Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 13 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-04, 02:12 PM   #181 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1st of all, all the radiators in this car were defective and most everybody here should have replaced it by now, acura knew it and screwed us, shoulda been recalled. 2nd if you have bled you system and you are still getting air in and it is either reving crazy or heat wont come on unless you are moving it is most likely your Head Gasket. I know its hard to believe because you dont see the coolant leak and it runs fine but what is is doing is sucking coolant into the cylinder then burning it off. As far as $1000+ try more like $2500+ the parts alone are about $700 plus the heads have to be sent to a machine shop and be milled. The only way to tell if this is the problem which i would bet it is , is to have a scope put down the cylinder. People find out they need a head job and just sell the car instead of paying $2500 to fix a $5000 car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-04, 02:46 PM   #182 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by gagdaddy-legend
1st of all, all the radiators in this car were defective and most everybody here should have replaced it by now, acura knew it and screwed us, shoulda been recalled. 2nd if you have bled you system and you are still getting air in and it is either reving crazy or heat wont come on unless you are moving it is most likely your Head Gasket. I know its hard to believe because you dont see the coolant leak and it runs fine but what is is doing is sucking coolant into the cylinder then burning it off. As far as $1000+ try more like $2500+ the parts alone are about $700 plus the heads have to be sent to a machine shop and be milled. The only way to tell if this is the problem which i would bet it is , is to have a scope put down the cylinder. People find out they need a head job and just sell the car instead of paying $2500 to fix a $5000 car
thats a real good post for your second post... its got alot of good information, but common now, you make it sound like everybody in this overheating thread has a BHG... there are other possibilities.

Old 03-12-04, 12:32 AM   #183 (permalink)

Let me throw this at you all -

In the past TWO years, I've gone through the following steps to STOP the overheating of my 1991 Legend:
1) Thermostat - $100 installed - took care of the overheating for about 3 months.
2) Another thermostat - another $100 installed - again, took care of the overheating for about 3 more months.
3) Went to Acura Dealer - ENTIRE car inspected for $50 - found oil in the coolant - recommended head gaskets be replaced.
4) Head Gaskets replaced -$1350 by local honda/acura mechanic (could not afford $2k at dealer). Good for a week - overheating again.
5) Leaking coolant detected - hoses replaced - all of them - roughly $400. Good for a couple months. Overheating again
6) Another thermostat - $100 installed - again! ~ mechanic thought the previous overheating from the blown hose may have caused damage to the thermostat. Also, he notices that the fans aren't kicking on as they should be. Replaces sensor (for free - YEAH!) at same time. Guess what - would you believe the car doesn't overheat again for about three months (go figure). Uht-oh - yep, overheating again - leaking too.
7) For christ sake! There's a crack in the radiator - replace radiator $300. Runs great again for about three more months. Overheating again - present day - today.

What I have experienced CONSISTENTLY is this - the car revs like a mad man when you start it up and it's cold. It's like to trying to a 200 charging horses and requires heavy braking to keep her still. After about 5 minutes of city driving, it calms down and then it starts to overheat. As soon as I hit the highway - the temp gauge looks normal and stays normal, so long as I keep the car on the highway. As soon as I get off and back to city driving, it kicks back up and overheats, but will fluctuate, up and down in temp while I'm driving. Over the course of a month or so, it gets more and more severe with each passing day, with the temp going higher and getting there quicker.

So, I say to you experts - what the is possibly left to replace or check on the cooling system of this vehicle?!
Why am I STILL having problems?? Any suggestions, comments, sympathies appreciated.

Old 03-12-04, 12:42 AM   #184 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by wem1472

In the past TWO years, I've gone through the following steps to STOP the overheating of my 1991 Legend:
1) Thermostat - $100 installed - took care of the overheating for about 3 months.
2) Another thermostat - another $100 installed - again, took care of the overheating for about 3 more months.
3) Went to Acura Dealer - ENTIRE car inspected for $50 - found oil in the coolant - recommended head gaskets be replaced.
4) Head Gaskets replaced -$1350 by local honda/acura mechanic (could not afford $2k at dealer). Good for a week - overheating again.
5) Leaking coolant detected - hoses replaced - all of them - roughly $400. Good for a couple months. Overheating again
6) Another thermostat - $100 installed - again! ~ mechanic thought the previous overheating from the blown hose may have caused damage to the thermostat. Also, he notices that the fans aren't kicking on as they should be. Replaces sensor (for free - YEAH!) at same time. Guess what - would you believe the car doesn't overheat again for about three months (go figure). Uht-oh - yep, overheating again - leaking too.
7) For christ sake! There's a crack in the radiator - replace radiator $300. Runs great again for about three more months. Overheating again - present day - today.

What I have experienced CONSISTENTLY is this - the car revs like a mad man when you start it up and it's cold. It's like to trying to a 200 charging horses and requires heavy braking to keep her still. After about 5 minutes of city driving, it calms down and then it starts to overheat. As soon as I hit the highway - the temp gauge looks normal and stays normal, so long as I keep the car on the highway. As soon as I get off and back to city driving, it kicks back up and overheats, but will fluctuate, up and down in temp while I'm driving. Over the course of a month or so, it gets more and more severe with each passing day, with the temp going higher and getting there quicker.

So, I say to you experts - what the is possibly left to replace or check on the cooling system of this vehicle?!
Why am I STILL having problems?? Any suggestions, comments, sympathies appreciated.
Hairline crack in the engine block is the only thing I can think of.

Old 03-12-04, 08:07 AM   #185 (permalink)

OKAY I AM VERY PISSED WITH THE ACURA DEALERSHIP

I brought the legend in to the local dealership for a pressure test to check for external leaks. They said absolutely no external leaks. Nothing. They charged me the 80 for the diagnostic and told me they had no idea what the problem was and quoted me a $2300 headgasket job.

