Thinking about TB just for PM but would be nice to find DIY procedure here - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-07, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about TB just for PM but would be nice to find DIY procedure here

search for a good detailed DIY procedure for TB change comes up empty.. Anyone know if there is a good one to be had round here?

Do I have to pull the entire radiator or just the hoses?
FiveSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-07, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just the hoses. Once you remove the front motor mount, you will have enough clearance to slide the crank pulley off. You might have to put some weight on front of car whle engine is blocked to clear a bracket flange. This is actually a pretty easy job if you have the tool to hold the crank from turning.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Is there an easy or safe way to hold the camshaft pulley in place? or do you just mark it with a sharpie or something?

Old 02-07-07, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

You need to keep the crank from turning so that you can unscrew the bolt that holds the pulley on. Torqued to 170 ft lbs, I believe. There is a hex shaped "key" that fits inside the pulley, and you brace this with a 1/2" socket against the front mount. Then you take your breaker bar with a 5' floor jack handle over it and unscrew that bolt. Then you can pull the pulley off, its keyed, don't worry about marking it, and then remove the lower timing belt cover that will be partially glued on with the melted insulation from the crank sensor. Remove belt, change water pump, and reinstall everything. Earlier steps will include removing all 3 drive belts and one of the tensioners. Also, remove throttle body and set aside for better access. Read the manual to reinstall timing belt correctly-their procedure to install and tension works well.
Old 02-08-07, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks, I guess the crank sensor meltdown is why I had a blob of sticky black tar on the garage floor a while back.
Old 02-08-07, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

The crank pulley bolt can broke loose by using a 1/2 in breaker bar and socket then wedging it aginst the floor or car frame. Then have someone bump the starter while you hold the breaker bar and socket securley on the bolt. I would remove the ignition source by removing the coil packs first.
It's really easy and works quite well. I've done it twice now.
Old 02-08-07, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

How do you hold the crank to re-torque? Chain wrench around pulley?
Old 02-11-07, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I 'm in the process of changing the W/P-T/B...I'm gonna attempt the DIY with pics and all...flying off the seat of my ass...Now in order to take the belt covers off, it looks like the crank pully needs to come off...correct? Is it possible to do it with an impact wrench?
Thanks,
Ron
Ghostly Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly Legend View Post
Is it possible to do it with an impact wrench?
Thanks,
Ron
Not usually
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)