Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 186 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-12, 01:44 AM   #2776 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My thermostat keeps spiking up. It's happens randomly no matter how long I'm driving.
The first time it happen, there was coolant coming out of the pipe on top of the reservoir, but that hasn't happened again yet. Any ideas if this would go away if I replaced that pipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-12, 08:44 AM   #2777 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 2013 VW Passat SE MT
Car 3: 2008 RL Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechnique View Post
My thermostat keeps spiking up. It's happens randomly no matter how long I'm driving.
The first time it happen, there was coolant coming out of the pipe on top of the reservoir, but that hasn't happened again yet. Any ideas if this would go away if I replaced that pipe?
It's not the rubber hose that's causing a problem. Your cooling system has air in it. Perhaps you had the coolant changed awhile back or had some work done on the system so that air was introduced. Of course you also could have a leak in the system. There's a bleeding screw on top of the engine (12mm wrench) to get the air out. How's the level of coolant in the radiator?
Old 02-27-12, 06:43 PM   #2778 (permalink)

If the thermostat doesn't work, does check engine light come on?

Old 02-27-12, 09:30 PM   #2779 (permalink)

Quote:
If the thermostat doesn't work, does check engine light come on?
I don't really know on that question. In my experience, a thermostat can not do its job if it is the wrong spring pressure which is a finction of the temp when it opens and closes. if the thermostat is deteriorated, coolant will flow through regardless of the engine temp. The result will be a low temp gauge reading.

Forgive me if you know all that. Whay did you ask about the thermostat?
Old 02-28-12, 12:21 AM   #2780 (permalink)

I just drained my coolant, replaced thermostat and radiator cap. The cap was leaking. Going for a test drive now.

Edit: Temperature stays okay while driving, but when I stop, it starts going up to H. Going to try bleeding it tomorrow again.

Last edited by ATechnique; 02-28-12 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-28-12, 08:32 AM   #2781 (permalink)

Quote:
I just drained my coolant, replaced thermostat and radiator cap. The cap was leaking. Going for a test drive now.

Edit: Temperature stays okay while driving, but when I stop, it starts going up to H. Going to try bleeding it tomorrow again.
A bad cap certainly doesn't help. Also, are the fans working OK?
Old 02-28-12, 05:04 PM   #2782 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
A bad cap certainly doesn't help. Also, are the fans working OK?
Just bled the system, there wasn't much air in it. The temp started going up after a while. I shut it off close to H. Fans never turned on. =\
I turned on the AC with the car off and the fans didn't come on. I checked the fuses for both fans and they seem to be alright.

Edit: Not sure what to do now. Just a couple days ago, I drove home after the car overheated and when I got out, popped the hood, the fans were working.

Edit2: Both the top and bottom radiator hoses get really hot.

Last edited by ATechnique; 02-28-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 09:06 PM   #2783 (permalink)

Quote:
Just bled the system, there wasn't much air in it. The temp started going up after a while. I shut it off close to H. Fans never turned on. =\
I turned on the AC with the car off and the fans didn't come on. I checked the fuses for both fans and they seem to be alright.

Edit: Not sure what to do now. Just a couple days ago, I drove home after the car overheated and when I got out, popped the hood, the fans were working.

Edit2: Both the top and bottom radiator hoses get really hot.
You wrote :" I turned on the AC with the car off and the fans didn't come on." Did you mean with the engine running? If not, try the ac with the engine running and see if the fans come on as they should.

Also, the thermosensor at the bottom right rear of the radiator is known to fail. But you also could check continuity (the wires) after the part to the fan conntion and make sure they are OK.

Also, did you use an Acura Legend OEM thermostat to replace the old one? We've heard of bad aftermarket thermostats.
Old 02-28-12, 10:56 PM   #2784 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee View Post
You wrote :" I turned on the AC with the car off and the fans didn't come on." Did you mean with the engine running? If not, try the ac with the engine running and see if the fans come on as they should.

Also, the thermosensor at the bottom right rear of the radiator is known to fail. But you also could check continuity (the wires) after the part to the fan conntion and make sure they are OK.

Also, did you use an Acura Legend OEM thermostat to replace the old one? We've heard of bad aftermarket thermostats.
Okay, found the problem with the fans and they seem to be working as they should now. The fan fuse under the dashboard was blown, I replaced it.

I replaced the thermostat with one I bought at O'Reilly's. The one that was in the car looked exactly the same as the new one I put in. It seems like someone already replaced the OEM one. =\
Old 02-29-12, 09:36 AM   #2785 (permalink)

Great, let us know if things don't work out. BTW, these cars have a quite complex coolong system, with 22 hoses and various orings. It's an expense but some of us have replaced all those things after a bunch of miles (120K in my case). If a hose goes, obviously the temp gauge will let you know. But also there is the EGR system which tends to clog up with oil blowby. that apparently leads to overheating at the rear of the engine and may cause a blown head gasket. Both that and cooling system issues can be fatal on these cars.
Old 02-29-12, 05:43 PM   #2786 (permalink)

kenstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz View Post
There's a lot of overheating problems on the 2nd Generation boards right now. The questions should all go in here from now on, so we don't clutter up the board with the same questions over and over. Any new thread that is created will be moved to this thread. This is meant to be a 100% discussion on the overheating problems of the 91-95 Legends. Questions, answers, theories, and anything that pertains to overheating, coolant, water pumps, thermostats, heater cores, radiators, and radiator hoses are permitted. Off topic and other garbage posts will be deleted.

Thanks
MGMT.
i had the BHG replaced at 150k and now i'm @190k and have pressure build up any ideas ???

Last edited by 4HondaOwner; 02-29-12 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 05:46 PM   #2787 (permalink)

had BGH done @150k i'm now @ 190k and have a overheating problem and any ideas out there ????????
Old 02-29-12, 06:28 PM   #2788 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstruction View Post
had BGH done @150k i'm now @ 190k and have a overheating problem and any ideas out there ????????
The "usual suspects" are fans not operating, air left in the system after changing coolant or thermostat or such, and a leak in one or more of the hoses. Can you check those things yourself? Let us know what you find.
Old 03-06-12, 12:08 PM   #2789 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 acura legend

I had a coolant leak and found 1 at the thermostat, I fixed the leak at the housing and now I have came across another leak. This one i can not find, It looks like it comes from somewhere on the left side. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-06-12, 12:14 PM   #2790 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch1551 View Post
I had a coolant leak and found 1 at the thermostat, I fixed the leak at the housing and now I have came across another leak. This one i can not find, It looks like it comes from somewhere on the left side. Anyone have any ideas?
Your leak can be anywhere within the engine compartment.
check all hoses and see if the leak is also coming from under the intake manifold behind the thermostat housing.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)