Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 181 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-11, 11:03 AM   #2701 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Saturday I had a guy from Acura, who i found out stay 4 blocks from me, come by to check out my car. I have a bad water pump, and he also told me to change my radiator too. So, great call guys! Now I need to buy a pump and timing belt. What would be a good brand of choice to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-11, 11:17 AM   #2702 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend L Cloth Type II Auto
Car 2: 1994 LS Coupe 6speed

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ireland View Post
Saturday I had a guy from Acura, who i found out stay 4 blocks from me, come by to check out my car. I have a bad water pump, and he also told me to change my radiator too. So, great call guys! Now I need to buy a pump and timing belt. What would be a good brand of choice to buy?
Wit all the troubles you have had with your car, you must stay with OEM replacement parts for your car. Don't go down to Advance Auto Parts and order a timing belt, water pump, etc from the guy behind the parts counter.

I would highly recommend a Koyo Aluminum radiator for your car. I put one in recently in my car.

http://www.autoradiators4less.com/st...cat=742&page=1

Latch onto the guy from the Acura dealership. He can probably get you reduced prices on stuff. I'd also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses when you do the job.
Old 06-13-11, 12:31 PM   #2703 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HondaOwner View Post
Wit all the troubles you have had with your car, you must stay with OEM replacement parts for your car. Don't go down to Advance Auto Parts and order a timing belt, water pump, etc from the guy behind the parts counter.

I would highly recommend a Koyo Aluminum radiator for your car. I put one in recently in my car.

http://www.autoradiators4less.com/st...cat=742&page=1

Latch onto the guy from the Acura dealership. He can probably get you reduced prices on stuff. I'd also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses when you do the job.
Got ya! I'll ask him how much for parts and installation today after work. He didnt have a lot of time to play around with it, due to his little girls bday party was Saturday, but he's going to come back Wednesday do to I coach AAU football on Mon, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Will keep yall posted.

Old 06-13-11, 12:45 PM   #2704 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 2013 VW Passat SE MT
Car 3: 2008 RL Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ireland View Post
Got ya! I'll ask him how much for parts and installation today after work. He didnt have a lot of time to play around with it, due to his little girls bday party was Saturday, but he's going to come back Wednesday do to I coach AAU football on Mon, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Will keep yall posted.
Changing the water pump and timing belt are major maintenance jobs for this car. You will have to have a lot of stuff off to replace just those two items. I agree that OEM is very important for parts like those. But to save money you might want to have all the coolant hoses replaced at the same time. With everything out of the way, changing out hoses is a lot easier. You can look back through this thread to get an idea of what is doable. Also, I believe that cleaning out the intake manifold and nearby areas including EGR while this stuff is all apart will help your car perform as it was designed to do.

I would consider asking the tech that you met if he or someone else that he knows/respects would do the job for you on the side. Honda/Acura charges an arm and a leg, and there must be other mechanics in a large city like Houston who could do a very good job on a Legend. I found two in the small city where I live.
Old 07-06-11, 09:39 PM   #2705 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Dark Grey Sedan

Hi Bravo,
I did change the thermostat, but not OEM. I will do that next weekend and let you know. Honestly, since the post, I have had brake light issues, alternator stopped working. I replaced the alternator, but now the brake lights that did not work now stay on. I have another post regarding that.....stay tuned...
Old 07-16-11, 01:15 AM   #2706 (permalink)

i jus changed my HG, radiator, water pump, and the cooling fan switch but i cannot seem to find why my car still over heats. also the fans do not turn on, could that be the problem?, the car over heats in about 5-10minutes of driving
Old 07-17-11, 01:57 AM   #2707 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak23 View Post
Hi Bravo,
I did change the thermostat, but not OEM. I will do that next weekend and let you know. Honestly, since the post, I have had brake light issues, alternator stopped working. I replaced the alternator, but now the brake lights that did not work now stay on. I have another post regarding that.....stay tuned...
Hi Silverstreak,
Your problem may be electrical some kind of a short some where, or just a simple fuse.

I experienced that my cooling fan stayed on and didn't want to turn off when it suppose to. Usually both fans are on when the ac is in use but the car was completely off and still the fan running. Noticed that after two hours of being parked. It was a relay that burned out causing the cooling fan to continously run.

In your case, it may be a fuse or check the alternator's connection.

92Legendcoupe
Old 07-17-11, 02:10 AM   #2708 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkevinr View Post
i jus changed my HG, radiator, water pump, and the cooling fan switch but i cannot seem to find why my car still over heats. also the fans do not turn on, could that be the problem?, the car over heats in about 5-10minutes of driving
Hi elkevenir,
Did you had your heads machined prior to reinstallation of the headgaskets?
Heads tend to be unleveled in certain areas and needs to be adjusted prior to reinstallation otherwise you may still have a problem overheating again. You also mentioned that you replaced the radiator, what type is it?
Is it Koyo or visteon?

After replacement and added coolant did you bleed the cooling system. Because it may still be trapping air in the engine. You may want to bleed the system a few times at least if it has a steady stream then you're ok. If it bubbles up continue the bleeding process until it comes out without air bubbles.

92Legendcoupe

Last edited by bravo659; 07-17-11 at 02:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-17-11, 02:54 PM   #2709 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 03 TL Type-S

Whats goin on people. I've got a problem right now with my 92 LS coupe. What i definitely know is that I'm leaking coolant over over the god damn place, and it's overheating quick. Im not to sure if this hissing noise coming from the thermostat area has anything to do with the leaking, but when i squeeze on the upper radiator tube, it hisses too. I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem or knows what's going on. I can't seem to pinpoint where the leak is at, or if its coming from a gasket on the thermostat or a tube somewhere i can't see or reach. Anyone have any suggestions por help, I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks. "The NEW GUY".
Old 07-17-11, 03:56 PM   #2710 (permalink)

check your hoses for any pinhole leaks. Ususally you wont see it unless you accelerate. It could be coming from your upper or lower hoses, or your radiator neck, or your rear water closet hose or may come from your water pump. You would need to see where that coolant is coming from.
Old 07-17-11, 10:30 PM   #2711 (permalink)

Yea, I talked to a friend of mine who has a pressure tester, so I'm hoping that would give me a sign. Thanks for the input tho. I'm gunna take a guess and say that I blew something out, because the car just recently went through a head gasket job from the previous owner. So, I possibly did something to help cause whatever is going on right now, OR I just got played and bought a complete bucket. But, do you know anyone who has some spare body parts? I'm looking for a 94 trunk, and a passenger side B pillar cover. I got the car with half a broken pillar. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-11, 09:07 AM   #2712 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrimsonChin View Post
Yea, I talked to a friend of mine who has a pressure tester, so I'm hoping that would give me a sign. Thanks for the input tho. I'm gunna take a guess and say that I blew something out, because the car just recently went through a head gasket job from the previous owner. So, I possibly did something to help cause whatever is going on right now, OR I just got played and bought a complete bucket. But, do you know anyone who has some spare body parts? I'm looking for a 94 trunk, and a passenger side B pillar cover. I got the car with half a broken pillar. Thanks again.
Hi check with ari_one he parted his legend but that was about two years ago. He may still have some odd parts or he may know someone that may be selling theirs. Check time to time in these forums there is someone always parting their legends. Good luck man.

I am going through it myself i may need a headgasket job pretty soon. I have 279900 miles and i guess my headgaskets are overdue. Got the car one owner. There is also a DIY if you like to attempt it yourself. the forum also created a wikipedia for the legends.

This is another place you may find information about your headgasket problem. AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present - Search Results

Let me know whats up ok

92Legendcoupe
Old 07-20-11, 03:34 PM   #2713 (permalink)

cool, thanks man. I'll def keep updated with these pages. Most of everything i do is DIY, my garage is pretty much set-up for jobs from motor swaps to painting. So, i usually have my boys helping me with anything serious. But yea, I'm planning on rockin this Legend factory JDM, i'm gunna be looking for a lot of JDM body parts, so I'll def need these forums. Hopefully someone comes through for me. But yea man, I'll start posting pictures as soon as I get the body back into decent shape. Thanks for all the info. Much Appreciated. Later.
Old 07-24-11, 11:22 PM   #2714 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Legend L

I have a '95 Acura Legend L automatic and it keeps overheating. I just replaced the hose and clamp attached to the bottom of the radiator, but now it randomly leaks coolant from both bottom edges of the radiator randomly and the resivor stays full. The thermostat has always slowly risen to the red line and then immdeatley went back down to the white line, but now it will run fine some trips and others it will overheat after 10 minutes and, when I stop and pop the hood, the coolant leaks out.
Old 07-24-11, 11:23 PM   #2715 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Legend L

My fans also run long after I cut off my engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)