Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 91 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-06, 04:52 PM   #1351 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
also the temp guages are reading fine, but sometimes i puddles on the ground, seems to leak after i park the car.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-07, 02:38 PM   #1352 (permalink)

Hello there. This site is great. I'm a lttle confused on how to begin a new post so I'll try my problem here 1st. 1991 Acura Legend. Cold start high idles for about 30 second (which is ok) then the idle begins to fluctuate rapidly between (approx) 1000/2000 rpm. It will continue to do this when the engine warms up. Eventually the engine begins to overheat but the radiator fan never comes on. If I put the car in gear the idle drops and maintains a steady idle of 900 rpm. Any ideas?

Best Regards,
Perry
Old 01-03-07, 01:21 PM   #1353 (permalink)
Pre**y Boy

Car 1: 94 legend LS 4Dr

I know it will be a long process, but read all the pages of this post. There is a ton of great information. You for sure have air in you cooling system. It can get in there many different ways:

-Bad radiator gasket
-Bad Head Gasket or seaping head gasket
-Coolant leak from a hose or radiator
-Pin hole in one of the coolant lines that leaks very little fluid, but lets just enough air in to screw up the system.
-Possible bad water pump
-Possible Heater core problem
-Possible thermostat problem

It could be any number of things because our cars have so many parts to the coolant system, and if something goes bad the whole car freaks out. Your car is most likely not "truely" overheating. Air gets trapped in the system and makes the thermostat read hot. Once the air buble gets moved through the system a little, the temp will come down to normal. But it will rise again once the air works it's way around or more air gets in. Eventually the coolant overflow bottle will overflow if there is enough back pressure.

My car is in the shop right now too, and they are trying to figure out where the air is getting in. Is passes the pressure tests, and all. They are doing the chemical test today to test for hydrocarbons. Another sign of a bad head gasket if the test picks up hydrocarbons.

My advise.....take it to a shop and just let them do it. Bleeding the air out of our systems is tricky, and I think best left to the pros. Of course only deal with a Honda shop, or the dealer. Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-07, 03:50 PM   #1354 (permalink)
fa2blk

Car 1: fa2blk

my baby is overheating

when i crank up my engine, after running the car for 15 min the needle gos to its normal position. once at the normal level the engine starts reving by itself from high to low. does this mean i have air in the system ? also once it starts reving from high to low, the needle starts heading for the overheating level. i had the water pump and timing belt done about 3 months ago, due to the water pump going out on me and overheating on the highway. i had a local shop do the water pump and the timing belt. now my car is overheating again and reving high to low when idling in park position. i need some expert advice before i flip out on the mechanic because i paid alot of cash.

SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING BEFORE I GO LOCO ON THIS DUDE !
Old 01-04-07, 03:50 PM   #1355 (permalink)
Pre**y Boy

Read through any of these pages, and refer to my post right above yours. It needs to be tested properly for leaks and possible head gasket issues. The air needs to be bled properly with the heater on when bleeding. Most "regular shops" don't do it properly. Our cars cooling system is unique. I would say you definately have air in the system.
Old 01-04-07, 05:07 PM   #1356 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend

hey guys,
i found the problem in my car it was a bad water pump
anyways thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-07, 07:06 PM   #1357 (permalink)

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to Acura and this site.

My thermostat needs changed, but I don't know which hose it is that I need to find the bad thermostat. I checked one out, and the only other option is under the throttle. Is that one the correct hose? Thanks, and sorry for sounding like a dipshit! I've changed 100's in other cars (mostly mustangs). Eric
Old 01-08-07, 02:20 PM   #1358 (permalink)

Please no BHG…but she has the symptoms. I recently bought a 92 LS on Craig’s list. I have very little mechanical ability, so I usually just look it over and then take it to a dealer for a full inspection. I saw this one and it was beautiful (no accidents, spotless interior, and receipts for very time the car was ever touched), however it did have 180,000 miles. I figured it was a Honda, and thus the mileage was not too bad (the water pump and timing belt had been done twice as expected).

The inspection showed a few issues, but nothing I thought was too serious. There was a CV joint that was leaking and the antenna was not working right. The inspector also noted that there was a small pin leak in one of the radiator hoses, and too much coolant in the overflow. The owner told me that it had overheated a little a while back so he had the system flushed, and they might have overfilled it (I believed him). The next morning I go out to start it and it does the idle jumping routine I’ve read about on here, followed by a weak heater flow. My wife proceeds to freak out (the heater is the most important component on a car to her)! It runs like a dream and has only done the idle jumping when started cold.

