Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 141 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-09, 05:32 PM   #2101 (permalink)
$TILL B0$$ H0&&IN

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I recently bought another t-stat from Auto- Zone, only to still have the over-heating problem,I put the OEM back in today, I relpaced one bad relay and the sensor at the bottom of the radiator, but it still spikes to the red area, i have noticed that this only happens in the morning, in the afternoon the temp stays at normal operating level...is a BHG on the horizon? I dont have white smoke or water in my oil, the car runs great actually....HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-09, 04:17 AM   #2102 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
bLOWN HEAD GASKET???

JUS YESTERDAY MY CAR BEGAN OVER HEATING ON THE FREEWAY.. AS I EXITED OFF THE CAR WAS SMOKING REALLY BAD UNDER THE HOOD BUT I NEVER SEEN WHITE SMOKE COME OUT THE TAIL PIPES. HOWEVER THE CAR DID TURN OFF AS I CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP AND AFTER LETTING IT SIT OVER 30 MINS DID NOT START. I WENT BACK TO THE LOCATION OF THE CAR THIS MOURNING AND IT STILL WONT START. THE IGNITION TURNS AND IT FEELS LIKE IT WANTS TO CATCH BUT IT JUS WONT. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

THANKS
Old 04-04-09, 10:56 PM   #2103 (permalink)

It doesnt ALWAYS mean you have BHG. That is just the easy way out for 2nd generation legend owners to say they have one. I had all the classic overheating problems, replaced the radiator, thermo, added antifreeze every 2 days bc it leaked into my resivoir and steamed out the hose. Today i bought a new radiator cap and what do ya know, all my problems went away. The reason being, if there is a broken seal on the radiator cap, the pressure from the antifreeze expanding looks for holes like that to travel to. Once the fluid got to the top its only way out was the resivoir, and once you lost alot of antifreeze that is when you see the steam coming out because its getting pushed to the top. If your radiator cap works the antifreeze doesnt get pulled towards the air leak so the pressure is kept in the raidator and sent through your hoses into the motor instead of the top of the radiator.

Old 04-08-09, 08:52 PM   #2104 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend L

MY 94 LEGEND HAS 196,000MI IT WAS DOING ALL THESE THINGS IT WAS OVERHEATING BUT NOT ALL THE TIME, I WOULD LET IT RUN FOR 30-40 MINUTES NOTHING SOON AS I STARTED TO DRIVE IT IT WOULD OVERHEAT, CHANGED THERMOSTAT SAME PROBLEM TOOK IT TO THE SHOP BLOWN HEAD GASKET $1500-3000 TO FIX. NEEDLESS TO SAY I BOUGHT AN ENGINE FROM JAPAN FOR ABOUT $1500 WITH 35,000 MI, BEING INSTALLED AS WE SPEAK. SO THE LEGEND SHOULD BE PRACTICALLY NEW WHEN I GET IT BACK.
Old 04-08-09, 09:27 PM   #2105 (permalink)

Everyone should always check your condenser and radiator fan relays too....I did an engine swap on a car only to find out that the fans weren't working and thats why the car was overheating....no fans were working.....i replaced the relay and now i have a good Legend Engine that works....

anyone want a Legend Engine? $250!!
Old 04-10-09, 10:51 AM   #2106 (permalink)

I just wanted to say, I bought a 93 Acura 5sp a few months ago. When the guy sold it to me, he said it just needed a tstat, so I brought one with me for the sale. Long story short the tstat didn't help but I loved the car so paid $500, it has about 140k. A few days later I got the constant heavy smoke and it overheated within 8mins of driving and all the coolant was gone. So after trying the obvious bleeding, hoses. Etc. I got some block/gasket seal for $10 dollars. No smoke and I'm holding all my coolant the temp is not fine. So if you need to get by until you upgrade the engine or get the nuts to change the BHG.
Here is my question maybe once a week my gage will shoot up but will go right back down, So I changed the temp sensor but the new one shot up within 4 mins after I started the car cold so we checked the actual temp of the engine and it was still cold.
Any reason this aftermarket temp sensor would work worse then the original? Do you think the dealer would have a better one? I did notice the old one had a 12m nut and the new one was 13m.. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-09, 11:06 AM   #2107 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I should read what I post first..
The Temp is great since I put the head seal stuff in.
With one blemish which is not a huge deal, about once a week the gage will shoot up and and will go right back down.

The car is not actually overheating but I would like to get an accurate reading. Is there anything special about these temp sensors?

BTW: The temp sensor is located right behind the coolant bleeder valve.
Old 04-11-09, 07:51 AM   #2108 (permalink)

is there hose on botton of engine center first time seing leak there not while running water pump hose hand bend in it causing problems just notice tired but love my car had bad exp with so called mechanics that emptied my pockets to see bent hose
Old 04-11-09, 11:44 PM   #2109 (permalink)

Okay, Im not sure why my legend is overheating. its a '94 type II auto. K, so first the car wasn't heat up, i replaced the thremo: fixed. A couple months later, a heater hose was leaking, i fixed it. THEN the next day the car over heated (never over heated before, since i bought it). The pressure cap was blowing off. Replaced it, still over heats. Replaced thermo with one that opens 10 degrees sooner, drained and replaced fluid (and removed air). Still over heats. Now the weird, It doesn't loose fluid, the heater blows cool, i was retarted and took the pressure cap off when it was at normal temp... and got sprayed with.... COLD water. But the water shot out, so the pump must be working... The fans also dont come on... i have no idea what's wrong with it. Also, when you first turn it on, it puffs a little white some (some times) but also surges... but once its warm, or in drive (with the break on so it wont move and drops RPM) it wont surge or puff steam. So basicly... i have no idea what's wrong. The wasnt oil in the coolant i drained... and i can't find oil on the oil dip stick...
Old 04-15-09, 08:00 PM   #2110 (permalink)

Can someone tell me why the fans won't turn off on my 95 Legend?
Old 04-16-09, 10:52 AM   #2111 (permalink)

i have a 92 legend and my ac idler pulley was messed up
so i order a new one from parts.com. they say it factory part
the pulley was for 91-95..but when i took the old pulley out
the hole in the middle of the old pulley is smaller then the new one
and the new one don't spin..i am not sure that do the ac idler pulley suppose
to spin when the belts run or no?..help
Old 04-16-09, 09:53 PM   #2112 (permalink)

Not sure about where to buy my replacement radiator from..

So I was at the Acura dealer the other day buying a pulley for my ac belt and asked them for a price for a radiator which was $4oo some odd bucks...well I looked online and found this link for $95 Radiator.com - Acura Legend 1993 3.2L, 196ci, L-6 Radiator Price

Am I better to just get a genuine radiator from Acura and have the peae of mind in having an OEM part?

This $95 looks good but I dont want to try and be cheap and spend more $ down the road
Old 04-16-09, 10:37 PM   #2113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugot2luvrb View Post
So I was at the Acura dealer the other day buying a pulley for my ac belt and asked them for a price for a radiator which was $4oo some odd bucks...well I looked online and found this link for $95 Radiator.com - Acura Legend 1993 3.2L, 196ci, L-6 Radiator Price

Am I better to just get a genuine radiator from Acura and have the peae of mind in having an OEM part?

This $95 looks good but I dont want to try and be cheap and spend more $ down the road
parts.com and acuraOEMparts.com

better
Old 04-17-09, 12:36 AM   #2114 (permalink)

milky oil in radiator!

my friend has a 91 legend and we just notice there was oil int he radiator after started to over heat alittle.We drained it, did a flush worked good for about a week and a half.Its weird because theres no water in the oil at all mechanic we know says we need a new radiator.dont really know the problem.were hoping we dont have to deal with a blown head gasket. any opinion
Old 04-23-09, 01:15 PM   #2115 (permalink)

my 94legend is overheating and blowing white smoke. it was actually blowing white smoke a few months ago but i changed the pcv valve and that fixed the problem until now. i changed the thermostat, no change, nothing unusual about the dipstick or the coolant. changed the coolant and bled the system, no change. also noticed my heater wasn't blowing out hot air, help me please i have over 200k on the engine and never had a problem. I'M CONFUSED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)