Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 9 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-04, 12:34 AM   #121 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
In the winter i notice that the needle is almost perfectly level after running for a while. In the summer, it seems to be a verrrry little bit lower...usually at the mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-04, 02:21 AM   #122 (permalink)
P*mp!

Car 1: 91' Vineyard Grey Metallic Sedan

Send a message via AIM to WicKeD LeGEnD
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaTheLegend
In the winter i notice that the needle is almost perfectly level after running for a while. In the summer, it seems to be a verrrry little bit lower...usually at the mark.

man,...what it all boils down to in the end is the HeadGasket....I had no signs,...It began same as you,...with no heat sometimes,....and temp spikes occasionally....it WILL progressivly get worse....I guarantee you....here is what will happen,....

1. *****HARD STARTING.....if it takes for ever to crank in the morning...most likely,...coolant is sitting @ the bottom of the cylinder...preventing the plugs from firing,....******
2. No heat,......occasional temp spikes......everything seems ok,....
3. radiator top hose begins to build pressure,...slightly at first.....
4. pressure begins to increase more and more,.....
5. (i never got here).....full blown headgasket leak causing anti-freeze and oil to burn off together......
6. Spittin antifreeze outta the exhaust.....

the thing that sucks,...is that....the pressure tests/leakdown tests will not prove a headgasket until the problem is almost evident,....cannot predict the early stages,......

best thing to do,...tear her down,....inspect it yourself......

I was shocked to see what was going on when I took her apart...ahh well.....

Mods:
OEM 4300K HID's (Philips)
GS Rims/ Wrapped in Toyo Proxes Tires
Custom Red Tinted Tails
2 Rockford Fosgate HE2 10's (1 Blown, Looking for Replacement, got one?, shoot me a PM)
1 Rockford Fosgate Amp (4 x 150W)
Alpine IVA-C801 Indash Multimedia Station
Alpine ERA-G320 Sound Processor
Alpine V-Power MRP-F240 4 Channel AMP
Pioneer Speakers All Around
Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 DVD/MP3/TV Tuner
Old 02-16-04, 12:53 PM   #123 (permalink)
Cole Austin

I was doing some searching, and found these threads that are very helpfull with Water Pump Information. Just thought they should be added to this thread.

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ght=Water+Pump
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ght=Water+Pump

Old 02-16-04, 12:58 PM   #124 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by WicKeD LeGEnD
man,...what it all boils down to in the end is the HeadGasket....I had no signs,...It began same as you,...with no heat sometimes,....and temp spikes occasionally....it WILL progressivly get worse....I guarantee you....here is what will happen,....

1. *****HARD STARTING.....if it takes for ever to crank in the morning...most likely,...coolant is sitting @ the bottom of the cylinder...preventing the plugs from firing,....******
2. No heat,......occasional temp spikes......everything seems ok,....
3. radiator top hose begins to build pressure,...slightly at first.....
4. pressure begins to increase more and more,.....
5. (i never got here).....full blown headgasket leak causing anti-freeze and oil to burn off together......
6. Spittin antifreeze outta the exhaust.....

the thing that sucks,...is that....the pressure tests/leakdown tests will not prove a headgasket until the problem is almost evident,....cannot predict the early stages,......

best thing to do,...tear her down,....inspect it yourself......

I was shocked to see what was going on when I took her apart...ahh well.....
Add to that list:
7) Oil in the radiator overflow tank
8) Coolant in engine oil
9) White coolant resedu (or liquid coolant) on spark plugs

That is a very informative list!

Old 02-20-04, 03:38 AM   #125 (permalink)

Got the Ac back in shape. This time I'll watch my speed carefully along with how I drive the car. The harder I push her, the more she asks for money!!! But every now and then I'll jump down on her and creep up to 85mph
Old 02-20-04, 05:07 AM   #126 (permalink)
P*mp!

Car 1: 91' Vineyard Grey Metallic Sedan

Send a message via AIM to WicKeD LeGEnD
Quote:
Originally posted by Pass You By
Got the Ac back in shape. This time I'll watch my speed carefully along with how I drive the car. The harder I push her, the more she asks for money!!! But every now and then I'll jump down on her and creep up to 85mph

I hear ya man,....<---REbuilt tranny & Headgasket.... .....but she still see's redline evvvvveryyy week,..... and sometimes every day

Mods:
OEM 4300K HID's (Philips)
GS Rims/ Wrapped in Toyo Proxes Tires
Custom Red Tinted Tails
2 Rockford Fosgate HE2 10's (1 Blown, Looking for Replacement, got one?, shoot me a PM)
1 Rockford Fosgate Amp (4 x 150W)
Alpine IVA-C801 Indash Multimedia Station
Alpine ERA-G320 Sound Processor
Alpine V-Power MRP-F240 4 Channel AMP
Pioneer Speakers All Around
Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 DVD/MP3/TV Tuner
Old 02-20-04, 05:10 AM   #127 (permalink)

Wicked, I have the same color car as you do and plan to post picks when I get my GS rims. Then I'm gonna try out the MDX shifter mod and try to keep it close to stock with only a few tweeks to it. Keep up the good work and look!!!
Old 02-20-04, 05:28 AM   #128 (permalink)

Well...... It's time to concede that my wife's car has a BHG. So.... next week, my buddy will tear into it. I just need this car to be trouble free for another 2-3 years..... then I can get her something else.
Old 02-20-04, 11:57 PM   #129 (permalink)

ya i got tested for BHG disease and came out negitive. still overheats tho wuts up with that? i had 3 small coolent hose leaks and got it fixed, refilled with coolent and still messin up.i think ill try the rad cap but i juts replaced it!
ah i hate this car
Old 02-21-04, 03:31 AM   #130 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I posted quite a while back about symptoms that I thought were related to a blown or seeping head gasket.
My symptoms were excessive coolant system pressure, overflowing reservior, and overheating shortly after using any amount of power. I nursed this car along for about a year this way. If I didn't get on it too much and bled the system every 3 days or so, the car was fine. I even drove it round trip to Florida from Ohio. Get on it hard even once and it would spew a bunch of coolant out the overflow and start to heat up. I did a number of tests to determine what was wrong, including having hte coolant analyzed and pressurizing the cylinders with compressed air, and nothing indicated a blown head gasket. But because of the excessive coolant system pressure I finally became convinced that the HG was bad.
I finally got around to doing the job a while back. When I took the heads off, the #6 cylinder, combustion chamber and valves all looked steam cleaned. The gasket in that are was much more degraded than in other places. In addition, this was the only cylinder that had lower compression test numbers (only about 10-15 psi lower). All the others were dead on the same. After I did the job, I performed another compression test and that cylinder came up to what the others were.
The car has been back on the road for about 1 1/2 months with no problems.
One thing I saw when doing the job was that there was corrosion/erosion on the fire deck surface of the cylinder liners. This is the surface that the gasket seals between the cylinder combustion and the cooling system. If this are is damaged too much I could see a new head gasket not holding up. Lacking any better method, I used JB Weld to fill the moderate cavities and then sanded it smooth with a long sanding block.
I used Fel-Pro gaskets, which are visually identical to the high buck Acura ones.
Old 02-21-04, 03:34 AM   #131 (permalink)

Don't give up on your car just yet, Do a few more test coupe93 and you might have overlooked something. If you don't have a blown head gasket then it could be that your water pump is defective.
Old 02-21-04, 04:12 AM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by legendcoupe93
ya i got tested for BHG disease and came out negitive. still overheats tho wuts up with that? i had 3 small coolent hose leaks and got it fixed, refilled with coolent and still messin up.i think ill try the rad cap but i juts replaced it!
ah i hate this car
Dude, i feel your pain. ! What kind of test did you have to check the BHG?

Monday I am bringing it to the stealership for oil and to check out my overheating. I will post monday night.

One thing i am going to check is what JIMV said about getting on it and then seeing if it overheats. Now that i think about it, the heat defintely cuts off after going around corners. HOWEVER, you obviously have to accelerate after the corner.....hmmmm

My advice to everyone is do your own tests and gradually eliminate possibilities...but if all else fails, take a deep breath and just pay the "pennies" to a pro.
Old 02-21-04, 05:12 AM   #133 (permalink)

Angela you got a slick lookin Legend
Old 02-21-04, 07:47 AM   #134 (permalink)

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by 67GTONUT
Well...... It's time to concede that my wife's car has a BHG. So.... next week, my buddy will tear into it. I just need this car to be trouble free for another 2-3 years..... then I can get her something else.
Well..... this is gonna be the total.....$275 for Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set, $300 to deck the heads and do a valve job, and about $800 Labor.... not too bad.....then 2-3 years from now..... this car is GONE!!!!!
Old 02-21-04, 09:11 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pass You By
Angela you got a slick lookin Legend
thanks but i hope i dont after i find out how much this will cost me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)