Looks like I'm headed down the "Headgasket Highway"....again - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-07, 08:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
NIce work! How many hours do you think you put into it?

Was there any concern with machining the heads a second time?
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-07, 11:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

Around 25 hrs.
The first time was a 92L w/217K. I didn't machine the heads that time. No problems. The Second time was a 94LS w/187K. I didnt machine the heads this time either. No problems.
Old 02-07-07, 11:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Jetdoc,

Did you over-torque the head bolts (as has been mentioned several times) on this car?

Old 02-08-07, 02:14 AM   #49 (permalink)

Car 1: CL-S (Daily Driver)
Car 2: ObsidianBlack KA8

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Socol
A week ago I decided to man-up and replace the seeping head gaskets on my Legend. Keep in mind that the most car work I've done myself was change the oil / spark plugs and such, so my mechanical skills aren't the greatest. But I do own a 251 piece Craftsman set of tools and I can't afford to pay the $1000 to $1500 price quote that most shops charge for this job. Thus, I began to do the whole thing myself.

Today, I'm about ready to put my heads back on, the only thing holding me back is replacing one knock sensor (If anyone has one PM me ASAP and can someone tell me what size of wrench I need to take off the broken knock sensor with, I'm guessing 26 or 27 mm).

As Swift suggested I am using RL gaskets and I intend to re-torque them to 62 pounds (any other suggestions welcome). I had the gaskets replaced about a year ago but I made a mistake of not using OEM gaskets so here is the price to pay for that. Also, someone asked about resurfacing the heads twice; I've just done that without a problem.

Socol's Basic Website
Socol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 11:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCammedUp View Post
Jetdoc,

Did you over-torque the head bolts (as has been mentioned several times) on this car?
Yes, I torqued them to 62 ft lbs.

Quote:
can someone tell me what size of wrench I need to take off the broken knock sensor with, I'm guessing 26 or 27 mm).
An adjustable wrench works fine.
Old 02-22-07, 04:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs up

Nice job jetdoc!

Need discount software? Check out www.CheapAntiVirus.com!
VDM GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 05:02 PM   #52 (permalink)

Car 1: '91L Cobalt Blue Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
what are your shortcuts? I'm gonna have to change mine soon

Last edited by HeyChef; 02-24-07 at 04:15 AM.
HeyChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:35 PM   #53 (permalink)

Car 1: 1999 Acura TL w/ Nav
Car 2: 2005 Odyssey EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socol View Post
A week ago I decided to man-up and replace the seeping head gaskets on my Legend. Keep in mind that the most car work I've done myself was change the oil / spark plugs and such, so my mechanical skills aren't the greatest. But I do own a 251 piece Craftsman set of tools and I can't afford to pay the $1000 to $1500 price quote that most shops charge for this job. Thus, I began to do the whole thing myself.

Today, I'm about ready to put my heads back on, the only thing holding me back is replacing one knock sensor (If anyone has one PM me ASAP and can someone tell me what size of wrench I need to take off the broken knock sensor with, I'm guessing 26 or 27 mm).

As Swift suggested I am using RL gaskets and I intend to re-torque them to 62 pounds (any other suggestions welcome). I had the gaskets replaced about a year ago but I made a mistake of not using OEM gaskets so here is the price to pay for that. Also, someone asked about resurfacing the heads twice; I've just done that without a problem.
Did you torque the non OEM gaskets to 62 pounds when you did it the first HG job? Just wondering if you had used OEM but not torqued it to 62 pounds, if they would have still blown.
1992 L Sedan - Phantom Gray Pearl (Black/Black) (178K, RIP - 18 year old ran red light)
JamLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 05:14 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamLegend View Post
Did you torque the non OEM gaskets to 62 pounds when you did it the first HG job? Just wondering if you had used OEM but not torqued it to 62 pounds, if they would have still blown.
I remember I had them torqued to at leased 58 pounds maybe more, the first time around. However, considering everything was done perfectly and there was nothing else that could have gone wrong, the only logical conclusion is that the head gaskets were of poor quality. This was supported by the fact that they (gaskets) were falling apart at the seams, so to speak, when I took them off the block.

Socol's Basic Website
Old 02-24-07, 09:05 AM   #55 (permalink)

Thanks for the confirmation on that, JetDoc. I'm going to be doing the same on mine.

Socol - you mentioned using RL gaskets (as recommended by swift)? I did (several) searches and couldn't find the proper combination that would yield any thread where this was discussed for the 2nd-gens. Can you point me to this discussion? I'm going to use OEM head gaskets as of right now....just curious if the RL gaskets are that much better.... I don't want to be doing this twice.

Thanks guys - this is a great thread.
Old 02-24-07, 06:19 PM   #56 (permalink)

^^^ Here you go: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=95499

Wasn't much of a discussion, and looks like you've read that thread before.

Side note: You'll need more things then I mentioned in that thread, Cam Seals come to mind...

Socol's Basic Website
Old 02-24-07, 09:08 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socol View Post
^^^ Here you go: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=95499

Wasn't much of a discussion, and looks like you've read that thread before.

Side note: You'll need more things then I mentioned in that thread, Cam Seals come to mind...
Thanks Socol. Yeah, I remember that thread... I was hoping there was more to the discussion than just that. Thanks for the reply, though.

Do you know any data that suggests the 3.5L gaskets to be better? I've got the OEM gaskets ready to go on now, but I'd spring for a set of 3.5's if it'll keep this from happening again. I'm just a bit apprehensive since this topic (BHG) has been around for a long time, and there's not much evidence (other than what Swift says) on the forum to suggest that the 3.5 gasket is a definite fix.

Has your experience shown the 3.5 gaskets to be a direct fit?
Old 02-24-07, 10:46 PM   #58 (permalink)

Well here is my logic behind using RL head gaskets; they were made for the more "advanced" C series engine; more "advances" aspects in the BHG realm include:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson View Post
1. Balancing shaft
2. Less cooling lines / passages (makes for fewer leaks, thus fewer overheating problems leading to the BHG.
3. Higher torque on headbolts from the factory.
from what I understand the torque on RL heads is higher so I'm sure the head gasket was "reengineered" to some extent in order to comply with the added pressure. And last of all, and probably the biggest reason why I went with RL gaskets was simply because I felt like trying something new and maybe, possibly, hopefully, better. I'm curious what Mike Diaz would say about the RL gaskets.

Forgot to mention that from my not so expert opinion, the RL head gaskets fit perfectly.

Socol's Basic Website
Old 03-18-07, 11:10 PM   #59 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
bumpy bump
Harooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 09:20 AM   #60 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
RL and Legend gaskets look exactly the same to me. I don't think there's any difference between the two.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)