Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-03, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 LS sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94HOTLGND
i'm having the same problems as Cole Austin. i JUST started doing it tonight. my temp. gauge would show normal temps, (little below half-way). was driving with the heat on, and all of a sudden it went cold and my temp needle went up almost into the RED!!! so i turned off the hot(cold) air, and it went down to normal. then it went back up! i got home, checked my resevoir, and it's fine. i'll check my radiator tomorrow morning. but didnt see or hear any leaks or steam. HELP!!!

tell me what you find out Cole.

david
Advertisement

Old 11-21-03, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
legendary!

Car 1: 1993 acura legend coupe metallic green

Send a message via AIM to legendcoupe93
call me gay, but im starting to get the slight feeling that alot of our cars are getting small leaks here, and there. causing much added pressure in the system, in the end causing BHG, best thing to do is check all ur hoses guys. get down in there with a flash light, jack ur car up and look all around check ur lower dash for leaking coolent, smell ur air comming outta the vents, does it smell like coolent at all? can u smell coolent in ur engine bay? is it leaking anywhere? take it to the shop and spend 70 bucks to get it checked. get a diognostic and maybe even go to more then one place to hvae it checked. i my self dont trust mechanics really, they have always ripped me off. best of luck yall
drew
Vehicle & Vehicular Equipment Mechanic Apprentance
[email protected]
15% black tint
koni/Ground Control
SPC ball joint
Enkei LM1 18"
x-drilled slotted rotors
kenwood 7inch touch flip
alpine type R 10" sub
no name amp 300w
mcCulloch 5000K H.I.D.
bayou chip
new type II
type S door speakers
pioneer 4 way 6x9
Im broke!
Old 11-23-03, 11:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 legend L coupe

i had the overheating problem for a while. So i brought my car to the dealership to see whats wrong. They said my waterpump was leaking out coolant. I got it fixed for $500. Its been 2 months since i did so and everything is working fine.

Old 11-25-03, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to OlympusMons Send a message via Yahoo to OlympusMons
Quote:
Originally posted by legendcoupe93
call me gay, but im starting to get the slight feeling that alot of our cars are getting small leaks here, and there. causing much added pressure in the system, in the end causing BHG, best thing to do is check all ur hoses guys. get down in there with a flash light, jack ur car up and look all around check ur lower dash for leaking coolent, smell ur air comming outta the vents, does it smell like coolent at all? can u smell coolent in ur engine bay? is it leaking anywhere? take it to the shop and spend 70 bucks to get it checked. get a diognostic and maybe even go to more then one place to hvae it checked. i my self dont trust mechanics really, they have always ripped me off. best of luck yall
drew
agreed, its better to spend the couple hundred dollars getting everything checked than to start having problems and end up with 1000$+ in repairs
Old 11-26-03, 02:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Sedan L Charcoal

I got cooling problems. They wont go away! Acura of Spokane put a new thermostat in it. They had it for 3 days and couldn't find the problem; finally they did. It was about 2 weeks ago. I dont drive my Legend much anymore because I am in school, but I drove it for 6 hours today to get home for Thanksgiving. Drove fine unitl I got stopped in traffic in the worst snow conditions ever. Well I was sitting there for about 10 minutes and my temperature started to go up. I got off the road and waited for the car to cool off and then it was fine the rest of the way home. I did some of my own testing and found that my cooling fans are not working at all. But, when I turn the A/C they work and the temp goes right down. At first I thought it was a fuse, but it is good, and the fans work with A/C. Is there a control somewhere that could go bad that works the fans? what would keep the fans from turing on?
Old 11-26-03, 11:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob_Koopmans
90% chance it's a temp sending unit
10% chance it's the fan relay.
Old 11-27-03, 06:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks, is the temp sending unit the one in the bottom of the radiator? I plan to put a new one of those in this evening. I already got the part. Is there a really good trick to getting the air bubbles out?
If that doesn't work can I get the relays from a parts store or do I have to go to Acura?

