G2 Legend Stereo FAQ - Page 10 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics

Audio, Video, & Electronics Discussions about Car audio and electronics.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-07, 10:42 PM   #136 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I appologize for my nievete on these questions but...

The majority of the posts here seem to be about "How-To", but mine is more of a "wheather or not"

I have (soon) a 95 L and will be replacing the head unit with the one from my old car http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...684&tab=review

My question is, could (size) and should I also replace the factory speakers? The speakers I have from my old car are these http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kFhPtXZ...x?I=500SPS170A and http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JTW0CKy...x?I=130TSA1671
Are the Bose Standard speakers better than either of these? Keep them or swap them out?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by pakinamacindabackofdaak; 12-25-07 at 03:12 PM.
pakinamacindabackofdaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-07, 09:36 PM   #137 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
The 95L stock stereo runs at 4ohm so yes, you can install your Alpine without problem (I have the same unit in my car althought I do push aftermarket speakers).

I would try setting the system up w/o your aftermarket speakers first... the Bose should sound decent and frankly, i never cared much for the Alpine S line or Pioneer's gear...

Also, the stock speaker configuration is an oversized component 6.5" up front w/ a rather uncommon tweeter size and mount (I think... my 6.5"s surely didn't fit: I had to build brackets) and components on the rear deck (6x9 woofers + small custom - again, read: strange - sized tweeters) so best case scenario (even w/ building mounting brackets) only one pair of your 6.5" coaxials is going to fit. Remember: if you do decide to wire your 6.5"s in, disconnect both the stock woofer AND the tweeters or the circuit won't be running a 4ohm resistance and may damage your head unit.

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 09:54 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antik View Post
The 95L stock stereo runs at 4ohm so yes, you can install your Alpine without problem (I have the same unit in my car althought I do push aftermarket speakers).

I would try setting the system up w/o your aftermarket speakers first... the Bose should sound decent and frankly, i never cared much for the Alpine S line or Pioneer's gear...

Also, the stock speaker configuration is an oversized component 6.5" up front w/ a rather uncommon tweeter size and mount (I think... my 6.5"s surely didn't fit: I had to build brackets) and components on the rear deck (6x9 woofers + small custom - again, read: strange - sized tweeters) so best case scenario (even w/ building mounting brackets) only one pair of your 6.5" coaxials is going to fit. Remember: if you do decide to wire your 6.5"s in, disconnect both the stock woofer AND the tweeters or the circuit won't be running a 4ohm resistance and may damage your head unit.
Antik your a BEAST in these forums! No, seriously thanks for your canid feedback (despite running aftermarket). I am going to with the stock Bose speakers for now, that is until I get my money up enough to steal your audio setup.
pakinamacindabackofdaak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-07, 12:44 PM   #139 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 legend

snaking a cd changer cable to the trunk

Any tips or guides on the easiest way to run a cable from my 91 head unit to the trunk? Just bought an Alpine CHM-s601 changer, and the prewired Acura cable is missing the #3 and #7 pins (I guess the 91 Acura changer didn't need those?). So I'm running a new Alpine cable to the trunk. (I already did the #2-->#4 modification on the 601).
Thanks for your help!
McSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 09:49 AM   #140 (permalink)

fantastic and useful stuffs!!!
Old 10-27-08, 12:38 AM   #141 (permalink)

Car 1: !993 Acura Legend Sedan

Acura Radio Question

I just bought a 93 Legend that some one had installed a Panasonic Multi Channel in dash colour TV/DVD Receiver in . I got the car for a song because it was sitting idle for a year and a half and some one broke in and stole the dash unit . The hide away unit is still in the trunk with a Kenwood 10 disc CD/DVD changer and a 1500 watt power amp and motorcycle battery . All are still wired up but inoperable with out the dash unit . The installers of this stuff hacked up the factory wiring pretty bad . Instead of splicing things neatly they just cut away like butchers . Consequently there are a few things that don't work on the vehicle . Like the cruise control , courtesy lights and horn . The security system is also out . They installed an aftermarket security system with equal butchering and it doesn't work either . Other than that the car runs like a dream and is in great shape .
My question is about restoring the original sound system and wiring . I don't need 1500 watts and would be quite happy with a factory system that allowed the other defunct functions of the car to work .
I bought an Acura AM/FM cassette and CD player from a junk yard and was wondering if that unit requires an amp unit or is self contained ? If so , do I need the exact amp from the car it came from or can I use the 1500 watt one in my car ? The Acura unit is from a 95 Integra but fits into my dash perfectly ( I got tired of looking at that big hole ). I also found the original 93factory unit with only a cassette player in it . My local dealer supplies me with the security codes as long as I show him a receipt for the units . I know that the original unit has it's amp attached to it . It is a 2200 Bose unit . Will either of these units work if they are not connected to the factory security system in case I find that it has been removed ?
I don't need much more than to be able to listen to some music and a few ball games from time to time to be happy so exotic systems are of no interest to me . If I can't use the 95 unit with the CD player in it , I will be content to play my mp3 player through the cassette deck via an adapter .
Any comments from my fellow Legend owners would be much appreciated .
Cheers ,
gtrguru
gtrguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 03:51 PM   #142 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend L Sedan

I have a 93 Legend L sedan and all the speakers in my car seem to be blown out (not sure how that happened, just bought it). I have the standard Bose system it looks like.. I just ordered some Apline Type R 6x9s for the trunk and was wondering about the ins and outs of installing them. Does anyone know what kind of RMS output the factory bose amp gives? I see 80 watt peak, but what is that RMS?

