Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 11 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-04, 04:22 PM   #151 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
You could take it for a hard 15 minute drive and try bleeding one more time if you want, otherwise it's time to start looking for other problems..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-04, 04:23 PM   #152 (permalink)

how do i bleed the system ?
Old 02-25-04, 06:42 PM   #153 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

Car 1: ka8
Car 2: chevro-legs

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Any idea what those other problems could be?
Why would the temp cool when driving and raise when idle?

k.

Old 02-25-04, 07:34 PM   #154 (permalink)

Alright, I don't know a lot past bleeding, but if the fans are not working at idle, the radiator might not be getting enough air, so that's one place to look. Other than that, I think some of the others can chime in.

For bleeding: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...g&pagenumber=1
Try searching for other threads if that one doesn't help
Old 02-26-04, 05:04 AM   #155 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

The fans were running after the motor temp rose, but I can't be sure they were running before that, when the temp first started rising.
Old 02-26-04, 06:48 AM   #156 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by khoerling
The fans were running after the motor temp rose, but I can't be sure they were running before that, when the temp first started rising.
It takes them a min to cut on... I think the temperature needs to be above the 3rd line for the fans to come on. But keep in mind if there is an air pocket in the cooling system, nothing is really overheating and the fans don't really need to be on.

All the air bubble does is trick the thermostat into thinking the engine is really hot. Thats why the temperature guage spikes. The engine tempearture does not go from normal to HOT to normal again in a few seconds... if it did, the block would crack or something would break under all the expansion and contraction of the alluminum.

As for your car overheating at idle... if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 reasons the fans turn on, 1 is if the car sits at idle for long enough, and 2 once your turn off the car they run for a short period after... If your fans turn on while the car is at idle, thats not where your problem. It is possible you have a very small amount of air in the cooling system, and that air naturaly rises to the upper parts of the cooling system at idle and may be causing the temp guage to rise (I have experienced my car doing this).

How much does the temp rise? and does it rise slowly? and if it does rise slowly, does it also drop slowly?

Last edited by Cole Austin; 02-26-04 at 06:55 AM.

Old 02-26-04, 08:11 AM   #157 (permalink)

I've heard before that bleeding our engines is a major pain and basically you have to know what your doing.
Old 02-26-04, 01:21 PM   #158 (permalink)

its just really annoying, all u gotta do is turn a screw just a lil, and spruts of air/coolent will come out. i hate doing it, its very messy. so i usualy turn my car off crack the bleeder screw very slightly put a rag on top of it and call it a night. oh ya cole austin....when the air bubbles heat up, they are not tricking the thermostat, they are tricking the temp sending unit. telling its very hot(overheating) when really the air is hotter then the coolent. the thermostat is wut lets the coolent flow threwout the engine once warmed up.when cold it closes up to make the fluid warm up as fast as possibal.
peace
drew
Old 02-26-04, 03:08 PM   #159 (permalink)

Where is the bleeder screw located ??
Old 02-26-04, 03:30 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CU-Legend

For bleeding: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...g&pagenumber=1
About halfway down this thread it's circled in green, it's a little screw right on top of where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine.
Old 02-27-04, 02:16 AM   #161 (permalink)

HELP!..I have a 95 Sedan w/ 116k miles. I have had major cooling system issues for the past year. It's excatly what everyone else is describing with thier symptoms. I was looking for some advice on what to do...

Symptoms:

1)Needle Spikes to H...I get No Heat..when stopped

2) When I give the car gas...needle comes back down..some heat for about 10 minutes. Repeats ever time i stop

3) Have to fill radiator with coolant about every other day with about 1/5 gal.

4)Coolant smell inside the car

5) Excessive white smoke from exhast even when car is shut off after driving

What I have done so far:

Acura replaced raditor, waterpump, timing belt, hoses, and thermostat twice

It was ok for about two months...then all the problems came back.

Now I am assured it must be a BHG...am I right?