I googled the issue and ended up on this web forum. There has not been any sign of oil in the coolant (although it was recently flushed) and the level has not dropped of in any noticeable degree. The oil is clean (also recently changed), and I can’t tell if the exhaust is any different. I drove her hard for an hour in traffic the day I brought her home and the heat worked and there was no sign of the temp gauge moving beyond the normal position (about 4 o’clock). I have not seen any coolant in the passenger compartment.

I know it’s impossible to say for sure based on my limited description, but I’ve got a feeling I’ve been had (really sucks as I am uber poor and still in school). Is it possible that air in the cooling system from the leaking hose could be the culprit? I’m taking it to an Acura mechanic (one the car has been to before) tomorrow to have the CV joint done, is there anything I should tell him to look for? I had it inspected to look out for just such an event, but I get the feeling they were not too through at the dealership. If this were your car, how would you proceed?

(Thanks for any and all help )
Old 01-08-07, 07:05 PM   #1359 (permalink)

BTW…this has to be the most demoralizing thread on the board.
Old 01-09-07, 05:46 PM   #1360 (permalink)
Pre**y Boy

Keep your head up. Just when I thought there was no hope left, I have maybe found some light. I had my independant honda shop replace the thermostat, upper and lower hoses, reseal the rear juction behind the block, new radiator cap, and rebleed the system making sure the car was at an incline and the ther heater on full blast for the bleed. So far so good. The last time it took about 2 weeks for air to work back into the system. So we'll see. 5 days good so far.
Old 01-12-07, 04:24 AM   #1361 (permalink)

Exclamation I am in the same spot right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Austin View Post
I replaced my thermostat yesterday, and I can't tell if it solved my problems yet. When I drove the car this morning the temp gauge never spiked, but the heat was still not blowing hot air consistently (sometimes blowing super hot air and other times blowing coldish air). I've had problems with air getting into the system and I have bled the air out several times.

I guess my question is if anybody has ever had problems of air in the cooling system, and non-consistent heat, did replacing the thermostat fix these problems?? Or do I have a bigger problem with my water pump/radiator/HG/heater core?
DONT DO IT i have had the thermostat, waterpump, and heatercore. now i have a cracked radiator. !!! Is this most likely BHG?!!!
P.s. Is it easier to replace the motor or fix it and hope it doesn't happen again?
Old 01-12-07, 12:57 PM   #1362 (permalink)
Rebuilding :(

Car 1: 95 Black L Coupe, Stromung Exhaust
Car 2: Diamond Audio
Car 3: ATL LEGENDS!

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smokinfastlegend Send a message via Yahoo to Smokinfastlegend
ok i think i should post this here. Many know my dad and i just went and picked up a legend from vegas with a possible BHG. All test reveal the engine doesnt have a head gasket problem, but here is what is freaky. The car has heat , but when the temp guage spikes there is no heat coming out of the vents. Any ideas?

44732-s87-a00 <- part number
Old 01-12-07, 08:39 PM   #1363 (permalink)
A murder of Scarecrows Champion, Just Not Cricket Champion

Car 1: ITR 00-106
Car 2: 95 FZJ 80

iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kenso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinfastlegend View Post
ok i think i should post this here. Many know my dad and i just went and picked up a legend from vegas with a possible BHG. All test reveal the engine doesnt have a head gasket problem, but here is what is freaky. The car has heat , but when the temp guage spikes there is no heat coming out of the vents. Any ideas?
Air building up in the system from the sound of it. You guys probably already had it looked at by now anyway...

For the rest of the trip home I'd carry a 12mm wrench to open the bleeder and a couple spare gallons of coolant. If you stop every so often to bleed the air out and refill the radiator you should do ok.
Old 01-13-07, 12:06 AM   #1364 (permalink)

hey i just picked up a 95 legend LS with 155k. it has no signs of overheating or anything like that, but its on its original head gasket. i was wondering what kind of preventive maitenance i should do to make sure it stays this way?? any way to visually check for problems in the engine bay? i dont get the air problem in the vents or anything. anything will help
thanks
Old 01-13-07, 01:33 PM   #1365 (permalink)

someone shold make a list of preventive maitenance things one should do after buying a new legend

ie

1. replace the 3 hoses
2. flush system?

iono what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)