Overheating 101 - Page 5 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-10, 01:36 AM   #61 (permalink)
sap

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan AT
Car 2: 93 L Coupe 6MT :(
Car 3: 86 Camaro IROC Z

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymeyer View Post
It cost me 3600 dollars. The ceramic beads and the stuff they tell you to pour into to fix the head gasket only work for a while...Don't use them they clog the radiator...
While I'm very happy you found the problem, and sorry to hear how much money it cost you, it shouldn't have been that difficult to track down this sensor since it controls the rad fan.

Visit the Legend Wiki
sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-10, 10:01 PM   #62 (permalink)

Car 1: acura legend 94 LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well...My last car was a 1968 RT Charger with a dyer blower on it. One radiator fan and no sensor. I had no idea there was a sensor that operated the fans until 3000 dollars later. I am not a mechanic.

Everyone thinks it's first a stuck thermostat. Then they think you have a bad radiator, then a bad water pump...Or you have air in your system...By that time the head gasket blows and you have a crack about the width of a toothpick in the gasket. Now you have major engine repairs. Then my mechanic checks the fans and they work fine. I assume the sensor creates a false reading and turns the fans off when they are needed the most. Both my fans were working fine. The clue was when the car was hot they didn't run like they were suppose too when the engine was turned off and they stay on to cool the engine. I had a dead car battery one morning. Now I know why...the fans / fan never turned off. That was the first sign that the sensor was bad. That I figured out today.

So if you have an Acura and a dead healthy battery in the morning you'll know know what you have to look forward to.

First your car overheats, You don't see the gauge go into red. The engine light comes on...you try and drive it anyway and blow the head gasket and the mechanics don't know about the sensor and replace everything that is not causing the problem. Your bill may be up to 5,000 dollars or a new engine. All you really need to do is replace the sensor because it causes everything to happen. If everyone new this why are there over 100 posts on this site all having the same problem and no one knowing what's causing it?

I know for sure because everything was replaced. With the exception of that sensor. Car overheats still. I change the sensor. Car works great and runs cool all the time. Problem solved Here's a couple of get me home without overheating solutions..... Rev the car a few times and watch the temp go down...Fan turns on. ...Drive it a short distance and it over heats. Or Overheats when it idles. I've had it overheat at 70MPH. Rev it a few times and if the temp doesn't go down pull over and let it cool...Never pop the radiator cap to see if you have water with a hot engine. .It's not a bad gauge problem or a sending unit in my case that measures your engine temperature..If the temp needle goes into the red it may cause future problems with those systems I was told. If your engine warning light comes on turn your engine off immediately as you park off the road. That happened only once to me. I drove the car with the needle moving into red almost 100 times before the gasket blew for good. I just kept on revving the car and the temp went back to normal. The last time it stopped doing that and stayed in the red. Then I knew it was over and I had to have the car repaired.

Turn the air conditioning on to make it home and get the car fixed immediately. The air kicks on the extra fan automatically and doesn't use the sensor. If your car changes RPM from high to low you have a blown head gasket. White smoke out of the exhaust...Same problem.

jimmy

Last edited by jimmymeyer; 06-04-10 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
jimmymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 04:59 PM   #63 (permalink)
sap

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan AT
Car 2: 93 L Coupe 6MT :(
Car 3: 86 Camaro IROC Z

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sap
I'm not a mechanic either, and I'm certainly curious why you picked an engine builder with no Acura experience to fix this (especially when the problem kept coming back).

The factory service manual (which is available online) clearly lists the coolant temperature sensor as being one of the inputs used by the fan control module to run the fans. It also has a diagram showing you exactly where it is and shows you how to test it.

I really wouldn't have even responded to your post except that I found it particularly ridiculous to see someone asking for donations because they spent a pile of money getting the wrong mechanic to track down and fix a simple problem that should have been one of the first things checked. Of course I was trying to be far more pleasant in my previous response, I didn't really intend to come in and say, point blank, that you screwed up.

Visit the Legend Wiki
sap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-10, 04:04 AM   #64 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Good info Jimmy

I believe i will change that Sensor soon. This might be good preventative maintenance.
thanks
95 Legend GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)