How the hell do I remove the ashtray? Driving me nuts! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-10, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Legend LS 6spd Coupe
Car 2: 02 CL-TypeS i/h/e

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How the hell do I remove the ashtray? Driving me nuts!

So I'm trying to remove my headunit. I've got the auto shift knob off, along with the plastic piece. I popped the woodgrain trim loose, but can't get it off b/c of the damn ashtray. I'm reading a guide that says I need to remove two screws behind the ashtray for the headunit to come out. However it doesn't tell me how to get the ashtray off!
Scheibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-10, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

NVM JUST GOT IT OUT! Thought the whole plastic piece behind it came off too. wow
Old 10-08-10, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I pulled the cointray out after takin out those screws. Tried moving the ground wire around and re-pluggin everything in. Headunit is still acting up. Gonna need to buy a replacement or aftermarket unit

Old 10-08-10, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
if your going after market check out my fs thread.
Old 06-10-11, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Okay ....please count me in on this one: on my 91L sedan, the catch is broken that holds the ashtray drawer in ...so its always hanging out, open. When I push it in, it does not catch and stay closed. Can someone please explain clearly (perhaps with pics) how to remove the ashtray drawer, and perhaps how to repair the problem?

By the way, I just picked this car up last week:1991 L 4 door, automatic, rosewood brown pearl colour, tan moquette cloth interior, 244k kms (151,000 miles). All original, with only a few minor body dings, and very minor rust just in front of the rear wheels. All the electronics, etc. still work, except for the rear passenger side power window motor. Gonna repair the rust, and drive it for a year or so. (added to my collection: 89L sedan, 90LS sedan, and 93 Integra GS sedan)
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend L Cloth Type II Auto
Car 2: 1994 LS Coupe 6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger89L View Post
Okay ....please count me in on this one: on my 91L sedan, the catch is broken that holds the ashtray drawer in ...so its always hanging out, open. When I push it in, it does not catch and stay closed. Can someone please explain clearly (perhaps with pics) how to remove the ashtray drawer, and perhaps how to repair the problem?
I'm currently doing a burlwood console refinish job and will be doing the ashtray drawer removal soon just for laugh and giggles on the plastic console I'm taking out of my car.

I'll take plenty of pictures once I figure it out.

Old 06-10-11, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

To remove the ashtray:

remove the center console.

On the back of the console there will be phillip screws that hold the ashtray to the center console.

There is a little latch that falls out that keeps the ashtray in. The same same little latch is what makes the cup holder stay in. I fixed both of mines, I had the get the little piece of metal from the junk yard.

If Kevin doesn't do it I will snap some pics on how to remove/ repair the ashtray.
Old 06-10-11, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey, thanks a bunch. There's LIFE on this forum!! Wooo hooo!!
Old 06-10-11, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOY View Post
There is a little latch that falls out that keeps the ashtray in. The same same little latch is what makes the cup holder stay in. I fixed both of mines, I had the get the little piece of metal from the junk yard.

If Kevin doesn't do it I will snap some pics on how to remove/ repair the ashtray.
Are you kidding?

I fixed my cup holder several months ago by looking at the TSB on it. The little pin in my cup holder was missing! I fabricated one from one of the little thingies that you stick in a basketball to put air into it. I kept cutting it until it was the right length to keep the cup holder closed without locking it.

I'll get to the ashtray switch over and review this weekend. (I hope)
Old 06-10-11, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

When you guys are talking about cup holders, you're talking about the cup holder in the centre armrest lid ...right? Because all of my Legends (unfortunately) are "pre-cup holder" editions! Do you guys know if a centre console lid, with cupholder, from a later model Legend sedan will retro-fit to my '91??
Old 06-10-11, 09:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

yes the armrest will work in your 91.
Old 06-10-11, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HondaOwner View Post
Are you kidding?

I fixed my cup holder several months ago by looking at the TSB on it. The little pin in my cup holder was missing! I fabricated one from one of the little thingies that you stick in a basketball to put air into it. I kept cutting it until it was the right length to keep the cup holder closed without locking it.

I'll get to the ashtray switch over and review this weekend. (I hope)
When I removed my ashtray the piece was laying in the track. I went to the JY for the cup holder pin. (I wish I had thought of using the air needle.)
Old 06-10-11, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is picture of air needle finally cut down to fix the cup holder in my car. Just had to take a needle nose pliers to put it in the correct place and now my unit works as it was intended. I'm sure ash tray has the same system.

Old 06-10-11, 11:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good to know! On my next scavenging tour of my favourite wrecking yard I definitely try to snag one. Are there any other compatible lids I should watch for ...TL's or Vigors for example?

BTW I was able to resurrect the motor in the rear passenger door power window mechanism: took the motor apart; cleaned off the commutator with some fine sandpaper, lubed it up the bearings; put it back together (a little tricky) ...fired it up, and amazingly it works. There's $200 bucks I won't have to spend!!! Feels good!!
Old 06-11-11, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! I took out the ashtray last night ....simple, like you guys said: two screws at the back of the coin tray, some careful prying, and off the whole unit popped. I checked the operation of the drawer, and found that the little "L" shaped pin that sticks up and is supposed to track in the "in-out" slot on the bottom side of the draw was just flopping around, so I re-tensioned the flat strip of spring metal that holds the "L" pin in place ...and that was it! Works like new. I lubed up the channels with some white grease just to improve the sliding operation a bit.

You know, I've been tinkering with these Acuras since I bought my first Legend in 1995 ....and it never ceases to amaze me how "over-engineered" (in a good way) these cars are! I think there is more technology in that ashtray draw unit than there was in an entire old 1959 VW bug that I once owned!!!
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.

Last edited by digger89L; 06-12-11 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)