Also, this could be a stupid question, but could I route all the power from the amp to the two 6x9 speakers? Like if there are four channels, could I combine them into two for twice the power in each channel? I don't have any replacements for the front speakers and would like to give all the power to the two 6x9s that I ordered because they can definately handle it. I ordered pretty good speakers because I plan on getting an amp and sub further down the road and get a high-end system going. Thanks for the help.
ZBelden00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 06:22 PM   #143 (permalink)
has left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBelden00 View Post
I have a 93 Legend L sedan and all the speakers in my car seem to be blown out (not sure how that happened, just bought it). I have the standard Bose system it looks like.. I just ordered some Apline Type R 6x9s for the trunk and was wondering about the ins and outs of installing them. Does anyone know what kind of RMS output the factory bose amp gives? I see 80 watt peak, but what is that RMS?

Also, this could be a stupid question, but could I route all the power from the amp to the two 6x9 speakers? Like if there are four channels, could I combine them into two for twice the power in each channel? I don't have any replacements for the front speakers and would like to give all the power to the two 6x9s that I ordered because they can definately handle it. I ordered pretty good speakers because I plan on getting an amp and sub further down the road and get a high-end system going. Thanks for the help.
Issues like this can stand being in their own new thread. Welcome to the board.

You're kinda doing that a little backwards: order FRONT speakers first and replace the rear fill speakers after the woofer if you're still not happy with the sound for some reason.

Merging 4 channels into 2 is called bridging. I don't believe the factory amp supports it.

If all 4 speakers blew out at once, the odds are much higher that the amplifier or head unit is to blame than the speakers themselves. Unless you're getting sounds to the speakers there and it just sounds awful, prepare yourself for the fact that your speakers may arrive and your system still will not play.

Old 04-15-09, 01:12 AM   #144 (permalink)
GS/LS Conversion

Car 1: 1995 L Sedan
Car 2: 1995 Ls Coupe

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
The tweeters are a non-standard size and there are no known direct-fit replacements.
^^^^^^^^

What to do? My rear deck tweeters are blown. What tweeters do you guy's have for replacements?
Old 04-15-09, 08:18 AM   #145 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Brand new head unit on Ebay.

eBay Motors: 91-95 ACURA LEGEND LS/GS FACTORY BOSE RADIO UNIT. NEW!! (item 130300177227 end time Apr-21-09 13:36:48 PDT)
Old 04-15-09, 08:51 AM   #146 (permalink)
has left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle359 View Post
The tweeters are a non-standard size and there are no known direct-fit replacements.
^^^^^^^^

What to do? My rear deck tweeters are blown. What tweeters do you guy's have for replacements?
I advise you create a new thread here in the audio section

The only thing that's gonna be easy to deal with are OEMs from the same system. Is this in your L or LS?

In the meantime, I'd say disconnect them (there are quick connections that I believe you can get to from the trunk) and see if you like the sound. I don't expect the change in resistance to be large enough to upset your amplifier (but a word of CYA for me: I can't make promises that it won't!) SQ shouldn't be affected much. Honestly, my vote is that if disconnecting them doesn't throw your sound too far out of balance, leave 'em disconnected and forget about them!

Old 04-16-09, 02:04 PM   #147 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antik View Post
Issues like this can stand being in their own new thread. Welcome to the board.

You're kinda doing that a little backwards: order FRONT speakers first and replace the rear fill speakers after the woofer if you're still not happy with the sound for some reason.

Merging 4 channels into 2 is called bridging. I don't believe the factory amp supports it.

If all 4 speakers blew out at once, the odds are much higher that the amplifier or head unit is to blame than the speakers themselves. Unless you're getting sounds to the speakers there and it just sounds awful, prepare yourself for the fact that your speakers may arrive and your system still will not play.
Yes the reason why I didn't order the 6.5s for the front first was because a friend of mine is selling me used type r's pretty cheap. Otherwise I would have ordered them first. I'm also interested in replacing the headunit with an aftermarket. I understand I have to then replace all the wiring to the amp if I go that route so I would probably just replace the amp as well to get a little mroe power to the speakers. Is there a post on here that I may not have seen that details how to 1, replace the headunit, 2, replace the wiring from the HU to the amp to the speakers, and 3, replace the amp. Thanks!
ZBelden00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 07:54 PM   #148 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend

Radio Code??

Hey i have a 1991 legends ls and there is a code you need to make the radio work.
now i bought the car used and unfortunatly the man i bought it from did not know the code. i was wondering if any of ya'll could look up the code for me.
i have the serial number and all the paper work for the car if you need it.
this would be an awesome favor so pleaaase help me out.

thanks,
kevin
kemilla67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:48 AM   #149 (permalink)
Pearl Black Legend

Car 1: 91 Legend coupe
Car 2: 96 TL (sold)
Car 3: 92 accord (sold)

Send a message via AIM to trav4517 Send a message via Skype™ to trav4517
The problem i am having is that.
last night my radio and Clock had cut out at the same time. But i noticed if i connect the radio power wire (red) and the memory wire (yellow) they work but of course i loose all presets and clock memory every time i turn the car off. Its almost as i lost all memory in my car. Can anybody help me?
trav4517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:58 AM   #150 (permalink)
sap

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan AT
Car 2: 93 L Coupe 6MT :(
Car 3: 86 Camaro IROC Z

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemilla67 View Post
Hey i have a 1991 legends ls and there is a code you need to make the radio work.
now i bought the car used and unfortunatly the man i bought it from did not know the code. i was wondering if any of ya'll could look up the code for me.
i have the serial number and all the paper work for the car if you need it.
this would be an awesome favor so pleaaase help me out.
You should be able to get the code from the dealership if you've got your VIN and the serial # from the radio (assuming the head unit hasn't been swapped ...).

Visit the Legend Wiki
sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics