How To Read The ATF Dip Stick? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-20, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Honda Legend Coupe.

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hello again.

I was wondering how does one read the levels on the transmission fluid dip stick?

I'm aware that the fluid needs to be between the two markings, but what exactly does that look like?

The photo attached (please pardon the bluriness) shows the atf fluid level from my most recent transmission fluid check.

It may not be clear, but the atf coating on the level indicator is concentrated towards both the upper and lower indicators, and less concentrated in the centre.

The atf coating itself goes from the tip of the metal (see the shine?) to just a couple hairs above the upper indicator (hard to see) .

The rest of the metal above that has no atf coating.

The atf seems to be in good condition. No burnt smell to report.

Is that ok? Or should the level indicator be filled with pink fluid? Is this how you read the level indicator?

I ask, because recently (at 278,036 km) I cleaned the valve bodies, changed the filter again, and changed the fluid. I put 5L of the recommended Castrol atf. I know that you're supposed to put in 3.3L of atf, however after checking the fluid, it wasn't enough. The atf fluid coating wasn't near the upper level indicator. And thus, I put in all 5L of the atf.

And so, did I read the levels right? Did I put enough fluid in? I don't want to overfill, so I wanted to ask before I proceed.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
How To Read The ATF Dip Stick?-img_20201117_155025_1605622614585.jpg  

Last edited by Underthebluesky; 11-17-20 at 10:25 AM.
Underthebluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)