Suspension pro's, Which style camber Kit? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-08, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Suspension pro's, Which style camber Kit?

My 94LS has always worn the inner portion of the front tires prematurely. This car is completly stock and NOT lowered. The last time I had it aligned they said the camber needed a slight adjustment and would need a kit or I could just rotate the tires more often and it might help. Well rotating the tires more frequently didn't help.
I have decided to go ahead with the SPC kit but I'm not sure which style kit to purchase.

#1 camber kit that attaches to the upper control arm.
eBay Motors: SPC Front Camber Kit * Accord Civic Prelude Legend CRX (item 320284572587 end time Nov-06-08 10:44:06 PST)

#2 camber kit that replaces the upper ball joint.
eBay Motors: SPC Acura: 1991-96 Legend front camber kit both sides (item 320261688661 end time Nov-06-08 12:05:00 PST)

Which one should I use?
Advertisement

Old 10-24-08, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ken
Heli Attack 2 Champion

Car 1: 94 6-speed - RIP

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ken
are you sure its not the toe? if you're on stock suspension and getting camber, then that means something is bent. fix the problem, dont cover it up with a camber kit.
Old 10-24-08, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

At the last two alignments they have told me I needed a camber kit. I've inspected it pretty close. I dont see antything bent and nothing seems worn out.

Old 10-24-08, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
My interpretation was the same as Ken's. I've given up: my car will not hold toe to save it's freaking life so I just replace tires often. I mean no offense with this question but could you really tell if a control arm was bent without comparing it to a brand new one when not on the car?

It looks like folks are using the ball joint kit:
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...59/#post881831

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
what!

Car 1: 95 LS Coupe 6 spd
Car 2: 02 TT225 Quattro 6sp
Car 3: 94 L Cpe 6spd - sold

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to kotetu Send a message via AIM to kotetu Send a message via MSN to kotetu Send a message via Yahoo to kotetu
I just called West End Alignment (NSX shop) - he told me the anchor bolts change the suspension geometry and he does not recommend them. He prefers the balljoints. This is the guy who did Keith's Legend.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 legend gs

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i have 2 new ball joint for a G2 legend. I bought those because i thought that i need to change them on my 94 GS but didn't ..let me know if you are interested
Old 10-31-08, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 2002 3.5 rl and 92 legend
Car 2: 2005 lexus Ls430
Car 3: 2007 Cobalt SS

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I have the ball joint kit and it works well. If you are not going to lower it you shouldn't have any problems at all.
daddykay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
I took my car to westend as well, after the previous shop seized/busted one of my SPC ball joints... it was discovered by West End. Not sure why you're wearing out tires w/stock though... I'm on Koni/Eibach

FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Acura Legend sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to FromaQ
Thumbs up

hi Jetdoc. If you've not lowered your car, what are you thinking is drawing in the tops of your front tires? Dr. Dave I bet could tell us! What I had eat up my front tires fast was the toe being off. After getting my toe straight I drove a lot more miles with the camber still at like 1.5 deg camber and it didn't eat up my tires fast like the toe being off. I'm using the spc kit but I did drop my car. They are ez to put on and use.

FromaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 LS Coupe'
Car 2: 91 NSX
Car 3: various cars & bikes

JetDoc:

This is in response to your e-mail and your post here. Let's look at this situation from a design point. The Legend left the factory with the camber in spec without a provision for adjustment. It can get out of spec from damage and wear. The wear would likely be from spring wear. The A&P, IA that did the alignment probably found it out of spec in camber and decided to "fix" it with an adjustable ball-joint. I am opposed to that line of thinking. I am sure Acura's DER (designated engineering representative) would feel the same way.

I want to know why it is out of spec. If there is no damage and it is only slightly off from the spec of 0 degrees 00 minutes +/-1 degree. You also mentioned it was worse on the left. That makes sense since their is always someone in the pilots seat when the car is being driven. I would look to sagged front springs. The manual calls out a ride height of 5.9". Unfortunately they don't give the measuring point. The manual also calls out for inspection of the spring for weakened compression. Again, no spec listed in the manual. Acuraoemparts.com lists new front springs at $94.44 each.

Since the car has 231k miles on it I would think there could certainly be some worn parts in the suspension. I can't help but think the car would drive poorly with the camber off far enough to scrub the tires on the inside. I think it would be beneficial to compare ride height with another Legend.
Removal of the damper assembly looks to be fairly easy. Once you get the front dampers out I would look closely at the ball joints and tie-rod ends. There is no reason you should compensate for worn parts by changing suspension geometry to make up for it.

Dave
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
FIXER

Thanks for all the replies guy's. I will take your advice and inspect the suspension more in depth. I too would much rather fix the problem than put a bandaid on it. If I can't find anything I will look for a good alignment shop to take a look.
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)