My question: I have decided to replace the entire engine? Can I be assured the problem won't come back? Is there anything underlying issues with the cooling system such as sensors or computer issues that I should get done as well as the engine replacment? Before I make this big investment I wanted some feedback and thoughts on what I could expect. Also if anyone has had their engine replaced what is the estimate cost I should expect of this job? I appreciate all the feedback I can get...thanx!!!

Uoddy
Old 02-27-04, 03:21 AM   #162 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Uoddy
HELP!..I have a 95 Sedan w/ 116k miles. I have had major cooling system issues for the past year. It's excatly what everyone else is describing with thier symptoms. I was looking for some advice on what to do...

Symptoms:

1)Needle Spikes to H...I get No Heat..when stopped

2) When I give the car gas...needle comes back down..some heat for about 10 minutes. Repeats ever time i stop

3) Have to fill radiator with coolant about every other day with about 1/5 gal.

4)Coolant smell inside the car

5) Excessive white smoke from exhast even when car is shut off after driving

What I have done so far:

Acura replaced raditor, waterpump, timing belt, hoses, and thermostat twice

It was ok for about two months...then all the problems came back.

Now I am assured it must be a BHG...am I right?

My question: I have decided to replace the entire engine? Can I be assured the problem won't come back? Is there anything underlying issues with the cooling system such as sensors or computer issues that I should get done as well as the engine replacment? Before I make this big investment I wanted some feedback and thoughts on what I could expect. Also if anyone has had their engine replaced what is the estimate cost I should expect of this job? I appreciate all the feedback I can get...thanx!!!

Uoddy

Hey welcome to the forum. sorry you had to start off with a post like that...

The fact that you have a coolant smell inside the car and white smoke out the exhaust, leads me to belive you have a bad heater core and Blown Head Gasket.

You can get engines off ebay, and total cost of getting a new engine and swaping out the old one should be around $1300-$2000 (depending on how much you pay for the engine and the labor cost)

I would recomend using the search to see who has replaced their engines... I know a couple of people have done it, talk to them.

I would recomend starting off with checking the heater core.... it would be cheaper to fix/replace that first.... and then if the problem is still there, move on to the engine.

Old 02-28-04, 06:35 AM   #163 (permalink)

Engine Swap

Thanx for the info...looks like i am going for the total jdm engine swap...i was wonderin what the difference was between type I and type II...c32a? do jdm engine produce more HP ? Do any changes need to be made to the intake and manifold...the shop who is going to install it is asking if the engine is american standard and japanese standard? will the jdm engine fail emission test? any advice and info is appreciated..thanx everyone
Old 03-02-04, 10:53 AM   #164 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

The temperature rises fairly quickly after about 8 minutes of idle time.

Putting her in drive and moving solves the problem and the needle goes back down.

I've bleed the system and nothing but coolant comes out.

On a second, possibly related note, my AC just stopped working too, but it could be a fuse as it doesn't seem to engage at all.

Thanks,
k.h.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Austin
It takes them a min to cut on... I think the temperature needs to be above the 3rd line for the fans to come on. But keep in mind if there is an air pocket in the cooling system, nothing is really overheating and the fans don't really need to be on.

All the air bubble does is trick the thermostat into thinking the engine is really hot. Thats why the temperature guage spikes. The engine tempearture does not go from normal to HOT to normal again in a few seconds... if it did, the block would crack or something would break under all the expansion and contraction of the alluminum.

As for your car overheating at idle... if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 reasons the fans turn on, 1 is if the car sits at idle for long enough, and 2 once your turn off the car they run for a short period after... If your fans turn on while the car is at idle, thats not where your problem. It is possible you have a very small amount of air in the cooling system, and that air naturaly rises to the upper parts of the cooling system at idle and may be causing the temp guage to rise (I have experienced my car doing this).

How much does the temp rise? and does it rise slowly? and if it does rise slowly, does it also drop slowly?
Old 03-03-04, 12:30 AM   #165 (permalink)

When's the last time you had a flush and fill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)