G2 Legend Stereo FAQ - Page 7 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics

Audio, Video, & Electronics Discussions about Car audio and electronics.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-06, 11:11 AM   #91 (permalink)
Call me Mister

Car 1: 94 LS sedan

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayankee
Thanks for the work put into the stereo FAQ! Nice job! But I, with only basic wiring of stereos experience, have a question about the 2200 unit in my wife's 92 L model. The speakers have progressively died, and now the radio produces only a loud hum. I am assuming from reading posts over the years that the amp is the problem. Does your writeup on bypassing the Bose amp apply to our "standard" system? Or is our amp integrated with the head unit? If I can bypass the amp, what kind of connectors are needed-just flat blades? Thanks, Dave
Your headunit has an internal amp- the bypass issue doesn't apply.
Since the factory paper cone speakers have come to the end of their service life and need replacing, I would start there. You can use standard aftermarket (4 ohm) speakers.
If that doesn't solve the problem, it will be time to repair/replace the factory HU or swap out for an aftermarket unit. There are adapter plugs that make it easy to hook up an aftermarket HU should you choose that route.

URL=http://imageshack.us]<a href=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1095/wallpaperyb6.jpg target=_blank>http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1095/wallpaperyb6.jpg</a>[/URL]
G Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-06, 10:28 AM   #92 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 1994 Legend L White
Car 3: 2008 RL Grey

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info! I'll check on those adapter plugs you mentioned. Dave
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 12:59 PM   #93 (permalink)

ok i know i have the 2100 series stereo in a 92 legend but not sure of model yet, i havent picked the car up yet, so im not familiar with the car yet... the tape deck doesnt say premium on it either... i got kind of confused with the whole FAQ on the stereo, but i think im starting to understand it. Main question is, on the 2100 stereo bose non-premium with the 2ohm loads per speaker, what is the best way to replace the factory head unit... my front two speakers are gone and im assuming it is a faulty factory amp and not the speakers... so would i have to also replace all the speakers, headunit and bypass the amp? how would i bypass the amp? thanks....

*edit* i think i pretty much figured it out, LOL just needed to do a little more reading, so i basically just take wires that run into the amp and connect it to the wires that are on the other side of the amp, just color match? and once i replace the headunit, i will have to replace the speakers also right? thanks in advance
92LegendFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-06, 07:09 PM   #94 (permalink)

i put in a dvd head unit into my 92 acura legend. wen i turn the volume up the display gets brighter and dimmer. is there anyone who can help me out on this one?? thanks.
yroc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 05:46 PM   #95 (permalink)

How do you remove the rear deck to access the rear speakers? I spent a few minutes in the trunk trying to figure it out and came up with nothing. The manual says "remove grills" but they don't seem to want to come off either. Any sugestions?

Last edited by templecrasher; 11-09-06 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling > me
templecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 07:45 PM   #96 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 1994 Legend L White
Car 3: 2008 RL Grey

On our '92 L model, the rear speakers' grille are hel in place by 4 "tongues" 2 in front and 2 in back. Slide a putty knife (maybe cover the blade with electrical tape to be safe) along the very small gap and you will find those plastic tongues. If you press one of those tongues inward you will see more gap appear, and do likewise with the other tongues. On the amplifier, are you sure there is one on your car? Our L model, with Bose 2200, has the amp in the stereo unit itself, nothing at the rear seat area. I just pulled that unit out and replaced it with a Pioneer from Crutchfield. No damage done along the way, but figuring out the proper installation pieces to use took time.
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-06, 12:47 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc View Post
There are four different stereo systems that came in the different Legend trims.
1991-1995 L ------- Standard Bose
1993-1995 LS ------ Bose Premium
1994-1995 GS ------ Bose Premium
1995 SE ------------ Bose Premium

Standard Bose
The Standard Bose system includes the 2200 model AM/FM/Cassette deck, ...

Bose*
The Bose system uses the 2100 model AM/FM/Cassette tuner and an 80Wx4 (peak power) amplifier mounted behind the rear seat.

Bose Premium*
The Bose Premium system includes a 2100 AM/FM/Cassette tuner with “Premium” printed on the cassette slot and a 200Wx4 (peak power) amplifier mounted behind the rear seat.
Hi Alex et al,

I've owned my 95 SE since 98 and this is the first time I've visited this forum. I was in search for a way to repair my Bose amp that is now making horrible loud noise. From my previous experience with Bose systems, I am quite sure that it is the amp that is my problem.

According to the model of my stereo, it is a 2200, which means that it is a standard stereo and not the premium version. Just thought that you may find it useful.

Secondly, I'd like to find out how to remove the amp. According to other website, it is located below the head unit.

