Q: How can I tighten my moonroof? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-05, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 02 Audi S4
Car 2: 97 Honda Accord SE

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Q: How can I tighten my moonroof?

Hi,
I just bought a 94 Legend L Sedan w/ 116K miles and the car's pretty cherry.

One of the things I noticed though was that there was a slight whistle coming from the moonroof. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the moonroof is sitting a hair too low and when you hit a bump, it will rattle slightly. The noise took a while to figure out but after I figured out that the noise would go away when you pressed up on the glass (thereby sealing the roof), I figure all I have to do is somehow tighten the moonroof.

Q: How can I tighten the moonroof? Can someone please point me to the proper screw as displayed in the Moonroof Tilt DIY thread?
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...=moonroof+tilt

I had a similar issue with my Audi that was bad enough to let water seep into the car and caused the C-pillar to get wet. I ended up fixing the audi by using the manual crank and ever so slightly tightening up the seal. When i tried adjusting the Legend's moonroof manually, it appears that I cannot "close" the roof any farther. After looking at the Moonroof DIY thread, I think I'm running right against the slide stop.

Q: Do I just need to move this forward ever so slightly to fix my problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
-g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-05, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports
3 Wheel Slot Machine Champion

Car 1: Blackend Motorsports
Car 2: 1995 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blackend Send a message via Yahoo to Blackend
I don't know how to tighten the moonroof, but I would first check to make sure the shims are in place. There should be shims under the frame rail that are shaped like a "W" and they sit between the mounting holes at the front of the rails. You can use the tilt-mod DIY as a guide to find the shims. If they're missing, I might have some on a parts car I just picked up.
Old 11-23-05, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
mine does this also

i have the shims, but would adding a one more on the backside(making it 2 shims thick help?
blah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-05, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
mine does this also

i have the shims, but would adding a one more on the backside(making it 2 shims thick help?
Might - seems to me that would lift the frame rail up more and force the moonroof to seal more tightly, so long as pushing up on the glass gets rid of the wind noise you're hearing.
Old 11-23-05, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i installed another shim on each side of the rear of the sunroof and seals up nicely now, thanks
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackend
I don't know how to tighten the moonroof, but I would first check to make sure the shims are in place. There should be shims under the frame rail that are shaped like a "W" and they sit between the mounting holes at the front of the rails. You can use the tilt-mod DIY as a guide to find the shims. If they're missing, I might have some on a parts car I just picked up.
I didn't understand what you were talking about until I got the chance to start taking apart my moonroof.

I see now that you are referring to ITEM 41 on this page:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3721273C

Thanks for the offer though but I don't think adding another pair of shims will solve my particular problem. As it turns out, it looks like the "scissor" bracket aka the "moon roof glass brackets" are wobbling. Since they appear to be able to move from "side to side" quite easily, I imagine that they can also rock up and down easily as well.

The only problem is that access to the screws holding the moonroof glass bracket to the rails appear to be blocked by the rails themselves. Sigh.

The moonroof tilt DIY appears to ask you to "open" the moonroof so the automatic mechanism retracts the brackets backwards (step 6).

I'm gonna have to do more research on this matter to figure out how I'm gonna tighten the moving brackets. Any thoughts?

-g

PS. Thanks for the offer for the shims though. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-24-05 at 08:16 PM.
S4gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports

No problem. Does it look like you would have better access if the moonroof glass was removed? I know when I did the tilt-mod, it seemed like I could get at just about everything in the entire assembly when the glass was out and the roof was in the open position.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-26-05, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackend
No problem. Does it look like you would have better access if the moonroof glass was removed? I know when I did the tilt-mod, it seemed like I could get at just about everything in the entire assembly when the glass was out and the roof was in the open position.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Definitely. Even with no metric tools (an adjustable wrench + pliers), i was able to pull the glass out and figure out what parts were rattling. The shims idea would have worked if the glass was rattling against the "scissor brackets" but it looks like the scissor brackets themselves are the culprit. I don't want to dig in any further without proper tools (which are at home in San Jose and and not at my GF's place in SF).

Ahh, this projects gonna have to wait a few more days.
-g
Old 11-27-05, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I stand corrected. After going home and pulling out my tools, I decided to tear into my moonroof this morning while my GF studied for the GRE.

Grant's suggestion of adding shims (as mentioned in the service manual too, BTW) is a good one. Even with sloppy the scissor brackets, the upward force of the shims makes the seal tight enough to firm up the brackets.

Since I originally thought my sloppy "scissor brackets" aka "moonroof mount brackets" were loose, I set about pulling off as much as I could in order to tighten them. I wasn't able to get directly at the bottom scissor screw with a screwdriver I was able to use some tape wrapped pliers to turn the screw a fair amount from the side. The problem is that over time, that screw wallows out the plastic such that all the effort in the world wasn't going to make it much tighter.

My tightening did work for the driver's back mount but the passenger's side back sunroof mount was still loose. BTW, I found a good method to test the "tightness" of the seal was just to close the door (firm but not slamming) and see if the sunroof moved.

My solution? I cut up a DVD case with some shears and made some plastic shims. Two plastic shims + the original metal shim on the passenger's side and the seal was nice and tight.

Blackend: Since I don't know how long my driver's side will stay tight, I'd like to take you up on your offer of shims if it's still on the table.

Thanks again for all your help, guys.
-g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)