Overheating 101 - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-07, 02:18 AM   #46 (permalink)
difficult to kill

Car 1: 1995 L coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brynosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Au contraire. 99.995% of the time the BHG occurs at #3 or #6 because they are at the farthest point in the cooling system with the exception of the heater core. I guarantee you a poll on this Forum would show the same.
i just bought my legend this weekend. the seller had great mainanence records, and for the record on here, it had the #6 reported as bad with ~109k on the engine. problem is, on the receipts only a $458 purchase of 'gasket kit' was mentioned and billed for. the timing belt and water pump had been replaced at 88xxx miles, on another receipt. what worries me is that no labor was paid for the bhg, just the kit, and no work other than the water pump has been done to the cars cooling system (as far as i can tell by going through the receipts). i dont know how to tell if lucky #6 got replaced properly or even replaced at all.....

how do i tell if the bhg got fixed? im all paranoid and could use some peace of mind.

all the info on here is amazing, but it will take a bit of time to read through everything regarding this. thanks a ton though =)

Last edited by brynosaur; 04-11-07 at 04:38 AM. Reason: more research
brynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-07, 12:01 AM   #47 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i'm having the same problem. My legend's temp gauge is reaching the H. but it gradually goes down. but not down to normal. i see no leakage. but there is a minimal amount of oil residue to the right of the engine(where it says honda motor co. on the metal part of the engine). Is that a leakage do to the overheating?how can i fix the problem? i'm worried that my head gasket might be going...... is it too late. i bought it a month ago and as far as i had it it over heated three times...........help me guys...you guys r my leg. mechanics..
angelesdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 12:05 AM   #48 (permalink)

i refuse to ride it any longer until the problem is solved. i'm not trying to mess my baby up more than what she's showing.
angelesdbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-07, 04:38 AM   #49 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 acura legend 5 speed sedan
Car 2: 1970 Pontiac GTO :)
Car 3: 99' Infiniti G20t

Send a message via AIM to Status01
My car dropped like two quarts of oil in the cooling system before i realized but i see no antifreeze in the motor oil........the car is umm.....underconstruction right now but still driving it shit sux....
rev speed meter gauge
Intake
17"enkei wheels
Playstation 2
alpine alarm and stock alarm
remote starter
Status01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 11:54 AM   #50 (permalink)
what!

Car 1: 95 LS Coupe 6 spd
Car 2: 02 TT225 Quattro 6sp
Car 3: 94 L Cpe 6spd - sold

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to kotetu Send a message via AIM to kotetu Send a message via MSN to kotetu Send a message via Yahoo to kotetu
I think this would be a pretty good sticky.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
makes his putts....

Car 1: 91LS Coupe w/ typeII swap
Car 2: 1966 Mustang
Car 3: 06 GTI 2.0 turbo

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Bump- great information here.

+1 on this being stickied
Old 05-04-09, 05:52 PM   #52 (permalink)

mmmm i just found carbon in the radiator, dose that mean i might have a small air leak to a BHG? it was over heating on short drives.
KA7end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 12:29 AM   #53 (permalink)

I was doing a bit of driving, more than usual tonight. I drove about 120 miles doing 70-80 the whole time, which is alot more than I usually do. Ive never had any problems with the cooling system. After I got off the highway after about 110 miles of driving, I was doing about 30 on a backroad and I noticed my temp was slightly above normal. I kept watching it and it just jumped almost to the type in a matter of 5 seconds, and than dropped back to normal. When I opened both windows, I could hear a sh-sh-sh-sh noise outside the right window, and it would get faster the faster I drove. I started freaking out thinking I got a bhg. When I got home I noticed there was a small amount of smoke inside the coolant resoivor. Anyone know whats going on?
peteypolak275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:08 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypolak275 View Post
I was doing a bit of driving, more than usual tonight. I drove about 120 miles doing 70-80 the whole time, which is alot more than I usually do. Ive never had any problems with the cooling system. After I got off the highway after about 110 miles of driving, I was doing about 30 on a backroad and I noticed my temp was slightly above normal. I kept watching it and it just jumped almost to the type in a matter of 5 seconds, and than dropped back to normal. When I opened both windows, I could hear a sh-sh-sh-sh noise outside the right window, and it would get faster the faster I drove. I started freaking out thinking I got a bhg. When I got home I noticed there was a small amount of smoke inside the coolant resoivor. Anyone know whats going on?
i bought my legend for 3gs (before i joined a-l.com) which was far too much for the mileage it had (fell in love with legend at first sight, so money didn't matter to me) but i test drove it, let it idle, etc with no issues. the guy obviously knew the head gasket was seeping but i had no idea. bought it, drove it ~300 miles back at 55-80 mph, just enjoying the ride. few months later the overheating began and i joined a-l.com. realized the bhg was an issue and replaced the engine (since it was such high mileage and was cheaper than buying a new car).

replaced the radiator, swapped the engine with a ~100k used one. odometer just rolled past 250,000 and i still love my hunk-o-junk. the next car i buy will definitely be a legend coupe but now i know what i know and made a few mistakes. fell in love with a legend
231k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:09 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 231k View Post
i bought my legend for 3gs (before i joined a-l.com) which was far too much for the mileage it had (fell in love with legend at first sight, so money didn't matter to me) but i test drove it, let it idle, etc with no issues. the guy obviously knew the head gasket was seeping but i had no idea. bought it, drove it ~300 miles back at 55-80 mph, just enjoying the ride. few months later the overheating began and i joined a-l.com. realized the bhg was an issue and replaced the engine (since it was such high mileage and was cheaper than buying a new car).