TIA for your help!
GreenSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-06, 01:58 PM   #98 (permalink)
Call me Mister

Car 1: 94 LS sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSE View Post

According to the model of my stereo, it is a 2200, which means that it is a standard stereo and not the premium version. Just thought that you may find it useful.

Secondly, I'd like to find out how to remove the amp. According to other website, it is located below the head unit.
Unless your car is an L model that has been modified to look like an SE or the stereo was swapped out for the lower line factory standard BOSE system, it came from the factory equipped with the factory BOSE Premium system, with the amp located behind the rear seatback.

Removal instructions here...
http://ww2.legendtuner.com:8080/LEGE...ifier/amp.html

URL=http://imageshack.us]<a href=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1095/wallpaperyb6.jpg target=_blank>http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1095/wallpaperyb6.jpg</a>[/URL]
G Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-06, 04:39 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Rahn View Post
Unless your car is an L model that has been modified to look like an SE or the stereo was swapped out for the lower line factory standard BOSE system, it came from the factory equipped with the factory BOSE Premium system, with the amp located behind the rear seatback.

Removal instructions here...
http://ww2.legendtuner.com:8080/LEGE...ifier/amp.html
Thanks for the quick reply G! The removal process is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm fairly sure that it is a factory SE. I purchased the car from an elderly gent. when the car had only 16k miles. So I find it hard to believe that he had changed the stereo.

I'll go home and remove the back seat to see if it has an amp there, but the stereo is for sure a model 2200.

You've been a great help. Thanks!
GreenSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 10:43 AM   #100 (permalink)

Hey Folks,

Great thread!

I will be replacing my speakers (finally) on my 03 LS Coupe. I was going with the Kappas 6x9s and 6.5s - 3 ways - 2 ohms, keep the amp and head unit. It seems like this route is the lease trouble but should improve the quality of sound a lot. Correct? Does anyone have this setup? How does this sound?

My CD changer just went out.
I picked up a Mbus adaptor for my iPod. I am debating whether or not to replace the CD changer with the iPod or to purchase a new changer. They are very reasonable $90 (used) - $150 (new). I don’t think the quality of the iPod sound will be the same as a CD BUT we’re in a car…Will I be able to hear the difference? Does anyone have either of these setup? How does this sound?

Is there a Mbus splitter? Something where I can have 2 sources and toggle back and forth from CD to iPOD?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
6speedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 05:06 PM   #101 (permalink)

AMP verification 95 L Coupe

I have a 95 Coupe L (Type II) with OEM Bose system -- which has an amp behind ls rear seat. It can be accessed, and removed, btw, w/o removing rear seat; rather just gently move rear panel.

Problem: how can you verify if amp is working correctly....I changed out OEM head unit with OEM unit (92 4-dr unit), due to dimming radio read-out, and loud hum. Everything works but not strong power -- need lots of vol., and appears amp not working...?

Ron In Ottawa, Canada
xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:25 AM   #102 (permalink)

im jst trying to find a few replacement speakers for my 92 LS

i looked online on bose and couldnt find them i dont think you can order them online.. and is there any cheaper place i can get them ??
daniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 04:09 AM   #103 (permalink)

hey i just read your diagram and saw a cd cable - i was told by ma boy at work that u can have a caset player but a 6cd changer in the trunk can i do dat cuz he told me i culd get on in the junk yard fo cheep - is so wat cd changer can i get and is it posible to do that in ma car i got a legend 91 ls 4dr i think is LS or L lol.....
kako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 11:19 AM   #104 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kako View Post
hey i just read your diagram and saw a cd cable - i was told by ma boy at work that u can have a caset player but a 6cd changer in the trunk can i do dat cuz he told me i culd get on in the junk yard fo cheep - is so wat cd changer can i get and is it posible to do that in ma car i got a legend 91 ls 4dr i think is LS or L lol.....
Welcome to the forum. While you've got some free time, read the forum rules.

Also, read the thread that you're posting in as it answers your question.

Quote:
Pre-wired CD Changer This plug should already be connected to the back of your OEM deck, it runs all the way to the trunk. You can plug in any Alpine M-bus 6 disc CD changer, or you can use an adapter to connect an Ai-net 6 disc changer. You'll also need an Acura-Alpine adapter if you're adding a non-honda/acura changer to correct a difference in the cable's pinout. There is also an excellent DIY for making your own Custom Acura-Alpine adapter
The wire in question is on the driver's side of your trunk. Should be somewhere below the black plastic sleeve (the CD changer will slide into this sleeve for a solid, vertical mount).

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 12:24 AM   #105 (permalink)

need help on taking out a factor deck. i bought a 92 legend. i dont know what model it is but thing is a pain in the butt to take out. am i supose to remove the whole frame of the center to get it out? i tired but broke a nail. would someone help me out because im about to just yank that thing out with a crow bar.
legend_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics