Mystery Coolant Loss - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-03, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Mystery Coolant Loss

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board. Wife's car is a 95 Legend Sedan 5 speed.

Car has 107,000 miles on it. I had Timing Belt, water pump, T-stat, radiator replaced about 15,000 miles ago.

Car seems to lose coolant. This has happened a few times. Noticed while I was warming car up yesterday idle was fluctuating badly, and car did not seem to have good heat. Wife drove car to work and called me. Looks like it puked coolant out of overflow somehow..... we have noticed this before also.

Well, this morning I added about 1/2 gallon of coolant and let car run for quite awhile.... car idled great, and showed NO signs of anything wrong.

Any ideas?

Could it be a bad head gasket pressurizing the coolant system and blowing the coolant out the overflow? Is this common?

I read on a few threads about bad possible bad radiator caps?.... that seems to easy?

67GTONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-03, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

have you tried bleeding the air out of the system?
newowner92LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by newowner92LS
have you tried bleeding the air out of the system?
After I topped off system and ran for quite a awhile, there is no signs of air in the system.

I am more concerned with the fact that after awhile the radiator gets low and shows signs that it blew out of the overflow, even though I never witness it actually doing it.

Old 11-12-03, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 2012 Acura MDX Advanced
Car 2: 1994 Acura Legend GS
Car 3: 1999 BMW M Roadster

Send a message via AIM to legend921
You might need a new radiator cap. Give that a try.
legend921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: .

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by 67GTONUT
After I topped off system and ran for quite a awhile, there is no signs of air in the system.

I am more concerned with the fact that after awhile the radiator gets low and shows signs that it blew out of the overflow, even though I never witness it actually doing it.
after you have topped it off, squeez the upper radiatorhose a few times. That is how I got the last of the air out of my system. My mothers 300m was "puking" coolant every once in a while. It turns out that her car has a radiator cap on the overflow container . I replaced that, and all has been fine. The way I found it was to actually have it "puke" when I was driving. That was I got to pop the hood and see where it was comming from. It was clearly that cap because it was hissing and spitting at me. I hope this helps.
Later!
Lee
sleeprlegendcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

Is the temp needle acting crazy? Creeps up toward hot then back down....anything like that?
Old 11-12-03, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetdoc
Is the temp needle acting crazy? Creeps up toward hot then back down....anything like that?
Only when the coolant was the 1/2 gallon low, my wife said it went up once.... did not get to the red..... came down right away.

I have been in the auto business for 15 yrs.... service & sales. I really see no actual signs of bad head gasket. No white smoke, car runs fine, coolant looks ok...... just seems to get low every once in a while, and shows sign of blowing out the overflow. Seems very wierd to me.
Old 11-12-03, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

I'm not sayin you have a blown head gasket but, This engine doesn't give the classic blown head gasket
symptoms your talking about. It's more like a seeping head gasket. All you can do is start with the easy stuff like, check for leaks, replace thermostat, radiator, ect... until the problem goes away. In my case the problem didn't go away until I replaced the head gaskets. read https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...threadid=35465 for some info.

Jetdoc
Old 11-12-03, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Mine is doing the same exact thing right now, I'm leaning towards the fact that I'll be spending 14 hours replacing head gaskets. Sounds like fun. If you DIY, it's only a $400 job, if you have somebody else do it, you're talking $1500 or more. Your local Acura dealer can diagnose a head gasket failure better than anyone with a typical leak down test. A better way to find out, is to let the car cool down, then remove the radiator cap, fill the coolant, then start the car, let it warm up and watch for bubbles

Bubbles = 95% chance of a blown head gasket.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

from your description the coolant is being forced out of the radiator into the overflow bottle, which should only happen when the radiator cap rated psi is exceeded.....this can happen if the cap is defective, at the wrong rating (13 psi), or the wrong cap. When you replaced the radiator did you replace the cap....most of the replacement radiators use a different cap than the original....so if you retained the original cap, that could be a problem......your car also exhibits excess amounts of air in the system (the revving up and down). The system is properly bled by filling the radiator while cold, with the bleed nut on the upper hose mount to the engine being open. fill until you get a solid stream of cooolant exiting the bleeder nut. Make sure the reservoir is filled correctly too. Tighten down the correct cap on the radiator and start and run engine with HEATER ON full blast. when the fans have cycled a couple of times you know it is hot enough. Then, being very careful, crack the air bleeder nut again......likely that it will spit air out that it has picked up by circulating the system. do this a few times untill all you get is solid stream of coolant....don't burn yourself. This should do the job if there are no leaks in the system. Top off reservoir to max line and see how it behaves over the next few weeks.
bigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Geez..... talk about opposite ends of the $$$$ repair..... so it's either a $30 Radiator cap or $1500+ Head gaskets.

bigdad, yes we used the same cap as with the original radiator, but that was 15,000 miles ago, and the problem did not surface right away, so I would say the OEM cap fits correctly, but maybe has just given up the ghost.
I think I will try a new OEM cap, and go through the bleed procedure. If the problem comes back...... bye bye Legend..... I'd rather put the $1500+ , plus the value of the car into a new CL-typeS!!!
Old 11-13-03, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

if u cant find out where the air is getting in the system, then (ya i know i tell everyone this) check ur heater core. feel ur pass. side floor mat and under the pass.side dash, feel for coolent. and see if ur interior is smelling like coolent. my car was over heating on and off for months. I replaced, rad. caps, T-stats, hoses, radiators, did a water pump and timing belt change, even tho my mechanic said it looked like somebody had already done it not to long ago. and it would still over heat, 2 mechs. said it was a blown head gasket, but i refuse to belive them, i have no white or blue smoke in my exaust, and my plugs are not fouled. turns out my heater core went bad, so i just replaced it and am still putting my interior back togather.
best of luck
drew
legendcoupe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 01:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

All very valuable feedback from our members.

As bigdad suggested, try changing the radiator cap and see if the problem goes away.

Have you ever replaced your radiator?

In my case also, the coolant was being forced out of the overflow tank and car was heating up. I changed the radiator cap but nothing happened.
Then I found out that the radiator was clogged. Replaced the radiator and everything was fine again.
ILOVELEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 01:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cole Austin

legendcoupe93, when your heater core went bad... did the inside of your car get a film on the windows? A greasy film that built up over time?
Old 11-13-03, 01:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Have you ever replaced your radiator?
[/B]

Radiator is new..... was done when Timing belt, waterpump and T-stat was done.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)