Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 40 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-05, 11:28 PM   #586 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am not the creator of this website so no thanks to me.

But since you are here seeking advice I will redirect you to the all the the previous postings on this thread and your answer is there, for sure.

I know that you would like to have a nice pleasent, no money out of pocket, fix for your newly acquired Legend but all of your described symptoms indicate a serious problem with your cooling system.

Is there any recourse for you with the seller or is this purchase a pig in a poke? As is, where is?

Good luck. RAP
Advertisement

Old 04-19-05, 09:49 PM   #587 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

Exclamation

Everytime I see these posts regarding coolant problems it just takes me back to my nightmare. Check out my symptoms https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...D+GASKET+D.I.Y on my head gasket post and see if your having similar problems. I love these cars and they all should be up there in mileage and your HG's are probably going on you. Don't let it ruin your engine. Put your penny's away and get this job done.

One Luv
ICEMAN
Old 04-20-05, 12:41 AM   #588 (permalink)

I get no a/c cool air...i get good heat(real great) but a/c doesn't blow cold air

Old 04-21-05, 08:38 AM   #589 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinskillz
I get no a/c cool air...i get good heat(real great) but a/c doesn't blow cold air
You may have a leak in your a\c system. The 134a refrigerent has probably escaped. Same thing is wrong with my 95GS, however when I tried to charge it I could see and hear it coming out near the condensor sitting in front of the radiator.
Old 04-26-05, 03:06 PM   #590 (permalink)

Weird Overheat Occurance

Well, I was driving my 93 Legend the other day with 163,000 on it when I look down and my temp gauge is all the way to the top, pulling over and opening the hood, i notice that the overflow tank is overflowing, and it is blowing coolant out the top of my brand new metal radiator that I had put in not 8 months prio. The system must have had more than 13 psi to do that! After it cooling off a little bit (temp gauge down a little off H) I was less than a mile from my home so, I drove it, taking off, my temp gauge went to normal operating temp. What up with that? So, i spent 50 bucks and put a new thermostat, and radiator hoses in it (I bought it with 124,000 on it and I don't think that the thermostat or hoses were ever changed). Hasn't given me a moments trouble since, oil looks good I checked it every 50-100 miles after the incident and I just had it changed 500 miles before this happened. So, just because your temp spikes, you may want to check a stuck thermostat that is closed as I think that mine did (obviously some people have already tried that and it didn't work). My car shows no signs of a head gasket leak (no wet smelling exhaust nor consumption of antifreeze and oil still brown as normal oil) After looking at all the posts, I was worried that I had a head gasket problem, but after driving my car now a few hundred miles after it happened, my temp gauge hasn't gone above normal operating temp. I even drove the car up a steep canyon road slow, with the AC blowing full blast and the temp was solid right where it should be. WEIRD!!! NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!
Old 05-01-05, 11:39 PM   #591 (permalink)

i have an off-brand coolant in my 94 legend. i see that was a mistake. will it mess up my car if i have to leave it in a few weeks before getting it flushed and having honda fluid put in?
Old 05-02-05, 01:30 AM   #592 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
Well, I was driving my 93 Legend the other day with 163,000 on it when I look down and my temp gauge is all the way to the top, pulling over and opening the hood, i notice that the overflow tank is overflowing, and it is blowing coolant out the top of my brand new metal radiator that I had put in not 8 months prio. The system must have had more than 13 psi to do that! After it cooling off a little bit (temp gauge down a little off H) I was less than a mile from my home so, I drove it, taking off, my temp gauge went to normal operating temp. What up with that? So, i spent 50 bucks and put a new thermostat, and radiator hoses in it (I bought it with 124,000 on it and I don't think that the thermostat or hoses were ever changed). Hasn't given me a moments trouble since, oil looks good I checked it every 50-100 miles after the incident and I just had it changed 500 miles before this happened. So, just because your temp spikes, you may want to check a stuck thermostat that is closed as I think that mine did (obviously some people have already tried that and it didn't work). My car shows no signs of a head gasket leak (no wet smelling exhaust nor consumption of antifreeze and oil still brown as normal oil) After looking at all the posts, I was worried that I had a head gasket problem, but after driving my car now a few hundred miles after it happened, my temp gauge hasn't gone above normal operating temp. I even drove the car up a steep canyon road slow, with the AC blowing full blast and the temp was solid right where it should be. WEIRD!!! NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!