Wednesday, I bring it to my mechanic which was a little further out. He found 4 leaks near some hoses that only required tightening the hose clamps. He let it run for a while and took it for a tough drive and the temperature stayed perfectly level. He's going to make sure that there are no leaks tommarrow and there is no air in the system but OMG THE PEOPLE AT THE ACURA DEALERSHIP ARE CROOKS!!!! and i am getting my money back for their "DIAGNOSTIC" or else.....

phew i feel better now
Old 03-12-04, 08:16 AM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wem1472

Did you do your 90K service along with WP/TB?
Old 03-12-04, 08:23 AM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by klein
same here.stealership(acura of seattle)checked it and smell the burned coolant.they said its HEADGASKET!so after 2 months of not believing what they've says about it..2 months of filling up every damn week coolant on reservoir. i went to this asian mechanic for oil change.(he's d one who rethreaded my oil pan.preventin me to replace d oil pan )anyway,ya so i told him,about this smell burnt coolant,cant find the leaks on engine bay.so when he checked all d hoses underneath d 'radiator.there he found a one hose clamp that its not tight..ever since then,no more adding coolant every week,NO MORE BURNT SMELL COOLANTand no more goin to that su---in stealership. oh man!woosh!that's $1100.00 head gasket job .LIAR!!!

YEA, NO KIDDING!!!!
Old 03-12-04, 08:33 AM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Austin
thats a real good post for your second post... its got alot of good information, but common now, you make it sound like everybody in this overheating thread has a BHG... there are other possibilities.

Thanks, but what I'm trying to tell people here is they are doing everything in the world to fix their cars, dropping money on thermostats,hoses,radiators and this and that. Until nothing else works then they figure out it is the head gasket, by then they have already dropped a bunch of money on stuff which wasnt the problem. I hate to see these people say they have dropped $500 on trying to fix stuff that wasnt the problem then to get smacked upside the head with a $2500 estimate for a head gasket because it is the last thing they checked. If you have over 120,000 miles i would check the gasket and rule it out, it isnt a hard thing to rule out. If your car is doing the reving thing, you are getting air in your system somehow. The thing with this car is you can have a small leak in the head gasket and see no outward signs of it and the car will run fine so it is something that is easily missed when people diagnos your car. Last thing overhaeating this car is one of the things that can cause the gasket to blow.
Old 03-12-04, 09:30 AM   #189 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Austin
It defiently must be air in the cooling system. What is happening is when you sit at idle, the coolant is moving slow enough to allow the air to rise to the top of the system, as it does this the temperature sensor (which is located near the top of the system) reads the air pocket as "HOT" and that causes your temp spike.

The second you start moving again, the temp needle falls because the coolant flows faster and flushes out the air bubble... when you get the coolant flowing under higher RPM's, the air gets spread out and the temperature sensor never gets the air pocket again. which is why you read normal temperature while moving.

Your car, like many others on this thread are not truly over heating, but instead has a coolant leak.

Places prone to leaks are:

The heater core hoses (at the back of the engine, they go through the firewall near the passneger side)

Directly behind the intake there are hoses that run into the throttle body that most people miss checking because you have to remove the air intake to see them

And (pray its not this) your Headgasket.

I'm not saying that your car may have any of those problems, I'm just saying that its a higher possibility in legends to have the above problems. I would have a mechanic check the entire cooling system for leaks. Right now it sounds like you have very small amount of air in your cooling system. Bleed out the air (further back on this thread there are several links explaining how).

Also, I would guess you have a pressure leak, so the car must be running and at normal opperating temperature to even beable to determine if there are any external leaks.

thanks Cole, I am gonna have a tech look at her tomorrow. do u know anything about the dye they put in ur coolant system and should i have a combustion check to be on the safe side?
Old 03-14-04, 08:22 AM   #190 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Allright fellas, If you did not hear allready, I replaced my radiator (and mastercylinder). SO FAR, the problem as gone away. I will keep yall posted on what ends up happening... I still doubt this will fix my problem.

Old 03-15-04, 07:24 AM   #191 (permalink)

well, buying a new radiator cap fixed my problem....imagine that...after $200 dollars of diagnostic testing, i fixed it myself with a 7.99 cap. it was a radiator from auto radiator outlet and it used the 11233 cap rather than the 11242 or the 10242 oem spec cap.

im speachless.... moral of the story, dont look into these problems with overheating more than you have to.
Old 03-15-04, 12:25 PM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaTheLegend
well, buying a new radiator cap fixed my problem....imagine that...after $200 dollars of diagnostic testing, i fixed it myself with a 7.99 cap. it was a radiator from auto radiator outlet and it used the 11233 cap rather than the 11242 or the 10242 oem spec cap.

im speachless.... moral of the story, dont look into these problems with overheating more than you have to.

wow, that was easy enough, I think I will check mine also. I to got my radiator from Auto Radiator Outlet.
Old 03-15-04, 12:28 PM   #193 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by marvcjr
thanks Cole, I am gonna have a tech look at her tomorrow. do u know anything about the dye they put in ur coolant system and should i have a combustion check to be on the safe side?
Well I did not get to get my car into the shop on friday as planned, however, my car has not overheated not even once this past weekend. I let it run, run, run and no more over heating. I guess that I still had some air in the system that I finally got out.
Old 03-15-04, 12:29 PM   #194 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone one for their help and ideas with this troublesome problem.
Old 03-15-04, 01:28 PM   #195 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by marvcjr
wow, that was easy enough, I think I will check mine also. I to got my radiator from Auto Radiator Outlet.
don't get a cheap one like I did.... because instead of the radiator cap blowing... my upper radiator hose blew up. so be sure its the right one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)