Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 189 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-12, 08:54 AM   #2821 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend
Car 2: 84 Dodge B150 4x4 Va
Car 3: Honda Civic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HondaOwner View Post
It's past tester time when you are blowing coolant into the overflow bottle. Been there, done that, had the engine rebuilt and then due to real shitty work, replaced it with a JDM Type II engine.

I agree;

The test below that I suggested, is just a conformation. Simply a great tool to help you confirm a BHG. Kinda like, a easy way to help you confirm the BHG before you start ripping it apart test.

I would go get the tester kit below. If coolant is blowing into your overflow and spilling over, get the tester.

UVIEW Combustion Block Leak Test For Gas & Diesel - 560000

It's like $50, so it's cheaper then a shop invoice, and very easy to use. You either lower the coolant about halfway in your radiator and run the engine till it boils over, then run the test from the radiator upper tank. Or run the test straight from the overflow reservoir like I did. (just read the instructions) Just make sure not to run the test if coolant is to high. Sucking in coolant will contaminate the test fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-12, 02:13 PM   #2822 (permalink)
zrg

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend LS

my radiator is always hitting my ac line and had to replace it 3 times because its piercing my radiator why is it doing this? should i just put something in between them to cushion it?
Old 04-29-12, 05:52 PM   #2823 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend L-auto

Seeping head gasket and using additive sealants

Hi,
My 92 legend has had a seeping head gasket for a while, which has been manageable. I don't like the idea of putting an gasket sealant additive into the coolant, but i just needs this car with with 251,000 miles on it to last till november when these ridiculous used car prices fall a bit. 20 yrs of Chicago weather has rusted up this car too much. My question is, would a sealing additive even have a chance of working since it's not coolant going through the seeping head gasket, but pressurized cylinder gas (so would the additive even get into the damaged part). anyways, I know many will say "change the head gasket you dope," but though it has served me well, it's just time to get a new car, so it ain't worth the $1200 or time to do it. Anyway, if someone knows how the sealant works, could you tell me if it will even touch the seeping part. Thanks

Old 05-02-12, 02:38 AM   #2824 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend

Hey everyone Im new here, just got my legend 2-3 months ago, was running fine but lately Ive been noticing the temp gauge has been going almost all the way up. While idling the temp stays fine, but as I drive the temp slowly goes up to Hot. The weird thing is both coolant fans are rigged to run all the time because I cannot figure out why the wont turn on themselfs. (Changed all the senors possible) Even with the fan running it slowly goes to Hot. I bled the system, and tested the water pump, and bought a new thermostat. Although, I never saw steam come through the engine. Also, my Tach, Temp gauge go up before i even start my car. any ideas?
Old 05-02-12, 10:40 PM   #2825 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperndrush1989 View Post
Hey everyone Im new here, just got my legend 2-3 months ago, was running fine but lately Ive been noticing the temp gauge has been going almost all the way up. While idling the temp stays fine, but as I drive the temp slowly goes up to Hot. The weird thing is both coolant fans are rigged to run all the time because I cannot figure out why the wont turn on themselfs. (Changed all the senors possible) Even with the fan running it slowly goes to Hot. I bled the system, and tested the water pump, and bought a new thermostat. Although, I never saw steam come through the engine. Also, my Tach, Temp gauge go up before i even start my car. any ideas?
Did you check the gauge sensor ? Its the only one with a single lead connection.

ALSO FYI READ UP ON THE EGR SYSTEM OR YOU WILL BE SORRY. I WOULD DO IT ASAP, I GOT A BHG A FEW WEEKS AFTER GETTING MY FIRST LEGEND BECAUSE OF THE EGR.
Old 05-03-12, 01:06 AM   #2826 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsilvasr View Post
I have done so much since my last post and shes still blowing coolant in to the overflow.

