Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 10 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-04, 07:38 AM   #136 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Legend L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
OK I know this was discussed before but I have to replace a leaking radiator, the info was sent directly to the poster, so I am asking for it again.....Can anybody please tell me or would someone with a helms be willing to scan and post the section in the Helms book for changing the Radiator?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-04, 09:14 AM   #137 (permalink)

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...light=radiator
Old 02-24-04, 03:05 AM   #138 (permalink)

Well, I just came back from the dealer and here are the facts:

1. No external leaking
2. No coolant in the oil.
3. Fluid was a little bit low and there was a little air in the system...fluid topped off and system bled.
4. Thermostat is okay...$170 to replace
5. Most likely not a headgasket...$2300 to do tho

on the way to school after i paid my $114.90 for oil and the diagnostic:

1. Temperature went above average when turning on the highway and leveled off immediately
2. Upon pulling into the parking lot, temp spiked and i parked. Popped hood and the remote resoviour (i kno i speelled that wrong) was OVERFLOWING and there was coolant all around the container.

HMMMMMMMMMMM the coffee in the waiting room was good though

Old 02-24-04, 03:23 AM   #139 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
As I said, my car also passed all of the tests, but it still had a bad head gasket. A couple things to think about:

- If air continues to enter your cooling system, it has to be coming from somewhere, as it doesn't just appear from nowhere. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the HG, but there aren't too many other ways for air to get in there.

- You say the temp went up just before getting on the freeway and then leveled off? Then when you slowed back down it got hot again? If this is correct, you should probably check to make sure the cooling fans are working.

- Don't get your HG repaired without getting another quote - $2300 is a ridiculous amount for this job, at least around my area. I was quoted $1000 by my local Acura dealer.
Old 02-24-04, 04:16 AM   #140 (permalink)

**SIGH**

Why is it that they say the thermostat is a $170 job when the part really 13.71 at the local napa? it can't be that much labor!
Old 02-24-04, 04:38 AM   #141 (permalink)

You need to find a good import repair shop. Dealers will rape you for anything they can, and many times they aren't any more knowledgable than the independant shops.
Old 02-24-04, 04:42 AM   #142 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaTheLegend

1. No external leaking
3. Fluid was a little bit low and there was a little air in the system...fluid topped off and system bled.

1. Temperature went above average when turning on the highway and leveled off immediately
2. Upon pulling into the parking lot, temp spiked and i parked. Popped hood and the remote resoviour (i kno i speelled that wrong) was OVERFLOWING and there was coolant all around the container.

Keep in mind several people were told by more than 1 mechanic that they did not have a BHG... and thats what the problem ended up benig.

If you are getting air in the system w/ no external leaks... it is going to be the head gasket.

Old 02-24-04, 05:05 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaTheLegend

1. No external leaking

Sounds just like my wife's car...... we will doing the HG next week
Old 02-24-04, 05:10 AM   #144 (permalink)

Another thing is how people interpret the term "blown head gasket". On older cars this usually means a dead miss, oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, white smoke out the exhaust, etc... But what happens most often in these cars and Honda's in general could more appropriately be termed a seeping head gasket. I drove mine for over a year with this condition, got no noticeable oil in the coolant or visa versa, and no smoke. But it did use coolant and I did get air in the cooling system. The car ran great the whole time as long as it wasn't heating up.
I have heard people talk of the possibility that the water pump could be sucking in air. Before I did my HG's I dismissed this notion because I couldn't see how it could happen. Let me tell you that by Honda standards, this is a screwy engine. I've been doing major work on engines for over 25 years and this was one of the most difficult to work on. There are also a bunch of external coolant passages that on other engines are either non-existant or internal. While the coolant system in general has a positive pressure and thus could not suck in air, it is possible that there could be a portion of the system that is in negative pressure and would potentially suck air. Add to this the complexity of the cooling system and who knows. But in my case there was the fact that air only entered the cooling system under hard acceleration. If air was getting sucked in from outside it might be RPM dependant, but it wouldn't be load dependant.
Old 02-24-04, 09:00 AM   #145 (permalink)

Temperature went above average when turning on the highway and leveled off immediately

Mine did the same but it was my water pump. The pump was old and weak and did not pump fast enough. Changed it and I'm all good. So try that out as well cuz chances are if you hadn't replaced it by now, it needs it done anyway.
Old 02-24-04, 12:29 PM   #146 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AngelaTheLegend
[B]Dude, i feel your pain. ! What kind of test did you have to check the BHG?

i had my mechanic do a hydrocarbon test, to see if exaust fumes were in the coolent due to a blown head gasket and it passed. it is still overheating when i am driving slow or idling. i had my t-stat changed and new rad cap again! and my t-stat went bad, so that probabbly fixed alotta the problem(hoping its not a BHG) and yes my water pump is brand new only got like not even 5k on it! weird thing, when i turn my car off my upper rad hose and lower rad hose are very stiff, after my car has been runing for a while. but both the hoses are brand new, but they are napa brand. would that have anything to do with it being so stiff? it gets so stiff i cant even squeeze the hose!and when i turn my engine off alot more air comes out of the bleeder screw then when the engine is on. its strange.
peace
drew
Old 02-24-04, 02:40 PM   #147 (permalink)

i bypassed my heater control valve because i was replacing a hose that attatched to it, i tightened it to tight and the nozzle the hose goes on crushed, some cheap composite . what will this do to my car, anything harmful ? and when people speak of bleeding air, what are you talking about, and how do i do it
Old 02-25-04, 11:54 AM   #148 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

Car 1: ka8
Car 2: chevro-legs

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
When I idle, the temp of my 94' coupe rises. Putting her in gear and driving lowers the temp. Does this sound like a faulty thermostat w/ possible air in the system?

Thanks,
k.
Old 02-25-04, 12:16 PM   #149 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

After inspection of the hoses and coolant level, everything checks out.
I haven't actually looked in the radiator. No coolant is leaking on the ground.

k.h.
Old 02-25-04, 01:16 PM   #150 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

I just bled the system and nothing but coolant came out both when the engine wal cool, and when it was warm.
Any suggestions?

k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)