Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 15 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-04, 01:25 PM   #211 (permalink)

Car 1: '95LS Milano Red 6spd Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to misdeismo
Coolant overflow tank

I'm just curious, does anyone know what color the residue left on the walls of the coolant overflow resivoir tank should be? Should there even be a residue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-04, 01:46 PM   #212 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend L Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No, there should be little if any residue on the walls of the coolant bottle, unless you have the beginning of the BHG slow leak. Exhaust pushes oil into the coolant and it shows up first in the bottle. This is what the first sign of potential problem was for myself and JetDoc and others. We followed up with a coolant flush, and then they started overheating off and on.

It seems like the powerflush pushes an extra amount of the gasket loose or something, but it would ultimately happen anyway.

The only other way, if you have very old coolant, it can start to gel somewhat, but almost always the oil (put some on a white paper towel, and watch it separate and smell it) is a bad sign.
Old 03-18-04, 02:31 PM   #213 (permalink)

Re: Count me in ... *sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleecylocks
I'm one of the newest members of the BHG club. No, really, I want to cry. I've had a helluva day.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the specifics ... I've had much the same problems as u all ... you can see some of my initial posts about my engine revving. Anyway, I took it to a shop today who confirmed a BHG (when the dealer couldn't) and gave me a price of $1600. I don't think that includes anything other than the gasket job. He told me it was labor intensive and about $1200 was labor alone.

This is my last post....$1200 is about right for labor it books at around 16 hour job. It they have your car for less than 3 days min you better worry. Some of these people who are quoting ridiculously low prices make me wonder exactly what they are having done. It is possible to buy the gasket kit by either just he right side or just the left side for around $250 online and not the whole kit. Maybe they are having just one side replaced. Make sure they do both. Make sure they use a good set with graphite gaskets. You all need to ask these people who are doing the job how they determined it was the HG, they should be able to tell you exactly what cylinder is leaking. Ask them what they are going to replace? how much are the parts? how much is labor? A head gasket job isnt just changing a few gaskets, i went threw the kit and it is 99 of them. You are almost rebuilding the whole engine. If anyone wants a list of whats in the whole kit email me. I will repeat, i dont care if you own the acura dealership or another auto parts store, to get a decent kit cant be done for under $400 and you are lucky if you get it for $500 or $600. Thats just the gaskets and seals, not the, plugs, thermostat, oil, coolant etc. I hate to see you all just trying to get this done as cheap as possible. Anything under $1800 you better be worried.

Old 03-22-04, 06:33 AM   #214 (permalink)

Im new to the board but I am finding this a very interesting subject since my Acura is showing the very early signs of a possible bhg .
I do get the rough idle of going up and down and spitting out cool air through the vents.I have a obvious radiator leak coming from the top tank that i notice leaks into the engine compartment slighty and drips from the bottom of the vehicle
Like I said earlier I get the cool air through the vents once in a while but it does not happen as often as it used too since I have been constantly adding coolant and i find that i have to add coolant once or twice every couple of days and bleeding the valve once in awhile
I have not noticed the temp guage rise for a while now since i have been keeping up on coolant and i do not notice any white exhaust or any puddle on the passenger side.
Im not sure if I caught this early enough but I plan on getting the radiator replaced regardless.. Is there anything else that I should replace or check while im in this early stage of this horrible tragedy?
Thanks for your ideas
**One thing that I did notice was when this all started happening and it started overheating i had taken it to a Pro Lube for an oil lube.. so i am unsure whether this may have caused the problems or help lead onto the problems
Oh ya BTW
1991 Acura Legend 4dr,auto,110,000miles
Old 03-22-04, 07:41 AM   #215 (permalink)
Cole Austin

I had my radiator replaced and It fixed my problem. I had some signs pointing to a BGH... and I thought that was my problem, but sofar, just getting the radiator replaced fixed my problem.

Old 03-22-04, 08:36 AM   #216 (permalink)

Re: Re: Count me in ... *sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by gagdaddy-legend
This is my last post....$1200 is about right for labor it books at around 16 hour job. It they have your car for less than 3 days min you better worry. Some of these people who are quoting ridiculously low prices make me wonder exactly what they are having done. It is possible to buy the gasket kit by either just he right side or just the left side for around $250 online and not the whole kit. Maybe they are having just one side replaced. Make sure they do both. Make sure they use a good set with graphite gaskets. You all need to ask these people who are doing the job how they determined it was the HG, they should be able to tell you exactly what cylinder is leaking. Ask them what they are going to replace? how much are the parts? how much is labor? A head gasket job isnt just changing a few gaskets, i went threw the kit and it is 99 of them. You are almost rebuilding the whole engine. If anyone wants a list of whats in the whole kit email me. I will repeat, i dont care if you own the acura dealership or another auto parts store, to get a decent kit cant be done for under $400 and you are lucky if you get it for $500 or $600.
Advance Auto Parts..... Fel-Pro Part # HS9031PT $272.88
Old 03-22-04, 01:21 PM   #217 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Count me in ... *sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by 67GTONUT
Advance Auto Parts..... Fel-Pro Part # HS9031PT $272.88

