Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 107 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-07, 10:18 PM   #1591 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 61


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_in_NH View Post
If, in fact, you have a blown head gasket, it is most likely from repeated overheating causing the head to warp, not fatigue.

BK
I guess we have a chicken and egg situation here ... what would cause the overheating to begin with, I wonder? I've had the car from new, and never saw the temp gauge rise above (1 below half) until my woes began about 18 months ago. I drive the car very conservatively - I enjoy it for it's smoothness and silence.

Reviewing my service history, I see that at 114k miles I had work done on my left-front axle/CV, and right after that there was an annoying vibration that at first, my mechanic couldn't even feel - noticeable at idle. Finally, after a few return visits, he agreed something was wrong, and did something (another axle/CV, I believe), and the vibration went away. Next thing I know - 115k miles - I started having cooling problems that went on for a few months, then went away after raplacing radiator, hoses, pump, thermo, etc. Then 30k miles of trouble free driving, and here we are at 143k miles having erratic cooling issues again.

I'll let you know what transpires next week!
steerpike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-10-07, 01:20 AM   #1592 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 61


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well, today was another 'event'. Two days ago, I transferred about 10 fl. oz. of coolant back to the radiator from the overflow, lowering the overflow tank back to 'max'. I check the oflo tank twice daily now, before my commute to work and home. The level was unchanged after my two days of 50+50 mile freeway commute, and the temp. reading never rose above normal.

Today (sat) I was supposed to take the car to the mechanic, but turns out he was not available so I drove around doing numerous errands - lots of short drives. By about 7pm, I noticed the temp. reading starting to rise. I checked the oflo tank, and it was close to the top - so today's driving pattern clearly pushed a good amount of coolant into it. So whatever issue I have, it seems susceptible to short, non-freeway drives.

I'm going to transfer the coolant back tomorrow, and I'm sure the pattern will repeat. HG service should now start Monday ... will keep you posted!
steerpike is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 05:17 PM   #1593 (permalink)
Registered User
 
pablohoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah,WA
Posts: 67


Car 1: 93 Acura Legend LS


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
dude, I know exactly what you`re going thru right now. Iv`e have to pour my overflow back into my radiator almost once or every other day,then bleed it. Get this though. I just got my tranny replaced last week, and since then, i haven`t gotten warm or had any coolant go back up into the resevoir. I know they reset the codes,not sure if that had anything to do with it.
pablohoney is offline  
 
Old 06-11-07, 09:44 PM   #1594 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 2


Car 1: 1995 white sedan


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
OK BK in NH. I'll give it a try

OK BK in NH
I have all the standard symptoms. I recently finished a job that included a new water pump, timing belt and radiator (the old one had cracked just below the cap). Things were working perfect for about 1000 miles and then the temp spikes started again.
I purchased a compression tester, thinking this would answer the BHG question. Well that didnít help, all cylinders 180 Ė 190 psi.
So I decide to check the forum again, and I see your post. Sure wonít cost much to try.
Initial observations are interesting. The engine was already hot and I ran it for about a half an hour parked in the driveway. I noticed the top radiator hose doesnít seem to be building up as much pressure. Prior to the bypass the top hose would look like it was on the verge of bursting. When I tried to squeeze it didnít give much.
Iíll post updates in a couple of days.
tlj000 is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 10:55 PM   #1595 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
OK BK in NH
I have all the standard symptoms. I recently finished a job that included a new water pump, timing belt and radiator (the old one had cracked just below the cap). Things were working perfect for about 1000 miles and then the temp spikes started again.
I purchased a compression tester, thinking this would answer the BHG question. Well that didnít help, all cylinders 180 Ė 190 psi.
So I decide to check the forum again, and I see your post. Sure wonít cost much to try.
Initial observations are interesting. The engine was already hot and I ran it for about a half an hour parked in the driveway. I noticed the top radiator hose doesnít seem to be building up as much pressure. Prior to the bypass the top hose would look like it was on the verge of bursting. When I tried to squeeze it didnít give much.
Iíll post updates in a couple of days.
If you start with a completely cooled engine, make sure the radiator and overflow tank are both full, then start it and let it idle while checking three hoses.

1. The upper radiator hose.
2. The new bypass hose.
3. The lower radiator hose.

First, you should start to feel the top part of the upper radiator hose start to feel warm. The bottom half will remain cool. This is because the top of the hose has air in it, the bottom has water.

Then, the new bypass hose should begin to get warmer and warmer. At this point, the lower radiator hose will still be cold.

After a few minutes, the new bypass hose should begin to get pretty hot. This is because water is passing through it, heading towards the thermostat housing. Soon, it will be too hot to hold. This is good. It means water is flowing properly.

The real test is when the lower radiator hose starts to get warm. If it does, the thermostat is open.

Eventually, the upper radiator hose should get VERY hot (because the water just exited the engine), and the lower hose should just get warm (because it was just cooled by the radiator.

Hope it works out for you. Please keep us informed of your results.

BK
BK_in_NH is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 10:19 AM   #1596 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Headgasket

Well, I have a blown headgasket in my poor little sexy Legend. But my dad bought some stuff at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts (some place like that) called Headgasket repair or whatever. It claims it will permanently repair it. I feel like this, if that's the case then why wouldn't more people do that instead of trashing their cars when that happens? Do y'all think it will work? Nevertheless, Legend will be finding out soon...
Livin' Legend93 is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 02:20 PM   #1597 (permalink)
Destory The Peace Champion, Empty Santas Sack Champion, Attack from the Influenza Chickens Champion, Last Man Standing: Keg Stand Champion, Kill Kitties Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,185


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
No it doesnt work. Use it and you will simply destroy you water pump and possibly clog the radiator and other cooling system parts.

