Suspension Squeaks / Clicks - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-03, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Black 6-Speed Coupe
Car 2: 00 Porsche Boxster S

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Suspension Squeaks / Clicks

I have a few noises coming from my suspension (I think) and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if you had any ideas. I'm going to bring it to a shop to get a suspension check on Friday, however I am open to any comments / ideas / suggestions you may have.

First off, when I'm braking hard and turning I get a clicking noise. This does not happen when I just turn the car and I'm driving. I went to a parking lot and starting doing circles, and no noises are apparent when turning in either direction. Once I apply the brakes and the car is almost stopped, I hear click,click,click from somewhere under the car (brakes, suspension?). However, I don't think it is the brakes, because if I drive in a straight line and come to a complete stop I hear NO clicking noises at all. I don't think it is the CV joints because they would click under turning conditions, regardless if I applied the brakes or not. So, that is my first mystery noise.

Secondly, when going over speedbumps, the front suspension seems to creak. I've checked all the nuts holding the shock/spring assembly together and that's fine. Currently I am riding on my stock suspension. I did have my car lowered with GC's and Koni's. Could the change in geometry back to the stock setup have caused something like this? Could this be my old struts going bad? Note: I am not having any problems from the rear suspension. Going over speedbumps I don't get any noises and haven't heard anything from back there. All of this is happening in the front.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks all ..

- Dave
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-03, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LS Coupe, 6 Speed

Your second problem has been common to a few board members including myself and my dads 92 sedan. It sounds like a creaking staircase kinda. It happens to me going over any surface at any speed. Not really sure what it is....
Mckenzie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 00 RL
Car 2: 06 TL

Re: Suspension Squeaks / Clicks

Quote:
Originally posted by dmenn
First off, when I'm braking hard and turning I get a clicking noise. This does not happen when I just turn the car and I'm driving. I went to a parking lot and starting doing circles, and no noises are apparent when turning in either direction. Once I apply the brakes and the car is almost stopped, I hear click,click,click from somewhere under the car (brakes, suspension?). However, I don't think it is the brakes, because if I drive in a straight line and come to a complete stop I hear NO clicking noises at all. I don't think it is the CV joints because they would click under turning conditions, regardless if I applied the brakes or not. So, that is my first mystery noise.
- Dave
could it be the brake pads?
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-03, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Black 6-Speed Coupe
Car 2: 00 Porsche Boxster S

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Re: Re: Suspension Squeaks / Clicks

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma

could it be the brake pads?
This weekend I will inspect the brake pads, calipers, caliper pistons, etc, to see if it could possibly be something with the brakes. I just don't know why it doesn't make that clicking noise when I'm coming to a stop in a straight line, only on turns.
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 04:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

remedies?

has anyone discovered a remedy to this problem?
aquapura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 L sedan; past 1992 L sedan

the first noise he described sounds like a CV joint failing.
the second noise is likely to be the sway bar bushings up front. There are two that hold the swaybar to the frame rails (not the links). The bushing get silicone grease at the factory and eventually dry up. I thought it was a shock or a-arm bushing going bad when it happened to me but the dealer and I found the noise was not either of those. He suggested regreasing the sway bar bushings with silicone grease (home depot in plumbing supply etc). Cured the problem. Do a search - you'll find the problem discussed elsewhere in the forum.

Steve
Merlin the Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
LPB

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The only plumbing grease I was able to locate at Home Depot was a waterproof grease (in a sm container) by Danco. Returning home and checking supplies, I found a tube of NAPA Sil-Glyde (Silicone based) which although bought for brakes, can be used on trunk seals and weatherstripping. I am going to try this.
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Second problem sounds like it might be a bad ball joint. Does your car creek when you turn the steering wheel side to side as well as when say hitting a speed bump or rocking the car up and down by hand?

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...g+wheel+squeek I found this link maybe it'll help with the 2nd problem.
HiTek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 05:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
LPB

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
UPDATE: Greased the sway bar bushings and thought I had it. Drove about 10 miles on broken pavement (a road so bad I would not drive a Yugo on it) and the noise, although less, is back. Back to the drawing board. Mine is only on RT front.
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same creaking noise but mine is the passenger side rear (as far as i can tell). VERY annoying. Used the silicone spray everywhere that I could reach to no avail...

Regarding the clicking, sounds like the CV when mine went out on my Integra GSR, but you have already omitted that... Could the wheel bearing click when it is stressed laterally (i.e. when you turn)?
R.dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)