1) got the magic funnel and burped her for an hour several times. no help
2) replaced thermostat and TW sensor again just ic case one was bad. no help
3) pressure test cooling system, found a minuscule leak on top hose fixed it. test ok
added UV dye to system and ran it for 5 cycles of fans. no signs of dye
4) ran cylinder leakage test. all cylinders with 20 psi was 20% +- 2% and pegged when rotated to TDC.
5) I ran a second test on cylinders but this time I setup pressure tester on radiator with 10 psi to see if it would increase with 30 psi in cylinders. no change
6) running out of ideas so I ordered a UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester. Tester should be in by end of week

I have been thinking maybe the FCU is bad or maybe even water pump. any thoughts ?

The timing belt and water pump was changed at 116k by the previous owner and she is currently at about 160k.

!! I am so confused, don't know what to think anymore !!
It's been a slow process but i'm winning "BHG" it's almost finished.
Old 05-03-12, 01:11 AM   #2827 (permalink)

Quote:
It's been a slow process but i'm winning "BHG" it's almost finished.
Ok I got this heat shield is pissing me off. I think it came from the backside of manifold area but for the life of me I don't remember taking it off. Anyone have a clue ? I can't post a picture until I do 15 posts
Old 05-03-12, 01:19 AM   #2828 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok I got this heat shield is pissing me off. I think it came from the backside of manifold area but for the life of me I don't remember taking it off. Anyone have a clue ? I can't post a picture until I do 15 posts
Ok this is the heat shield, anyone have a picture of where it goes ?

I'm so close I can feel it

Old 05-17-12, 11:58 AM   #2829 (permalink)

Bought a 93 L sedan about 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed fine besides a few things until yesterday. Was sitting in the arbys drivethru idle (not in park) and I noticed steam coming from underneath the hood. Also noticed my heat guage spiked as far up as it could go. Parked the car ASAP and noticed the steam coming from the radiator with a little bubbling going on near the radiator cap as well. Took it Home asap and noticed coolant dripping down on my fans coming from the radiator. Drove it to school this morning after pouring about 2 liters of water into my radiator and noticed that the heat guage spiked again breifly while going up ahill, but subsided back down to the normal 1/2 way level it usually fluxuates around after i got on flat ground again. Most likely going to get my radiator and thermostat replaced I just pray that its not the dreaded BHG. PLease help guys im new to the car world, pretty clueless, and dont have a lot of money to deal with.
Old 05-17-12, 12:39 PM   #2830 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 2013 VW Passat SE MT
Car 3: 2008 RL Grey

Your radiator failure sounds normal. The top part cracks after many miles-it can be hard to see. If you can replace it yourself-not too bad a job, you can save some bucks, especially considering what the dealer part will cost. I and several others here have used Koyo (2x, 2 cars)-they fit really well, and I have seen no problems. Here's their link: http://www.discountautoradiator.com/...al:0)&Ntt=koyo. Let us know if you have questions. I suspect that the procedure is described in the online service manual, or just type radiator replacement in our search at the top of the forum section, first page.
BTW I would not change the thermostat unless I thought it was bad. And be sure to follow the procedure on getting the air out of the system after refilling, otherwise you will have overheating problems, caused by air in the coolant.
Good luck!
Old 05-18-12, 10:46 AM   #2831 (permalink)

Thats great news. But, would my cars heat gauge spike like that if it was just the radiator failing? Feel like its a bigger issue then im hoping for
Old 05-18-12, 03:09 PM   #2832 (permalink)

It does not take much for the temp gauge to spike. The sensor is on top of the engine, behind the bleeder screw. Any steam that reaches that point will drive the gauge up. For instance, I had air in the heater system, and when I turned on the heat, that air became steam and drove the gauge right up. You realize that turning the ac on will turn on both fans and that can cool the radiator somewhat.
Old 05-19-12, 10:46 AM   #2833 (permalink)

Your a lifesaver. Ordering a new rad today. You think it's safe to drive short distances?
Old 05-19-12, 11:43 AM   #2834 (permalink)

I would not drive it if I had any backup car to use. I know you shut it down as quickly as you could, but pressure on the head gaskets is not a good thing. How much, I don't know. That said, when driving it, if you can keep the temp gauge around the middle by using the ac, it should be OK. If the gauge spikes, not good.
Old 05-19-12, 01:49 PM   #2835 (permalink)

It spikes on a few certain hills, and when she idles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)