Overheating 101 - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-05, 05:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Jetdoc's writeup should be a must read for all new Legend owners.

I think the key thing is to recognize the symptoms of a cooling system problem, and then to fis it *right away*. If you read this writeup, see the symptoms, and ignore them, you deserve an expensive repair!
Tinkindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-05, 12:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray
Au contraire. 99.995% of the time the BHG occurs at #3 or #6 because they are at the farthest point in the cooling system with the exception of the heater core. I guarantee you a poll on this Forum would show the same.
my legend overheated 2 times already. i'm doing the head myself , i'm think it various. the first time was 2 ,5,6 and the second time 2 and 3 .
kkiepvvessau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

I dont know if these are the same symptons as a bhg, but i hope not. My heat gauge will go up to hot, but either go down by itself when i turn the heat on, or drop when i get over 3k rpms it seems. The heat will come on but it take a long time to warm up.

Any ideas what this may be thats causing the heat gauge to flux as well as my heat to take a very long time to heat up, usually like 20-25 minutes i think.

Thanks
Mike95SE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-05, 01:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Start by making sure the coolant is full at the radiator. (when it's cool of course)
Old 03-08-05, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 White KA7 L, cloth, Stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95SE
I dont know if these are the same symptons as a bhg, but i hope not. My heat gauge will go up to hot, but either go down by itself when i turn the heat on, or drop when i get over 3k rpms it seems. The heat will come on but it take a long time to warm up.

Any ideas what this may be thats causing the heat gauge to flux as well as my heat to take a very long time to heat up, usually like 20-25 minutes i think.

Thanks
Mine was doing almost the same thing. It never went over normal temp, but I didn't have heat unless I ran the engine aover 2500 rpm. Then it worked fine. I eventually got the cooling system full and all of the air out and now it's perfectly normal and wirking fine.
02 18' car hauler dual axle, brakes, diamond plate steel deck - For sale after I haul the 914/6 tub home from S.L.
93 White Legend L sedan, 5spd. - New DD Ride
88 Jeep Cherokee - Going to ASU next fall with my stepson and all my money
72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne - Parts runner
70 Porsche 914/6 - Tub stripped, rust repaired, paint almost finished
67 Chevy C20 - Rust Free! For sale
Gint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 06:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 acura legend l series

Send a message via AIM to LEGEND718 Send a message via MSN to LEGEND718
good info thanks
LEGEND718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 White KA7 L, cloth, Stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gint
Mine was doing almost the same thing. It never went over normal temp, but I didn't have heat unless I ran the engine aover 2500 rpm. Then it worked fine. I eventually got the cooling system full and all of the air out and now it's perfectly normal and wirking fine.
I should update this. After bleeding the cooling system and filling the resevoir bottle, I kept checking the bottle. I found myself adding a few ounces of coolant to the bottle every few days for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I wathced the temp gauge like a hawk. Once bled, and since I was keeping the resevoir topped up, the heat worked fine and the car still never over heated. But I kept wondering where the coolant was going. No signs of a seeping HG or visible signs of a leak, but a 1000 mile round trip to Salt Lake and back finally brought the source of my coolant loss to the surface. Prior to the trip I could never see any coolant leaks anywhere. But immediately after the trip, I could finally see coolant on the bottom of the rad and it started to leak enough that it was also dripping on the ground. I found the leak in the rad when I pulled it out. Halfway up on the driver's side towards the engine, right along the edge of the core.

I put a new radiator in it last weekend and it's no longer losing coolant and running great.
02 18' car hauler dual axle, brakes, diamond plate steel deck - For sale after I haul the 914/6 tub home from S.L.
93 White Legend L sedan, 5spd. - New DD Ride
88 Jeep Cherokee - Going to ASU next fall with my stepson and all my money
72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne - Parts runner
70 Porsche 914/6 - Tub stripped, rust repaired, paint almost finished
67 Chevy C20 - Rust Free! For sale
Gint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend sedan

Send a message via AIM to david7700 Send a message via Yahoo to david7700
Thumbs down arargh!

I recently purchased a 1992 acura legend with a small amnount of smoke comming from the tailpipe. Well i figured it was no big deal, but now huge clouds come out and it is barely drivable, This BHG problem is very dissapointing. My car only lasted me 5,000 miles and now it will cost more than the price of the car to get it repaired. Well im gogin to fix it because the Legend is an awesome car, good luck too all the other Legend drivers out there! :p
Old 03-31-05, 01:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
When our Sedan had a bad HG a while back, it developed it in Cylinder #6 I believe. It would overheat even WITHOUT the thermostat.
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 01:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Sedan L / 94 LS Sedan/ 94 Milano Red Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPolak
great write up .
i must say im in the sec scenario. lots of air getting in to system and cooland getting pumped back to bottle. no smoke ,no leaks. it started overheating 2 times but i pulled over. since than i bleed air about twice a week by opening the bleeder bolt after coming home fron work. all the air get out ( aprox. 3 to 5 sec. of air comes out.) im preatty sure it HG, i got new pump hoses , termo radiator. it stated acurring since this winnter. also a interesting observatino i discovered. with car running rad. cup off and bleed bolt off with full cooland in ssytem there is no bobles coming and cooland stay level in radiator. as soon i turn heat on ,the cooland starts dripping from radiator like is geting pushed out from inside. when running heat my car proly will overheat in maters of 2 days , with no heat i till take aprx 2 to 3 weeks to overheat. tha'ts makes me thing was up with that . im planing to bypass the heater core and see what will be the resolts.
94 Green Sedan LS sold
94 Milano Red Coupe LS sold

04 Lexus GS 300 perl white
DJPolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend sedan

Send a message via AIM to david7700 Send a message via Yahoo to david7700
My car overheats much quicker with the heat on, I think it just circulates the coolant accelrating the head gasket problem, Hopefully after i fix the head gasket i can use my heat freely...
Old 12-09-05, 06:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

after having the problems which are typical for having air in the cooling system, I filled it up today. The problems haven't accured again so far.
How serious is the fact that my engine got overheated a few times in the last days?
Because I've read that the HG will definitely brake some day if the engine overheats once.
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 06:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

With these Legends you just don't know. But it is not "if" but "when" is the HG going to fail. Maybe you got lucky.
Old 12-09-05, 11:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car 1: 91L 5spd blue cpe
Car 2: 92LS 5spd gray cpe
Car 3: 93LS 6spdgraycpe 3.5

Hi, I am not an expert. My 91 coupe had temp problems that cascaded into: radiator.
hoses, thermostat, flush, refill with Honda fluids. etc. My personal belief is that I
have a leaking head gasket; I manage it at unreasonalble levels by checking the coolant level, bleeding the system, monitoring the overflow/expansin tank. I have been
doing this for 160,000 miles. It started at 90,000 miles. The dealer and the radiator
people still say it might be just cooling, not head gasket. Right. What about the light
blue smoke.
Bottomline: I used the CRC "pass any emission test" stuff, I check my fluids about
three times a week. Winter is worse (no heat.) I use Acura type 2 AF if I can get it.
Finally, I purchased another 5 speed coupe with no symptoms and am committed to
maintenance as a preventive. I still want a head gasket job or a JDM type ll for the
original coupe. Two to four thousand dollars will not buy a comparable car these days.
But, how many years can you drive a 14-15 year old car? That is the bottom line:
cost benefit trade-off. The diagnosis becomes clearer when one checks the wallet.
If you are in doubt about the BHG, a test is available from NAPA for about $50.00.
I think the test is called Chemical blue; it identifies hydrocarbons at the radiator.
a place they should not be. Your choices remain: deal with it, repair it, sell/trade it.
When in doubt, get tested. Remember, my heater was cold at 90,000; I have about
240,000 miles at present. The car will die long after your patiance wears thin. It can
be a real hassle in the interim; especially if family and friends are second quessing you.
Try the NAPA test materials if you are in a quandry. Cooling system problems may
initiate the "syndome" but I think that ongoing problems are BHG that then appear
as possible cooling system problems. The "air" is coming from Cyl 3 and 6. The
coolant in the expansion tank was pushed out by the air from 3&6. Fiddling with the
Fluids is like taking aspirin for an appendicitis; symptom relief, not problem solving.
Hey; meanwhile, enjoy the ride for a few more years.
Boru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 12:48 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boru
I manage it at unreasonalble levels by checking the coolant level, bleeding the system, monitoring the overflow/expansin tank. I have been
doing this for 160,000 miles. It started at 90,000 miles.
How often do you do those things? How fast does the coolant disappear?
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)