Acura Legend Forum banner

Legend vs RL??

8K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Gothche 
#1 ·
So I have a idiot friend over here that thinks his 96 RL can take my 93 Legend in a 1/4 mile.. I already know the outcome, but for some reason he wants proof, and I dont really want to risk the consequences of a street race.:giggle:

HAhah so let me know what you guys' opinon.. Legend or RL??

#4 ·
^ What he said definitely. I raced my brother's 2000 RL with my auto 3.2 Legend and he only beat me by a 1/2 car length.

#11 · (Edited)
Once more I have to make something clear...
The 1996 RL Engine(produces 210hp/224 torque) isn't more powerful than the Legend type2 engine(produces 230hp/206 torque).

The 1996 RL(engine) has the following specs:

Hp: 210 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 224 lbs-it @ 2800 rpm
Redline: 5900 rpm
Fuel cutoff: 5900 rpm

The 1995 Legend Type2(engine) has the following specs:
Hp: 230 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 206 lbs.-ft @ 5000 rpm
Redline: 6700 rpm
Fuel cutoff: 6900 rpm

The RL engine is more powerful than the type1 though.

Also the weight for the cars is: 3660 lbs for the RL and "3538 lbs for the 1995 Legend LS Coupe manual trans." and "3582 lbs for the 1995 LS Coupe with auto trans." so in reality it's only 122 lbs heavier than the Legend coupe and with less power. Compared to the manual trans Legend GS (3571 lbs) or auto Legend GS (3616 lbs) the difference is only 44 lbs when comparing the two auto trans cars (auto Legend and RL which is only available in auto at that year). Offcourse there is the RL Premium as well but the increased weight(3693lbs) serves no other purpose than the extra comfort and security features. So no need to take that into consideration.
The meaning off all this is to show that the Legend type2 engine is actually more powerful than the RL engine. Ofcourse later on the RL got crazy, but until that day came the RL was shit compared to the Legend type2 as far as performance goes.

RL: 3660 lbs
Legend sedan type2 auto: 3616 lbs
difference: 44 lbs.

#12 · (Edited)
The RL engine is more powerful than the type1 though.
I don't know if that makes a difference, i've been kicking my cousin"s ass in his 98 Rl long before i did anything to MY 92 LS sedan Type I, and its a automatic, maybe it's the driver :lol:, but the manual definitely makes a difference

#19 · (Edited)
It's not about the type1 versus the type2, but the RL versus the Legend and I just used the Legend type2 engine and no it's not all about the torque.... sorry but that's just a fact. It's the mix of the two and not just having a high torque number and no HP. the weight difference between the RL and the type2 Legend sedan is only 44 lbs, so I don't think that will make such a big difference. The engine of the type2 is in fact more powerful than the RL(1996). In fact the type2 Legend engine has 2 more if you add horsepower and torque together, but I must admit that the RL(96) reaches it's max torque at much lower rpm and therefor it has an advantage, but to say the RL engine is more powerful is nonsence. Power is in fact KW / Horsepower and the Legend type2 does in fact produce 172.8KW(taken from Japanese official ratings) where the RL only produces 156-157KW, so the type2 Legend engine is more powerful. The question then is if the RL's higher torque gives it an advantage though the HP rating is lower, there I guess the streets or tracks will show the result.

Also the Japanese type2 and the USDM type2 are the same. The reason why the Japanese says 235HP is because it's in DIN HP and not SAE net HP. The type2 Legend is rated as 172KW in the states, but as 172.8KW in Japan, but the result should be the same, because the engines are completely the same. If I take the american SAE net rating at 230 HP and convert that into DIN HP it becomes 233. If we take the Japanese rating for the Type2 Legend it has 235 DIN HP and that becomes 232 SAE net HP.
So even though we only take the american rating the Legend still produces 16-15KW more than the 1996 RL engine.

Also it's not all the way up to 2800rpm but from 2800rpm and up. But the real result happens when the max HP is reached as well.
So yes the RL has a better pull, but a lower power / speed.
But ofcourse when swapping the RL engine to a lighter car will make the increasement in torque work, but still the type2 Legend engine is more powerful.

#18 ·
Legend 3.2 all day

As long as u got the wheel cuz a lil screw up he will get you cuz the only threat u are to him is that u weight less and in your case the manual part too .The engine is almost the same but the weight difference takes car of the lil power he has over the type 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.