If you have a BGH pull the thermostat and check your fluid every 2-3 days for overflow. Do not drive hard cause that will just build up pressure in the car. Save up cake do the HG repair or sell now.
Pito11213 is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 11:57 PM   #1598 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LEgEND-FEiGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capitol of NY..Albany
Posts: 297


Car 1: 1999 Acura rl
Car 2: 2008 Nissan altima


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LEgEND-FEiGN Send a message via MSN to LEgEND-FEiGN
yea man that shit does more harm than good...like pito said it most likely will clog somethin up like your radiator or wp...my car is havin those bhg symptoms and im just waitin for the shop to clear some space but in the meantime i baby her and constantly check the fluid..good luck tho
__________________
LEgEND-FEiGN is offline  
Old 06-13-07, 01:13 AM   #1599 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' Legend93 View Post
Well, I have a blown headgasket in my poor little sexy Legend. But my dad bought some stuff at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts (some place like that) called Headgasket repair or whatever. It claims it will permanently repair it. I feel like this, if that's the case then why wouldn't more people do that instead of trashing their cars when that happens? Do y'all think it will work? Nevertheless, Legend will be finding out soon...
How do you know you have a blown head gasket? What are the symptoms?
BK_in_NH is offline  
Old 06-16-07, 03:10 PM   #1600 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: here
Posts: 2,866


Car 1: Gynomobile


iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU-Legend View Post
Cole, I had a small leak in one of my water return hoses that was letting air into my system but the coolant wasn't actually leaking onto the ground so I couldn't see the leak. One shop said I had BHG but my Acura dealer found the leak and all is fixed now..
I'm having same problems with you guys.... no smoke, no visual leak, reservoir maxed out, air in system....

I hope I can find the leak soon.. if not, I have to fork out $ for the stealership to point it out to me, ha.
__________________

1994 GS (F:18 X 8.0 - R:18 X 9.0)
Volk Racing is offline  
Old 06-17-07, 10:51 AM   #1601 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I finally get to use working at the acura dealer to my advantage!
1 of my buddy mechanics said my coolant system may just need to be bled.so he said he'll try that 1st,and if that doesnt help my gauge almost hittin red at times,then he'll replace my thermostat.but!he said it could ALSO be my broken radiator cap.
So,ill try somethings...
And keep u guys posted.
=]
1ac95 is offline  
Old 06-18-07, 09:45 PM   #1602 (permalink)
Registered User
 
pablohoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah,WA
Posts: 67


Car 1: 93 Acura Legend LS


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
mines definitely blown, losing compression/power, constant coolant back-up. i`m getting it fixed.i can`t deal with this shit no more.
pablohoney is offline  
Old 06-19-07, 10:40 PM   #1603 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 64


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I own a 1991 legend and bought it a month ago. Now my temperature gauge is starting to spike. I don't know whether it's my dual fans not working or if it just needs a temp. gauge. I checked the radiator fluid and it's good. I don't know what the problem is. What can i do to fix the problem?




~Alex~
angelesdbz is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 03:09 AM   #1604 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 61


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
Well, today was another 'event'. Two days ago, I transferred about 10 fl. oz. of coolant back to the radiator from the overflow, lowering the overflow tank back to 'max'. I check the oflo tank twice daily now, before my commute to work and home. The level was unchanged after my two days of 50+50 mile freeway commute, and the temp. reading never rose above normal.

Today (sat) I was supposed to take the car to the mechanic, but turns out he was not available so I drove around doing numerous errands - lots of short drives. By about 7pm, I noticed the temp. reading starting to rise. I checked the oflo tank, and it was close to the top - so today's driving pattern clearly pushed a good amount of coolant into it. So whatever issue I have, it seems susceptible to short, non-freeway drives.

I'm going to transfer the coolant back tomorrow, and I'm sure the pattern will repeat. HG service should now start Monday ... will keep you posted!

OK - halelluja! Got my car back from the mechanic today, two new head gaskets. Drives beautifully so far!

He gave me the old HGs, both show signs of problems at the rear cylinder. I'll take some pictures to show you all soon. He said the heads were fine, no warpage, so no machining needed. He had offered to do a complete engine swap (JDM), and I said he could do that, but I also said, if the current engine looks good once you pop the head, let's stick with it and he said everything looked great (I've owned the car from new and treated it well). This guy is a friend of a friend, so I trust his judgment. The whole deal cost me $1,400 (my regular mechanic was wanting about double that).

I've been test driving '04 TLs, '04 RLs, and '03 BMW 5 series, with a view to buying a replacement; none of them come close to the drive of my '93 Legend - it's the perfect balance of smooth and sporty. I'm so glad to have it back! I'm gonna keep this sucker for another 100,000 at least!
steerpike is offline  
Old 06-20-07, 01:19 PM   #1605 (permalink)
Destory The Peace Champion, Empty Santas Sack Champion, Attack from the Influenza Chickens Champion, Last Man Standing: Keg Stand Champion, Kill Kitties Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,185


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
As far as getting info out of this thread, it is all about using the search function. The keywords you choose will determine the amount of information you get. Dont get stupid though, use statements that make sense.
Pito11213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

  The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide