Purchasing 95 GS sedan - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-05, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Purchasing 95 GS sedan

Hey guys, Im a HUGE Honda enthusiast and have been since I can remember. My current list of cars: 2003 Anthracite/black Acura CL-S 6MT, 2005 Honda Redrock pearl/Ivory Odyssey Touring, 2002 Berlina black/black Honda S2000 (had about a month, only 4500 miles on it) 1995 Honda Isle green/tan Civic Ex sedan (B18c1, JDM Integra R tranny, currently undergoing a rebuild and (JDM Toyota 4AG) individual throttles, w/ Autronic engine manegement, and a host of other bolt ons and internals). Ive/we've owned; 1989 Honda Accord LXi sedan, 91 Civic EX sedan, 93 Civic Ex coupe, 94 Civic Ex coupe, 95 Integra GS-R sedan, 99 CR-V Ex, 00 Civic Ex sedan, and a couple of Lexus vehicles a 96 ES300 and a 2000 GS400 which we sold to get the 05 Odyssey.

My tuner has a MINT 1995 Acura Legend GS sedan 6MT he will be selling in a few months. It has around 126k, 2nd owner ( I know the 1st owner also) and the only blemish is the driver seat has some light wear. He has installed a open air filter, Koni adjustables, slotted front rotors, drilled rears, new axles, and thats about it. I drove the car for the 1st time yesterday, its still smooth, quiet, solid, and pulls with authority. He even dynoed it just to show me that the motor was still healthy. He did 5 pulls and with each pull, more power came from somewhere. He is asking $6200.

My question(s) are; are there any major issues with the GS or 95 Legends that I should be aware of? Can I still get the Dinan chip for the GS? Where in the hell can I find the OEM fog lights?

I would keep the CL but since we have 5 kids (2 sets of twins and a single) and even though she has the Odyssey, the CL with only 2 doors is kinda impracticle. I wanted to buy a TL or TSX but we are spending enough as it is (new van, 02 S2000, rebuild of Civic, and major house renovation) so I didnt want to go into more debt just because I needed something with 4 doors. Please give some feedback.

Patrick
AcuraCLS6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-05, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
is gone with the wind ...

Car 1: '92 Vineyard Grey LS Sedan
Car 2: '05 TSX Gray auto
Car 3: '08 MDX Steel Blue/T

To the rescue ... and just in time!

'95 GS 6-spd??? Sounds like a bad deal to me ... I suggest you let me take it off his hands for you. I'll be happy to drive down and save you from a big mistake!!

Seriously, good advice below. None of these things (BHG, pinion seal, TB/WP) are "GS" specific and happen at various intervals to nearly all G2s. I've got a new radiator (@40K), TB/WP (90K and 185K), and pinion seal (185K). Keeps on tickin'. You'll love it.

"All opinions expressed above were left over after the good ones had been taken..."

Last edited by go92Legend; 06-08-05 at 07:11 PM.
go92Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homers Beer Run Champion

Car 1: 1991 KA8

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I can't give you a straight answer because I don't have a 95 GS, but I haven't heard any particular cases regarding 95 GS' reliability, or maybe I just didn't come across it. I am sure members with a GS will give you a more detail explanation. You are also welcomed to use the "search" function for your questions. So once again, welcome, and what were the dyno numbers??

Thanks
Gride_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-05, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Car 1: 1995 Legend LS Coupe

These cars are very prone to Blown Head Gaskets. This is almost always preceeded by a coolant leak. The leak usually occurs in the top tank of the radiator. There is a steel bracket that is attached to the tank that supports the throttle cables. This bracket stresses the plastic tank and causes it to crack - creating the leak. This failure seems to show up about the 100k mile mark. If the radiator has not been replaced, look carefully at the base of the bracket to see if there are any cracks.

I replaced my radiator at about 100k miles when the leak was just beginning to show. I think its best to replace it as a preventive measure even if its not leaking yet. Also, get rid of the bracket - it will just cause the crack again.
I zip-tied the cables to the upper radiator hose.

Beyond that the timing belt/water pump should have been replaced at 90k. This is about $1000 from the dealer - a bit less from independents.

Another common problem is the differential pinion seal can start to leak. It leaks gear oil onto the exhaust system and creates a stink. Replacing the pinion seal is about $10 in parts and $500 in labor.

If you read this forum, you'll find many other big and little common problems.

Sounds like a good price on a great car! - Good luck!
oldacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the head gasket alert. I know the 1st owner (ownes a Dominos pizza chain) and he is very anal about his cars and all the service records are still in the glove box. I skimmed through them and he didnt miss an oil change. The timing belt/water pump was changed @ 87k. But I didnt see anything about any radiator issues, again i just skimmed through them. But the next time I go over there Ill be sure to look at the radiator. There were a couple of other small things but nothing major.

As far as dyno numbers went, it started out in the low 170's and went a little over 180WHP. Pretty impressive for an old car. Yeah Im going to get the car in about 2 months ( he is looking for a used 94-97 NSX to prmote his shop) so in the mean time Im looking for a few parts. I want the OEM fogs lights, does anyone know where I can find a set?

Patrick
Old 06-08-05, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
if he's a mechanic and your friend... that seems like a great deal. Compresssion test might be helpful to have
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah he is a good friend of mine, Ive known him for about 10 or so years. He knows his stuff, he built a 630WHP 94 Prelude VTEC (his car), a number of Supras and EVO's, mostly turbo cars. So I dont think he would do me wrong.

He is helping me build my Civic and maybe do some VERY MINOR mods (according to the wife) to the S, she wanted a toy. But the Legend would look very nice in the garage. I wish Honda would make that same body/interior over again with the RL's motor. The body of the Legend is timeless, like a 5 series. Id put the Legend GS in the top 5 best looking sedans. Ill try to post some pics when I get it.
Old 06-08-05, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
GS Hog
Golden Arrow Champion

Car 1: 1994 Legend GS-Auto
Car 2: 1994 Legend GS-6 spd
Car 3: 1993 NSX-6 spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I have 2 GSs, both '94s, one a 6-speed. The head gasket issue is not a "will happen", but a "could happen".

If all's good, $6200 is a GREAT deal. The '95 GS 6-speed is very rare (moreso than the '94 GS 6-speed).

The DINAN chip is now called the Bayou chip. Do a search. I believe that the website is no longer up, but someone was able to contact the seller recently.

Fog lights are close to impossible to find. One option you have is to go with Hella Micro DE fog lights that look similar. Again, a search should give you the info you need.

Your other option is to piece a OEM setup together by buying the harnesses and relays and using Civic fog lights. Yet again, a search should yield you answers.

Good luck!
LegendGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut
Myself and and another 6 Speed GS owner did some research in '02 and the word we got from Acura sources say less than 600 94/95 GS 6 Speeds rolled off the production line. You do the math and tell me if what you've seen is worth their asking price. If not I've got a hot $6200 burnin' in my pocket waiting for you to pass. And getting a address to send the cashier's check would be my next step.

One...

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
has left the building

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut
Myself and and another 6 Speed GS owner did some research in '02 and the word we got from Acura sources say less than 600 94/95 GS 6 Speeds rolled off the production line. You do the math and tell me if what you've seen is worth their asking price. If not I've got a hot $6200 burnin' in my pocket waiting for you to pass. And getting a address to send the cashier's check would be my next step.

One...

Fut
ODB, I thought you didn't have any chedda?
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 white 2door coupe(stolen), 93 Red 6spd coupe

simple answer.. buy it
Danightmare7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Even if the GS wasn't a 6spd., it still sounds like a good deal. Whats the color combo of the car?

I have a set of near mint original foglights on my GS (see sig below) that I'm thinking of selling pretty soon. I originally paid over $350 including fog switch about two years ago. If your interested, pm me with an offer.

Jose
aZtEcLeGeNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

Gs Sedans Are Off Ther Hook.. Get It!
The_Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray
For a GS 6 Speed in good shape? It ain't hard to find!!!

One..

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
OJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray
come on now, dont forget about all those payments he recieved for the "mls bars"... lol jk
OJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)