If your auto tranny shifter locks in park . . . - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-06, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If your auto tranny shifter locks in park . . .

This post summarizes what I learned from this website when I had a shifter lock problem on my 94 auto tranny Legend. I'm summarizing because the info was scattered and I hope to make it easier for others.

First, make sure you have your foot on the brake when you try to shift from park. It's a safety feature.

If the shifter is still locked, don't fool around. You may have no brake lights and the vehicle behind you may soon be in your back seat.

Try the horn. If the horn doesn't work or sound normal, there is probably a bad fuse in the under the dash box at slot 13 (7.5 amp).

If the horn works, check the brake lights. If the brake lights don't work, cruise control probably dosn't work either, and the problem is most likely a bad brake light switch. The brake light switch is just above the brake pedal and is easy to replace, unless like me you have less than nimble fingers, a bad back and bifocals. Get a new switch (Honda's are the same as Acura's and should cost less, although expect to pay $60 or more). Look at the online Service Manual on this website to get a diagram of the brake pedal/switch mechanism. Then move the driver seat as far back and level as you can, get in the seat upside down so you can see the brake pedal/switch under the steering wheel. Unless you are a bumble fingered, stiff, bifocaled old guy like me, you should be able to replace the brake switch in 5 minutes.

If the shifter locks, but the horn, brake lights (and cruise control ) work, the problem most likely is a bad shifter solenoid under the center console. You can find info on that problem on this website, but I won't summarize it. As long as you have brake lights, you can get by unlocking the shifter with your key in the shift unlocking slot. It's a nuisance, but doesn't risk having an 18 wheeler rolling over you because you have no brake lights.
Don R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-06, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend LS

I had the same problem with my shift lock and found out it was a bad brake light switch. I had trouble sticking my big hands up under the dash but eventually I got it. I couldn't believe that such a small thing could cause so much of a headache. I bought the Honda part from a friend who works at the dealer and got it for $30. This is a good write up of what to look for in case this happens again.
kamaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Acura Legend L

Excellent Summary

Great Summary. Went to Acura Dealer who didn't have brake switch in stock,
but wanted $72 for part and $110 for installation. Went to O'Reilly Auto, got Brake switch for $39, installed myself in about 15 minutes. Now I can shift out of Park and my brake lights work again. Thanks to Don R for posting such a comprehensive post on this subject. I love this forum. You guys are great.
Markers1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-10, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 acura legend gs

So I had the same problem, but now the fuse keeps blowing.
I have a short somewhere in the system. I have disconected the horn and the brakelight. Still shorted. I am next going to try the brake switch and the shift lock solenoid. If that isn't it, I am screwed. \
Anyone else ever have this?

KC
kcpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 04 TSX 6MT SSM
Car 2: 08 TSX AT PWP

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
These brake light switches do fail, but not that often. Therefore, plenty of used ones are available from forum members selling parts. You should be able to find a used brake light switch for $10-15 shipped from lots of sellers.
CT-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

isnt there a way to bypass it so that you can at least get home?
White02CivicSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend L

unable to shift from park

Hello, I cannot shift out from park, horn does not work, and cruise does not work. So, I checked fuse, they are all fine (of course, #13 fine). Any more to think about?
Thanks.
hoydooyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 acura legend L coupe

Send a message via Yahoo to tydrotype2
my horn never worked from when i got it and my CC never worked either!!!!

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)