Q: Looking for advice on small coolant leak - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-06, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 02 Audi S4
Car 2: 97 Honda Accord SE

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Q: Looking for advice on small coolant leak

Hi,
For the last two months now, I've been experiencing a coolant leak which requires me to add 3 cups of coolant every month (every ~2200 miles).

I'm planning on taking it into a shop to have them look at it next week but seeing as all of you are Legend owners, I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence on where YOU'VE experienced leaks before.

Also, have I missed anything on my list?

Here's my situation:
  • 94 Acura Legend with 140K miles
  • Losing approx 3 cups of coolant per month (2100 miles) - 1 into the radiator and 2 to fillup the coolant reservoir
  • Started 2-3 months ago.
  • I smell coolant underneath the hood when I park the car
  • Coolant is getting sucked out of the reservoir and NOT getting pushed into the reservoir. I know when I had a leaky radiator cap the exact opposite was happening (the reservoir would overflow).
  • Idle only starts drooping when the coolant level drops pretty low and air enters the cooling system (>2 cups low in radiator itself). This is how I first noticed the coolant leak. I now top off the coolant before the coolant level gets low enough to start the idle drooping.
  • Temp Gauge NEVER goes above way mark
  • No loss of power & no smoke from exhaust
  • No dripping detected when car is parked
  • No coolant smell inside car (with/without) with heater on
  • No cracks visible on radiator and no tears on radiator cap.
  • Radiator replaced: 6/2/05
  • Radiator cap replaced: 12/4/05

Looking over the manual, here are the possible leak locations
  • Thermosensor (on radiator)
  • Water Bypass In Pipe (below throttle body and before thermostat)
  • heater hoses
  • plastic heater valve
  • Thermostat
  • Radiator Drain plug - not likely since I'm not seeing any drips on the ground
  • Throttle body bypass hose - doesn't look like it has a leak
  • Upper & lower radiator hoses - replaced ~2 years ago and look clean
  • Heater core (not likely since no smell in cabin)
  • Water Pump (by design leaking from the weep valve indicates the WP is no longer sealing and must be replaced ASAP)
My theory is that there is some hose which is dripping the coolant into something hot (like the engine) -- hence the smell.

While I have the car in the shop screwing with the cooling system, I might as well have them replace the thermostat for $30 + $45 labor. Sound like a fair price?

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-07-06 at 01:14 PM.
S4gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-06, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No drips on the floor? With a new radiator sometimes a hose or two will leak. Sometimes if it's an upper hose though the fluid can evaporate before it hits the ground.
charlesgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Sherwood Green GS (totaled), 1994 LS Coupe

Might want to check this:
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=49801

DIY here: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=52656

Old 10-26-06, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Donut: Thanks for the link. I'll definitely have to check out the water bypass pipe but I'm definitely worried that I'll have to take off the intake manifold to get at it. This is definitely a weekend project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblkcpe
Also tranny lines arn't coolant they are ATF.

On page 10-3 of the Helms manual there is a pipe listed as an "ATF cooler pipe."
I assume it runs transfers some of the heat from the ATF to the coolant.
-g
Old 10-26-06, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblkcpe
I think the ATF gets circulated through a radiator type cooler inside the radiator, but pretty sure coolants not used for cooling the tranny.

I think the heater hoses and valve are pretty much behind the intake manifold, and yes, you will need to get that out of the way.

If you have a type I, I'd start looking for type II intake to put on after removing the old manifold, why the hell not, make all that work worthwhile!
This whole ATF cooler business is pretty interesting. If you look at 10-4 in the Helms manual, you will notice that the ATF cooler hoses (which go into and out of the bottom of the radiator). Unless there is some special portion of the radiator that recirculates ATF versus coolant, I do believe the ATF cooler pipe is used as a heat exchanger between the ATF that is recirculated internally to the tranny and the coolant. Think of it as an intercooler. The ATF stays inside the tranny yet the heat is transferred out.

I'd consider the Type 2 swap but I wouldn't pay any extra money for it. This is my commuter car.

The current rate of coolent loss is manageable. If the loss is from the water bypass in pipe as people suggest, I might as well just follow it closely since it doesn't look like it would get worse (versus a hose that cracks and starts dumping). I can then just hold out until I have to do some major work to be done (timing belt + water pump) and pay to have it done all at once. At >2K miles/month, 160K will arrive in less than a year and 180K mi in less than 2.

