Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 55 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-05, 05:48 PM   #811 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks All

I poured over the Overheating Threads till midnight last night reading the horror stories. I've had the car 10 months and it's worked flawlessly all that time. but now it's got the bulging upper hose, fluctuating hot to cold, no apparent leaks, white smoke when I rev'd past 3000K. Hot upper Hose, cold lower hose. Have bled it numerous times, checked everything that everyone else has, rad cap, etc. 5K ago when I bought it, I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, etc. as a precaution. Updated the AC and compressor.......
In my case, I'm trading her in. I hope to get $2000 in real value toward the trade. It's ashame. These are great cars, but unfortunately I don't have the time to mess with it and am in the middle of a move. Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-05, 05:50 PM   #812 (permalink)
dealer-opted track pack

Car 1: ka8
Car 2: chevro-legs

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippr94legend
I poured over the Overheating Threads till midnight last night reading the horror stories. I've had the car 10 months and it's worked flawlessly all that time. but now it's got the bulging upper hose, fluctuating hot to cold, no apparent leaks, white smoke when I rev'd past 3000K. Hot upper Hose, cold lower hose. Have bled it numerous times, checked everything that everyone else has, rad cap, etc. 5K ago when I bought it, I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, etc. as a precaution. Updated the AC and compressor.......
In my case, I'm trading her in. I hope to get $2000 in real value toward the trade. It's ashame. These are great cars, but unfortunately I don't have the time to mess with it and am in the middle of a move. Thanks for the replies.
Good luck with your next car.
Old 10-12-05, 05:59 PM   #813 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
If your lower hose is hot and the top isn't it might be a thermostat sticking. 30 dollar fix. Try that before you sell the car.

Old 10-12-05, 11:51 PM   #814 (permalink)

Quote:

Unfortunately, those are the signs of a BHG. If you keep getting air in the sys, its being forced in from the BHG, the bulging top hose and cold bottom rad. hose means the air and coolant is bypassing the radiator and going straight into the overflow tank. It could have overheated before you bought it, you are now seeing the deterioration of your head gasket, most likely because of the heads warping from the initial overheating. Get over the denial, its time to face the music.

BHGGUY

DIY....Everything!
Old 10-13-05, 12:12 AM   #815 (permalink)

I don't have the paitence of go over every last post of these 12 pages, but from what I did read no one described my current recurring issue. Now I'm by no means a car person, so there maybe something simple for me to check over that the coolent, but then again that's why I'm here, to delve into the knowledge and experience of other owners.

The car's temp gauge displays a normal engine temp during highway and uninterrupted street driving. However, when the can is sitting at idle or low engine speeds the temp gauge rises to the top. Once I get going again the temp gauge begins to fall back to a normal operating position.

I'm confused.

It would seem the engine, or at least the thermastat, does not get the coolent it needs while at idle, but the correct levels while running. I don't get it.
Old 10-13-05, 11:51 AM   #816 (permalink)
MrCocky

Car 1: 92 LS Coupe Black, Black Dodge Charger

Send a message via AIM to Taliban
White smoke from the muffler

SOmetimes I see white smoke coming from the muffler, what does that mean? Yesterday I noticed my car reving up and I didn't hit the gas. Can someone tell me what I need to do.
Old 10-13-05, 01:02 PM   #817 (permalink)

Browse the thread and you'll find out.
Old 10-14-05, 01:22 PM   #818 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred
From personal experience and that of others compression checks are a waste of time on our engines. The minor fracture in the gasket isn't enough to lower compression beyond the test boundaries. The only way to tell is a leak down or Hydrocarbon test.
perhaps but in my case i had a tiny leak in head gasket and compression test found 2 cylinders running on low so i guess it works for some of us
Old 10-15-05, 01:51 PM   #819 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfuzzion
perhaps but in my case i had a tiny leak in head gasket and compression test found 2 cylinders running on low so i guess it works for some of us

Honestly chances are its from other reasons. The way our gaskets break and the fact that its usually one cylinder leaking, then you're either a rare exception or whoever did the tests messed up. Either way its easiest to simply do a hydrocarbon test and get the results the first time.
Old 10-16-05, 08:23 PM   #820 (permalink)

Quote:
Honestly chances are its from other reasons. The way our gaskets break and the fact that its usually one cylinder leaking, then you're either a rare exception or whoever did the tests messed up. Either way its easiest to simply do a hydrocarbon test and get the results the first time.
what is hydrocarbon test anyway just out of curiousity and how much does it cost to do
Old 10-17-05, 12:42 AM   #821 (permalink)

Chemical test to detect the presence of hydrocarbons in the antifreeze. Hydrocarbons being present is a sign that exhaust gases are escaping into the cooling system and causing the air bubbles. Mine was 75 bucks.
Old 10-17-05, 10:58 AM   #822 (permalink)

Quote:
Chemical test to detect the presence of hydrocarbons in the antifreeze. Hydrocarbons being present is a sign that exhaust gases are escaping into the cooling system and causing the air bubbles. Mine was 75 bucks.
pricey son of a aint it ok thnks will keep it in mind in case happens
Old 10-20-05, 01:00 PM   #823 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS Sedan
Car 2: 1997 Integra LS

Steady leak at left rear corner of motor...

92 LS sedan - automatic

Just wondering if anyone knew of a common problem where water leaks in this area? The leak has slowly gotten worse over time. Now will run out steady when the motor is running. With the car off, removing the rad cap will cause a steady fast drip at this location and putting the cap back on will stop the drip due to vacumn.

The leak drips off the left rear corner of the motor just above the rack and pinion. I've tried with mirrors to determine where it's coming from, but no luck. Anyone have any best guesses? Are there freeze plugs in the block that might be leaking? I sure hope not. The car does not smoke and no oil in water or water in oil. Thanks! Pat
Old 10-20-05, 02:20 PM   #824 (permalink)

Could be the heater hose that connects to the left cylinder head thats leaking.
Old 10-20-05, 02:40 PM   #825 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
My Legend just started overheating !!! ... at first I noticed it was 3/4 but that was after I raced and gunned the enigne for a little while so I thought it was ok. After that it was fine for a few days, was about 1/3. Now I just drove around for about an hour and a half, no racing, just city driving and I parked and noticed it was on the last line right before the redline... What can the problem be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)