Bad Head Gasket. Mine does the same thing, your problems will multiply within a few months. I learned the hard way that these cars don't have sudden gasket failures but usually occur over a long time.
Old 05-03-05, 08:29 AM   #593 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

I believe that the radiator cap for this car is rated at 16 psi.

You could do a simple test of your removed thermostat by taking it, cold, and dipping it in hot water and see if it opens. The service manual has the procedure for this check. People change those thing like their underwear hoping for a cheap fix for an overheating problem.

Usually the pressure build-up in the cooling system causing an overflow of coolent is caused by the pistons pumping air into the cooling system through a BHG or cracked head.

However you could be in luck, and if so, you should head immediately to Vagas and parley that lucky streak into some additional winnings!!!

RAP
Old 05-03-05, 04:45 PM   #594 (permalink)

After driving my car for about 1,000 miles now, i havn't had one problem with the temperature being over normal operating temp. I have driven it long and hard, but to no avail, no problems have arised. I think that the thermostat was origional, I had never replaced it, nor had the person who owned the car before me (one owner only). The car as stated before has 164,000 miles on it (now, it had 163 when it happened).
Old 05-10-05, 11:27 PM   #595 (permalink)
Moh

I also have an over-heat problem; I changed the thermostat, water pump and time belt, radiator, fan sensor, and the head sensor. I still have this problem and my heat gage goes to the red zone and goes back all the time. I tried to make the fans work all the time when the car is running, for a couple of days it worked perfect but I received the same problem again. I found out that the upper hose is extremely hot and the bottom hose is cool and the car started running quite hot. I need your advice so that I can get this problem solved. I would appreciate any ideas that would help me solve the hot/cold hose problem. I read some articles that suggest that I should change the head gasket but I didnít find any oil in the coolant and vise versa. I talked to my mechanic about that and he suggested that I donít need to replace the head gasket but didnít apply me with the solution.

Thank you very much
Old 05-11-05, 11:12 AM   #596 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You have a blown/seeping head gasket. You have replaced eveything in the system except the headgasket. It's the only thing left in the system. A leaking head gasket in the Legend will not produce the "oil in the coolant" like most engines because it is a tiny leak that only allows air to leak from the combustion chamber into the cooling system.
Read my other posts on this subject for more info.
overheating 101
my BHG story
Old 05-11-05, 05:09 PM   #597 (permalink)

I got coolant in my oil.
Old 05-12-05, 10:34 AM   #598 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
How long have you been driving it in this overheating condition? The more you operate it the worse it will get and you will end up with coolant in the oil. If you address it early you can usually just replace the headgaskets. If you let it go too long you will need a new engine.

Last edited by Jetdoc; 05-12-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 06:29 PM   #599 (permalink)

You mean coolant in the oil? If the overheating I've been experiencing thats progressed over the past two years was a BHG the whole time, then that might explain it.
Old 05-14-05, 01:01 AM   #600 (permalink)

Would a speratic overheat be a BHG? I Thought it would be consistently overheating, mine very seldom, wants to blow coolant into the overflow until the overflow fills up. All I do is, when it is cool, I pour the Overflow tank antifreeze into the radiator, warm it up, and bleed it. I go about a few hundred miles before it goes up a little (a pint or so) and do it again, doesn't overheat in hot weather in TX (90 degrees and 80% humiditity) with the AC blowing full blast. Sometimes I check it, and it doesn't move, sometimes I check it and it has completly filled the overflow. Weird? Or is it still a BHG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)