Thermostate problem? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-05, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thermostate problem?

I bought my legend in April and everything has been great but there is something that keeps popping up. It has only happened a hand full of times but it is worrying me and I can't seem to find a answer. While driving my temp gauge would slowly start to rise and rise. It doesnt keep moving up quickly just really really slow. When it finally reaches the red line it will stay there for about 20 seconds then go back down to the normal range and stay there. So far since April it has happened about 4 times. Any help would be apprecaited.
Dannee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-05, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is starting to show signs of a BAD HEAD GASKET! Do a search on the board here. You will see that this is a common problem with the Legends. They are very pricey to fix, as I'm going me head gaskets right now. I had the same problem as your describing. Be ready to dish out some dough, as this isn't cheap to fix if you have to take it somewhere. I doubt its really your thermostat!

Jay
acurarsxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

It most likely is a headgasket. Try bleeding the system and look for leaks. If no leaks then look for obvious BHG symptoms.....tailpipe smoking, milky oil, check upper and lower radiator hose when car is overheating. If top is hot and bottem is cold....you have yourself a BHG. I recently just bought my legend too. And me being a dumbass and the seller being a jackass sold me the acura legend and im pretty sure he knew the car had a BHG. I have replaced:
-headgasket
-radiator
-thermostat
-waterpump
-fuel injectors
-spark plugs
-----------------NOW the car runs like a champ!!
daoshao is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-05, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Did you get a really good deal on it? I bet you did.
Old 06-08-05, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Eliot

Car 2: 1994 Wide 6 Speed
Car 3: 1989 240SX 5 Speed

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blood Riot
Dont forget that your Heater Control Valve might be broken or something.
Blood Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

Bad Head Gasket. The reason the gauge ends up going back down is due to the air finally escaping from the coolant system somewhere in your engine bay. Check for traces of coolant under the hood. The pressure builds,builds,builds then escapes,then does it all over again. Pretty soon you will have no heat.
The_Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

I paid 2500 for it...it ran great for a couple of days and then overheating, hard to start the car, light tail pipe smoking...etc etc etc....i'm not sure if that was a good deal but i could've bought a white 91 legend that had a bad abs sensor....and maybe i wouldn't of forked out another 500 bucks, bloody knuckles, 3 cases of beer, and drunken curses at the car. But as of right now the car is running fine. Dannee15 you have yourself a classic case of a blown headgasket. A auto repairshop charges about 1500 to 2500 to get the headgasket replaced. Or you can you it yourself for 500 bucks. It'll be quite a learning experiance. Good Luck
daoshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)