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 10-26-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe

The heat exchanger in the radiator does help to keep the transmission from overheating but the funny thing is that it would actually run cooler if you just loop the ATF line back to the tranny instead of going through the radiator; it actually helps more during the winter to have it in the radiator as it will keep the transmission nice and warm, but here in Texas where it doesn't get real cold alot of people do loop the transmission since it actually protects it and helps it to run a little cooler than the engine does.
Mikey851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
LPB

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Another possible coolant seepage/leakage source could be the coolant passage pipe which runs under the intake between the thermostat base and ends as one of the heater hoses. A pin hole in the passage pipe could leak coolant onto the top of the block. A bad O-ring on the thermostat base could also seep. The one great factor about Honda coolant is that when it dries it is a very light green color and is easily visible. You need to look around.
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had a similar experience after I removed hoses to do the tb/wp. In my case almost every hose that was secured with a spring type clamp would leak while under 15 lbs of pressure. I pressurized system and then gently wiggled the hose ends. The weak ends sprayed coolant all over. (did this while the engine was cool) I replaced most all of the small diameter coolant hoses, as well as all of the old spring clamps, and that took care of 99.5% of it.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 91L 5spd blue cpe
Car 2: 92LS 5spd gray cpe
Car 3: 93LS 6spdgraycpe 3.5

My first reaction was: I wonder why the radiator was replaced in June '05?
I am losing coolant after a HG replacement; it is a small amount that my
other car never seems to lose no matter how much time goes by. I cannot
determine where it goes except that my exhaust smells sweet sometimes.
That's not good.
Boru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boru View Post
My first reaction was: I wonder why the radiator was replaced in June '05?
I am losing coolant after a HG replacement; it is a small amount that my
other car never seems to lose no matter how much time goes by. I cannot
determine where it goes except that my exhaust smells sweet sometimes.
That's not good.
The radiator was replaced in 05 because some teenage punk backed daddy's Escalade into the front of the legend. In addition to hurting the radiator, they bent the radiator support and cracked a headlight.

After everything was replaced for the woman I bought the car from she drove it for a few more months and then decided she wanted a MB CLK instead. I was able to buy the 94 with 116K miles for a paltry $3K.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I'll see what the mechanic finds. I'm hoping it's a loose clamp
-g
Old 11-01-06, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Verdict from my Mechanic: the waterpump is the culprit and it looks original. This means of course that the last owner didn't pay/get the waterpump replaced when she paid for the first timing belt.

My mechanic quoted me $750 to replace the timing belt, t-belt tensioner, waterpump and seals. Since I already agreed to pay him $150 to find the slow leak that was bugging me, I owe the mechanic at least $150 anyway and I'm NOT going to find someone to do this work for substantially less than $600 without sacrificing genuine Honda parts ($750 - $150). At least I got him to replace the thermostat for $750 while he's working on it.

On the bright side, it looks like I can drive for the life of the car without having to pay for another t-belt & wp job. Even at 25K/mi year, it will be >3.5 years before I hit 230K and I would probably sell it by then.

-g
Old 11-02-06, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS92Sedan View Post
what he quoted you actually isnt that bad of a rate, some people on this board have paid up to 1200 for the same repairs. At least you got it figured out and know how to fix it, that should help ease the mind.
I agree. Even if I'm paying $750 compared to a dealer price of $1200 with the Legend, part of me was comparing this to my recent TB/WP/accessory-belt change on my S4. That cost me $850 at a reputable shop since I bought my own parts compared to $1200 that they wanted to charge me for the work if THEY bought the parts and $1500 at the dealership.

I'm just glad that I'm fortunate enough that this bill isn't gonna force me to subsist on ramen for the next two months.

Stay in school kids. Sure, it sucks when your friends are tapping a keg on a Tuesday night while you've got some fucking electrical engineering midterms to study for but hey, since college, I'm never gonna starve.
-g

-g
Old 11-02-06, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, I just picked up the Acura and learned a few things I thought merited sharing:

* that the leak was from the "weep hole" or "seep hole" on the waterpump. Apparently, the waterpump is engineered to begin dripping once it can no longer maintain a good seal. The leak wasn't easy to see until they pressure tested the system

* The last owner DID get the waterpump replaced but it was some offbrand "GBE" waterpump vs a genuine Honda part. If anyone is considering this replacement, you really should buy a geniune Honda part - the GBE piece of shit started leaking after <50K mi.

* They didn't bother replacing the Crank Angle Sensor. In my mechanic's experience with Legends, the melting seal is unsightly but really doesn't affect the performance of this part. It should last me for the usable life of this car.

* For my $750 bucks I received a 1 yr warranty with no mileage limit on the work done. Considering I drive 100mi/day though, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to notice any leaks pretty darn quick.

Just driving back to the office after pickup up my car (<10mi), I've noticed that the coolant smell appears to be gone underneath the hood. Whew.

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-08-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Road Trip King

Car 1: 1994 LS coupe 6-spd
Car 2: 1994 GS sedan 6-spd

iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyson Send a message via MSN to Tyson
Impressive homework and nice job on posting the follow-up. As a side note, it sounds like you encountered a similar diagnosis to what I had back in September. In my case, it was technician error improperly installing an O-ring during a TB/WP replacement. Here's my post about it in case anyone is still investigating related symptoms.

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...42&postcount=5
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)