 2: Mazda Mx6
Car 3: Lots More Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboone View Post
Inserts... Special tools..

Bomb Diggity Site: Paint Car How To
precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 01:06 PM   #82 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura legend L coupe 6spd

Someone please help ! i was driving yesterday, drove fine andeveryting, i come home for a second leave my car on and parked on the driveway. I comeoutside and white smoke is coming frim my hood. When i opened the hood we could hear the leak and see see coolant being sprayed but couldnt find from where. i will look again today. BHG? ill be devastated
Old 09-07-11, 02:23 PM   #83 (permalink)

I would think that if it was a BHG the water would be going inside the cylinders to burn and not spraying around under the hood. There are lots of places where water can escape. Hoses, bad radiator, numerouis little water connections...like around the intake manifold. Very hard to find the source of some of these, but if you have had no overheating problems I would suspect something other than the Head Gasket. Hope this will give some clues to follow. Don
Old 09-07-11, 05:41 PM   #84 (permalink)

thanks man, i think its a hose somewhere but i dont know yet. About to go take a better look. I saw spraying from behind and a lil beneath the #6 cylinder area. Ive never had problems before with overheating. I thing a hose or something bursted. Ill keep updated, any input from anyone will be much appreciated. I may cry if i have to say goodbye to my legend.
Old 09-10-11, 03:39 AM   #85 (permalink)

Car 1: 94' L Coupe Red

So I just replaced my radiator with Koyo and thermostat with OEM a couple thousand miles ago (radiator was cracked). I almost overheated the car yesterday, checked under the hood and the rad overflow reservoir was full to the top. I let it cool down then started it up with the cap off and refilled the radiator with the overflow excess plus some extra coolant, bleed the air out and checked the exhaust, it smells sweet and had some condensation coming out. I didn't notice any whiteness under the oil cap, but there was some brown stuff in the coolant, floating, very little.
1 - Should I get the Head-gasket checked? If so what is the cheapest way?
2 - What else could this be?
3 - If this is a blown hg what is cheapest: Swap engine with 3.5RL, swap with used 53k type II engine ($1245), get hg (valve seals, heads machined, etc.) redone?
thanks for any tips and price estimates would be appreciated
unh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 05:01 AM   #86 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Hydrocarbon test will tell you, The smartest option is 3.5 swap imo. no more worries of bhg plus more power and smoother engine.

If the engine has never been severely over heated there's no need for shaving the heads.

One of the best mechanics that work on these engines on a daily basis strongly suggest not doing so, it can and will cause detonation!

If the heads a warped replace them.
Old 09-12-11, 05:08 AM   #87 (permalink)

wasnt a bhg just a hosee was a B**** to replace but i did it myself and all is goodd.. so happy
Old 05-13-12, 09:08 PM   #88 (permalink)

Car 1: 2008 Ford Focus SES
Car 2: 2004 Jeep Wrangler
Car 3: 1994 Acura Legend LS

Hey guys and gals, so I'm mid-way through the rebuild process of a BHG job on my '94 LS and I noticed on the back of the driver's side head there is a opening for the connector pipe that goes to the heater core, in the Service Manual it's called the "Rear Outlet Pipe" but my FelPro gasket kit didn't come with a gasket for that and I can't seem to find anything to suggest I would need a gasket as it didn't specify in the Service Manual either and the only little things I've dug up say use RTV/Hondabond?

I haven't talked to the dealership yet but I thought I'd like to ask you all since there's probably much more experience related to my question here then at a service counter. Thanks!
fauxpas104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 07:03 AM   #89 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Honda bond it is.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 01:01 AM   #90 (permalink)

Car 1: 2008 Ford Focus SES
Car 2: 2004 Jeep Wrangler
Car 3: 1994 Acura Legend LS

Well it seems so, I'm still gonna talk to the dealer before I do anything
fauxpas104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)