Acura Legend Forum banner

My review: '93 Maxima vs. G1 Legend

7K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  maracura91 
#1 ·
First a little background on my Legend: 1990 5-Speed Sedan, base model. I've owed the car for about 4 years, got it with 150k miles, now has about 230k miles. I decided to get rid of the legend after a clutch issue along with various other issues.

I just bought a '93 Maxima SE 5-Speed and figured I'd give a bit of a review of the two cars.

The fit/finish of the legend is better, and it has more features such as rear map lights, lighted visor mirrors etc. Seats in the legend are more comfortable, but the maxima seats are more supportive.
The maxima in stock form handles better than the legend did stock, although the ride is harsher. I put eibach springs/tokico struts on the legend, and I think even with the upgraded suspension the maxima still feels better in the corners than the legend did.
The Legend had better top end rush of power, but the maxima has much more low end power and its power band seems much more flat the legend was. The maxima has 190hp so it does feel a little quicker.
Overall the maxima is a bit more towards the sporty side, while the legend was a bit more on the luxury side.

The legend was a great car and I will miss it, but I am happy with the maxima as a daily driver for right now.

See less See more
#6 ·
G1 legend and 3rd gen maxima does compare well though. when you look at the numbers (2.7= 161hp) (3.0 160hp) thats the VG engine. they look pretty similar in size and in weight. performance statistics are pretty similar.

but ya, i understand how 2g and maxima would compare well too.

#7 ·
Pretty much everything you said there goes for the 4th gen Maxima vs. the 2nd gen Legend too. Max has more low end, legend more high end, max handles better, legend has better fit/finish quality, etc. I have both and I like both equally.

#10 ·
shurgs?
i had own both a g2 and now currently own a 4gen max
personally i think both cars ride the same
the interiror of the legend was alot better
and the max seem to handle a little better on the corner
good car
nice chose for my first two car ever ehh? =)

#11 ·
acura type r said:
shurgs?
i had own both a g2 and now currently own a 4gen max
personally i think both cars ride the same
the interiror of the legend was alot better
and the max seem to handle a little better on the corner
good car
nice chose for my first two car ever ehh? =)
heh this is very off topic.. but hey were u high when u typed that? haha

shurgs
on the corner
nice chose
alot
interiror
first two car ever

i'm just messin buddy.... unless u really where high or drunk :p

:D

#15 ·
i was looking for a 3g maxima when my legend was down.
i found a se auto with the 190hp engine.

it was "loaded".
but it did'nt have the features my ls did...like info center for one.

it was young too, onwer took care of it.

so came the test drive...i wasnt impressed.
well when i took off slowly i was like: damn the low end is good (so i figured the high end whould kick also)
but it did'nt, not like how the legend did.

then you could feel the vibrations when stopped.
turning corners...not like the legend

it....just did'nt give me that feeling, ya know

#16 ·
I had a 94 SE with 5 speed. Yes it was fast. Handling is not a plus on maximas. They are ok but always feel spongy. Not a big fan of the VTC ticking noise either. Shifting was pretty good. I had a magnaflow exhaust and K&N air intake.

#17 ·
I also had an 89 SE maxima blk/blk 5-speed, man i loved that car, black beauty was her name. other than the legend the Maxima is my favorite car. the handling was shitty, it bounced too much and on hard turns the rear end tended to get loose.

But a Maxima in any year had a fast take off. And that was the only car i've ever owner that the engine turned over as soon as I turned the key.

BTW the maxima was a RWD from 84 back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.