I will reply with my results later tonight, thanks again
Old 11-27-03, 02:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Coupe-L 5-speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob_Koopmans
I got cooling problems. They wont go away! Acura of Spokane put a new thermostat in it. They had it for 3 days and couldn't find the problem; finally they did. It was about 2 weeks ago. I dont drive my Legend much anymore because I am in school, but I drove it for 6 hours today to get home for Thanksgiving. Drove fine unitl I got stopped in traffic in the worst snow conditions ever. Well I was sitting there for about 10 minutes and my temperature started to go up. I got off the road and waited for the car to cool off and then it was fine the rest of the way home. I did some of my own testing and found that my cooling fans are not working at all. But, when I turn the A/C they work and the temp goes right down. At first I thought it was a fuse, but it is good, and the fans work with A/C. Is there a control somewhere that could go bad that works the fans? what would keep the fans from turing on?

My '91 fan control unit was replaced because of a AC related problem. The AC is working fine since it was replaced.
Sure, this fan control unit control both the AC fan and the radiator fan and it is a common problem. Ask you mechanic to look into this. I was around $150 for the part and quite easy to replace.

-Tat
Old 11-27-03, 07:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

I am going to replace a sensor on the top of the engine on Friday if I can get the part and if that isn't the problem then its got to be that relay. It is the only thing left that could keep the fans from working. My fans work when I turn my AC on so I think that means my relay is good right? It must be that sensor on the top of the engine.
Old 11-30-03, 09:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 coupe 6 SPEED

At first when my car starts overheating cause of the fan not turning on. Even with the AC switch on.I turn the engine off the fans comes on. Then i start messing with the relays like switching them around. Then I ran test to see if the fan worked yet. Now when it start to get hot i turn the engine off. The fan doesn't come on at all anymore. Even after i switch back the relays to normal.
Old 12-02-03, 03:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

Car 1: toyota

If the Legend has problems cooling, why hasn't an aftermarket company redesigned a better system? I am looking for a nice 94-95 Legend GS and would like to estimate the possible expense of ownership. From searching on this list, i found this car has two main problems(do I need to know more?): cooling of the engine and a $1000 service every 90,000 miles(water pump and belt). I noticed a nice set of all weather tires is around $100/tire. Brake pads and rotars are $50/two wheels, $60/wheel. Besides oil/filter, airfilter, sparkplug changes at the correct intervals, I should be set until the car is around 150k. What do you think?
Old 12-02-03, 07:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
One thing you guys have to remember, is that it's really hard to diagnose your car over the net. You guys really need to be taking your cars to a honda/acura tech to have this stuff checked out. There's about 20 different components to the Legend coolant system. Telling you guys to throw parts at it isn't the right way to do it.

Mike Diaz
Old 12-03-03, 03:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Vineyard Grey LS Sedan

I'm experiencing the same symptoms. My car only overheats when the heat is on. Other than that, I can drive all day without it overheating. Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-03, 06:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

Car 1: hmm.......lets see how big this box is. does it end here? nope, guess not, here? damn. this is r

Send a message via AIM to Lost1
most likely something related to your heater core. have your mechanic check that.
Old 12-03-03, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Gold Wannabe Sedan

Send a message via AIM to FBoyCustoms
My legend had an overheating problem for awhile....I would be driving with the heat on... The defroster would go cold and my heat would sky rocket... This happened like 4-5 times... One time i was in the middle of nowhere and it was like -15 out so i drove it quite awhile running pretty hot... Eventually i put a thermostat in it and flushed the coolant and the problem went away (this was like 2 months ago).. Over the past 4-5 weeks.. Ive noticed quite a bit of white smoke on start up.. especially after sitting...The smoke smells kind of like coolant.. i havent noticed any loss of coolant.. But is the white smoke a tell tell HG sign?
1991 Dodge Shadow Es Turbo
Ya thats right .. I said TURBO..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)