Do your homework, thats not the full set. thats just the Head Gaskets, it doesnt include all the valve seals and other gaskets needed to do this job the right way. Like I said before the complete kit to do this job right is a 99 piece set. Its a complete engine overhaul. Skimp now pay double later.
Old 03-22-04, 09:46 PM   #218 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Count me in ... *sigh

Quote:
Do your homework, thats not the full set. thats just the Head Gaskets, it doesnt include all the valve seals and other gaskets needed to do this job the right way. Like I said before the complete kit to do this job right is a 99 piece set. Its a complete engine overhaul. Skimp now pay double later.
Sorry bud....... not gonna get into a pissing match. Its got the 99 gaskets and seals in it.... trust me...... ask me how I know
Old 03-22-04, 09:53 PM   #219 (permalink)

Just double checked part numbers.....

Fel-Pro 9031PT Left side $48.00
Fel-Pro 9032PT Right Side $48.00

Fel-Pro HS9031PT Head Set(Complete Kit) $272.88

I am just trying to pass along something that I have found when I went looking for the parts to repair my car.
Old 03-23-04, 12:31 AM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Austin
I had my radiator replaced and It fixed my problem. I had some signs pointing to a BGH... and I thought that was my problem, but sofar, just getting the radiator replaced fixed my problem.
Cole, did you have an aftermarket or a stock radiator?

And how long did you have it?
Old 03-23-04, 12:47 AM   #221 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Re: Re: Count me in ... *sigh

Quote:
Anything under $1800 you better be worried.
I do head gasket jobs for $1600 and I wouldn't be worried. I've already done 3 of them, and as far as I know, none have had any problems since. One of those 3 cars is my own.
Old 03-23-04, 06:04 PM   #222 (permalink)

well blow me down.. i just tried to get home with an overheating car and came to search for this and look what i found... so hear goes.

Got outta work and warmed it up usual (remote start) then dropped off a buddy... on the way noticed that there wasn't much heat and then later noticed the needle WAAAAY UP! I stopped immediately and popped the hood: (Before you go screaming i didn't drive the car for a month)

No colant (or very little) - so i filled it up to the max line as i had a gallon jug in the trunk

I now hear like water boiling or something at the back of the engine which i'm being told is where the water pump is. That was changed not more than 2-3 months ago so it could be it but they better change that one for free!

So if it's not that then what else could it be? I was driving my brothers 94 LS once and noticed no heat (for a longtime too) and then checked the needle and it was maxed up HIGH but a lil while later (say 1-2mins) it went back down to normal automatically without me doing anything and has been fine since then..

So i dunno... on my car is it the Thermostat? Water pump? Radiator (even tho now full with coolant)? or even worse Head Gaskets? or any other suggestions... it's 4am and i just finally made it home (left the car out there - didn't wanna burn it up) so i'm off to bed... if you got a full onslaught of questions to ask or kick my ass for not treating my Legend like how she deserves for the pass month then just email me i guess... or reply here

NOTE: Didn't read every single page of this yet, only the first 2 cuz it's 4am and i'm tired!

SHoTTa35 @ OpTOnline . net (no space)
Old 03-24-04, 04:40 AM   #223 (permalink)

Well, my buddy got the heads off last nite. Yep.... gasket on the back cylinders on both sides......shot.
For a car that is designed almost perfectly in every other way, its a shame that they have this problem.
Oh well, Hopefully we are good for another 100,000 miles...
Old 03-24-04, 05:07 AM   #224 (permalink)

I have a 91Ls coupe recently diagnosis with a BHG here at Acura of Omaha, NE. They obviously work with these all the time. Quoted me $1400 for the whole repair. Now I'm just debating if I want to invest or not. Everything has been replaced already: WP, TB, radiator, sensors, relays, therm. everything in hopes of trying to resolve the overheating issue. $1300 later she still overheats.

With that said...take your car to a acura dealer or a qualified mech. I tried to go the cheap route. And the mech. didnt diagnosis my problem correctly. Acura of omaha had the answer in one hour... DOH!!
Old 03-24-04, 05:10 AM   #225 (permalink)

well dunno how much this correlates but since Honda makes Accords and Legends figured i'd give a lil insight..

VIN: 1HGCA5639HA015497
Year/Make/Model: 1987 HONDA ACCORD LX
Body Style: Sedan 4 DR
Engine Type: 2.0L L4 2BBL
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES

and had the same problem the day before the legend crapped out too (started driving the legend cuz the 87 crapped out)

I noticed that the honda was steaming (but so old - couldn't open the hood, cable broke) just like the legend.. happened to get that opened just now and noticed there was a hose leak (water to the engine) ... luckily it was right at the end so i cut the hose then reattach it and no leaks.. then checked the fuses and the fuse for the ECU was blown... changed that and it's all good now.. so tomorrow time to work on the legend cuz i gotta go work soon.. will post back soon.

ECU - ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)