O2 Sensor DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-05, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
O2 Sensor DIY

I can't post DIY's Yet, but this week I did both of my O2 sensors thought that if anyone is interested, I could post a DIY for both of them. After doing it, I can't believe it is the same car!!!! :p WOW!! What a difference it made!! Mine were origional with 169k on them. I bought them for 100 bucks a piece (denso) at a parts wharehouse here is SLC. Let me know, and I can make a good DIY. (also include how to post pics)
champ5spd4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-05, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
DIY would be awsome to have!!!!
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did you change them as preventative maintenance or were you getting a check engine light? I was thinking of changing mine (not sure when it was last done) in hopes to improve gas mileage a bit but I'm not sure if it will make a difference.
HiTek21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-05, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I did them as preventitive maintence on my car. I have never got a check engine light. I try to take care of that before it goes off. (although not everything can be done to do this) I thought I was getting bad gas milege. It has dropped rapidly (from 24-25 to 19-20 in a few months) I have a manual, I have gotten close to 30 one time with 140k on the engine but those days before changing the sensors seemed to be even more few and far between. I always run premium fuel. But, we will see how it goes with the new sensors. I havn't driven it enough to know that the O2 sensors were the problem.
Old 07-02-05, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 88 GOLD SD- 92 LS SEDAN

Yesssss. I wanna seee I wanna dooo.!

thanks for offering the DIY would love to have it. Kudos.
mitchmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, for all those of you who wanted an O2 DIY....Here you go. NOW POSTED!!!

You will need:
O2 Sensor (right or left or both)
LONG extension ( I bought an 11" extension that worked good)
O2 Sensor Socket (there are short and long ones GET THE SHORT ONE!)
PB Blaster (or other penitrating lube)
Rachet with a long handle (this will be important to have a long handle because they are RUSTED IN THERE)
A 10mm socket

Right Side (Passenger side of the car)
This one was easily accessible and I didn't have to undo anything to get to it. That is why I did it first. First, spray amply with PB blaster and let soak for a few minutes. Do this a couple of times letting soak for a few minutes each time. (You can do this once and try to get it but if you can't then let it soak a couple more times). Undo the connector to the O2 sensor located at the front of the engine (On this side it is pointing down on the side of the TB cover). Let the wire hang loose and stick the O2 sensor socket on the top of the O2 sensor and use that LONG extension with a long rachet to get that monkey out. Solid constant pressure against that rachet will help to loosen it.

Putting the right side in:
This is kinda tricky being as it is at a WEIRD ANGLE (it took me an hour to get it) Stick the new o2 sensor in the socket keeping hold of the wire along the extension. (now the tricky part) Turn the extension with your hand as not to cross thread the O2 sensor until you feel it get tight. LET THE WIRE WRAP AROUND THE EXTENSION! That is the key to putting it in because the wire coming off the O2 sensor rubs against the side of the engine and screws it up. Next, plug her in and you are good to go.

Removing the Left Side: (Manual Tranny) I am not sure about a Auto Tranny just read and you will see why but it shouldn't be hard to figure out for an auto.

This took a few extra minutes to loosen a heat shield that is necessary to remove to get to the O2 sensor. On my manual transmission, the clutch hose was attached to the bolt that holds in the heat shield (10mm bolt), so I had to remove the bolt that attached the clutch hose and LOOSEN the far (toward the middle of the car) I didn't remove the far bolt as to not take out the heat shield but to allow it to swivel. I removed the bolt underneath the fuel filter as to let the heat shield swivel now out of the way toward the middle of the car. Next repeat the same procedure to remove the left O2 sensor. Repeat the same procedure to put the new one in as explained above. You may find that it is easier to wrap the wire around the extension and then start putting it in the hole. The connector for the left side is located just below the oil fill cap. Put the heat shield back into place. and plug that monkey in.

YOU MAY NOTICE:
That the new wires dont have a rubber attachment to put under the heads in the clips that are located under the heads. I cut mine off the old wires and attached them on the new wires by cutting them lengthwise (so they don't just dangle there) and cutting the little silver clip on the end perpendicular to your lengthwise cuts to get them off and just attach them.

If there are any questions, feel free to post them or contact me with a PM.
Thanks and good luck my fellow legenders!!!
Old 07-04-05, 03:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

How long do the O2 sensors usually last?
So they need special socket like spark plugs? are they 3/8 or 1/4 inch drive?

Thanks for the DIY.
ndhduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Domesticated Redneck
Duck Hunt Champion

Car 1: 2004 TL 6-Speed

Send a message via AIM to Rumnarv
No the special socket is not needed, but you will wish you had one while changing one on a Legend. The socket is longer than most deep sockets and has a slot down the side so you can run the wire out of the side. You can get one at an auto parts store for a few $$.

There is no specific ammount of time that one will last, but I do know if your car has ever had a BHG or has been running too rich then you will need to change them.

No Mods
Rumnarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumnarv
or has been running too rich then you will need to change them.

what do you mean?
jackdanielsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Domesticated Redneck
Duck Hunt Champion

Car 1: 2004 TL 6-Speed

Send a message via AIM to Rumnarv
Several things will make a car run rich, for example a bad coolant temp sensor or map sensor will tell the ECU to dump more fuel into the engine causing the Air / Fuel ratio to go from the normal 14.7:1 to more like 12:1. The more fuel in the mix will mean less air causing a real dirty burn, more soot and unburned gas will eventually clog the O2 sensor and even worse the cat.

When a car is running rich you will notice really black smoke and a really bad smell.

No Mods
Rumnarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

I was glad I had my O2 socket. It helps a lot because it is A LONG WAY DOWN THERE. It is a 22mm (or 7/8") socket with a 3/8" drive. It has a slit in the middle of it for the wire to go into.
Old 07-05-05, 04:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Have you noticed any increase in your mileage yet?
HiTek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nope, still 20 driving it city/highway with a manual
Old 07-06-05, 02:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ5spd4dr
Nope, still 20 driving it city/highway with a manual
What was the condition of the old sensors? Can you tell if they were clogged up?
ndhduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

No, but one thing I did replace that will help if failing was a coolant temp sensor. I have gotten 100 miles on just a little under the F (usually I sit 1 mark below the F line with 70 miles on a tank) driving 80 mph on freeway with a manual. My left side (the one under the heat shield) had a lot of white crap on it but the right side didn't have as much. All I know is that they were rusted in there good and hopefully by changing my coolant temp sensor (15 bucks at napa and A LOT easier to change than a O2 sensor, 5 min compared to 2 hrs) I hope to get the gas milege back up to 25 city/highway. One time I got 29mpg (over 400 miles on one tank). The coolant temp sensor, if failing will cause the gas to air ratio to raise a little. You might want to check that if you are getting bad gas milege. (15 bucks to know that what you have on your dash is accurate is pretty good Id say) I will keep you posted on the results of the mpg and see if I am wrong but I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)