replaced the radiator, swapped the engine with a ~100k used one. odometer just rolled past 250,000 and i still love my hunk-o-junk. the next car i buy will definitely be a legend coupe but now i know what i know and made a few mistakes. fell in love with a legend

so your saying Im starting to get BHG?
Old 05-11-09, 05:52 PM   #56 (permalink)

just following up and looking for some help! I went for alittle drive today to see what was going on. The car was acting fine on the highway and as soon as I pulled off onto the offramp, I was sitting in a little but of traffic. I noticed some smoke coming out of my hood, but not much at all. I pulled over and it stopped so I couldnt see where it was coming from. As I kept driving the temp would shoot up and I would not get any heat coming out from the fans. Than it would shoot back down and I would have the hottest heat coming out of my fans Ive ever had. This happened maybe 3 times in 25 minutes of driving.
Old 05-11-09, 06:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
sap

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan AT
Car 2: 93 L Coupe 6MT :(
Car 3: 86 Camaro IROC Z

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sap
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypolak275 View Post
just following up and looking for some help! I went for alittle drive today to see what was going on. The car was acting fine on the highway and as soon as I pulled off onto the offramp, I was sitting in a little but of traffic. I noticed some smoke coming out of my hood, but not much at all. I pulled over and it stopped so I couldnt see where it was coming from. As I kept driving the temp would shoot up and I would not get any heat coming out from the fans. Than it would shoot back down and I would have the hottest heat coming out of my fans Ive ever had. This happened maybe 3 times in 25 minutes of driving.
Definitely sounds like you need to bleed your coolant, though given that you saw smoke in the overflow I'd think chances are probably good it was exhaust and you have a BHG. Get a hydrocarbon test to double check (either a block test kit or have an emissions tester sniff from the rad neck).

Visit the Legend Wiki
sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:01 PM   #58 (permalink)

I realized the smoking is coming from the rdiator. Its low on fuids... getting it checked tomorow for BHG. if it is.... seeee yah! Getting a TL

Last edited by peteypolak275; 05-11-09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 03:21 AM   #59 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 Honda Accord
Car 2: 1991 Acura Integra
Car 3: 1991 Acura Legend

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have been following a lot of the BHG postings and now I think I may have one, but there is something else wrong at the same time tha tis giving me trouble. The blower fan does not work in all five settings. When I turn the fan to auto the coolant fan for the a/c unit turns on, this is occuring with the engine not running. I've taken out the themostat and have tested it, it's working. I've checked the fuses, 7.5 and 20 amp. I'm moving to the next series of tests which consist of testing the terminals on both relays connected to the heater. Our vehicles have a self diagnostic auto temp control system, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I seem to have two things going on. BHG because my symptoms mirror Jet's. The other is the blower motor may be bad or the relays or the temp sensors or relays are affecting the system or the whole thing is caused by the blower motor not working. I read a post somewhere that mentioned the auto temp system being inter connected somehow and that there is a valve that closes somewhere that gives BHG symptoms. That being said I just wanted to finally join in the posts. I have a 91 LS and a 93 LS the 91 I've got the engine and tranny rebuilt after finding BHG and neglect caused by not changing the oil regularly. The 93 is the one with all of the things I've discussed. It's a very clean car so I'm willing to fix it. Pearl White with green interior. Okay nough said I'll await your comments.

Kevin
kedesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 05:56 PM   #60 (permalink)

Car 1: acura legend 94 LS

I found out how to fix the overheating ...Acura Legend

It cost me 3600 dollars. The ceramic beads and the stuff they tell you to pour into to fix the head gasket only work for a while...Don't use them they clog the radiator...

Every symptom mentioned happened to my engine in all the articles and threas on this site I experienced.. Surging in the idle, blown head gasket, changed the water pump, 3 thermostates...Temp gage goes into red. Rev the engine it goes back down...Drive on the highway and come to a light..The temp goes up while idling.

I finally really blew the head gasket driving thru death valley on the way to vegas. Thought it might be a bad temp gauge or sending unit. it wasn't

Here's bottom line. I turned out that the sensor in the radiator caused all the problems. Car had 150,000 miles when I bought it. It now has 175,000.

if you have an Acura change it now...YOUR SENSOR... if your mileage is at 150,000 so you won't have this happen to you...If you already have the problems fix the head gasket and change the sensor too.

If you bought the car used like I did water pumps are good for 75,000 miles.
They found a little leaking at the bottom of mine but that didn't cause the sensor to go bad. If you drive the car hot...You'll warp the heads...Loe compression and the car will over rev trying to go up a hill. Gas mileage will suck too.
Then you have to send the heads out to get ground.
My mechanic does engine rebuilds for a living. Balance and Blueprinting race car engines...Never worked on an Acura before. I paid for his education as he learned on my car with me. 3,000 dollar course in how to troubleshoot a Honda engine.

SO I REPLACED EVERYTHING...It ran fine for about 250 miles...
Then the overheating happened again and again and again,

Then we changed the sensor in the radiator and the problem stopped. A cheap sensor...If this saves you 1,000's of dollars in repairs and replacing perfectly good equipment trying to find out what i just told you. Please send a donation to my paypal [email protected]

I am broke now. It would really be appreciated. I know this works because I replaced everything and the problem was still there with the overheating that it seems all Acura owners are experiencing with their cars after 150,000 miles. My cars a 94...

My loss is your gain.

And if you have a new head gasket being put in or water pump have them replace the timing belt too while the engines apart...One less thing to fix later.

Acura should have told us that this sensor when it goes bad blows engines by overheating them for no reason. Anyone who takes their car to the dealer will find what dealers do best. And you know what that is. Stay cool readers. jimmy
jimmymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)