2008 M5 Goes Airborne off AirStrip - Kills 5 Kids - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about news, life, etc!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-08, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports
3 Wheel Slot Machine Champion

Car 1: Blackend Motorsports
Car 2: 1995 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blackend Send a message via Yahoo to Blackend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin4acoupe View Post
I got chills reading through his last posts talking about how to make it shift better because when he was at 140 with the throttle pegged, it was kinda rough. Apparently, he posted right before they got into the wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94legendcpe View Post
Already have my son's first car scoped out and ready to purchase...

Its a 1972 pea-green Ford Pinto.

When I turned 16, my father gave me a WS-6 Trans AM. Needless to say, I had it for less than 6 months, had 4 tickets (3 speeding, 1 laying drag) and finally on Halloween I took her square down the middle of an oak tree trying to pass some elderly people on a corner. I don't blame him for buying it for me, some extenuating circumstances likely contributed.

I learned the hard way, just like so many before and after me. But the key is that I learned, and I'm still alive to teach what I've learned to my son.
Pinto FTL. You take a 10 mph "tap" in the back of them and the gas tank will explode into flames. I would rather give my kids a car that exploded if hit in the front than the rear because seems like if they hit something it's their fault, but that Pinto could blow up because some dumb broad was talking on her cell phone and didn't realize she was supposed to stop there...

We're all lucky at some point, or we're dead. I totalled my first car 3 months after I paid for 1/3 of it.

1978 Pontiac Catalina 4 Door FTW! You can smack that think off a guardrail or two and never feel it! Ask me how I know that!

Old 01-28-08, 07:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Sad sad sad....the parents have also sadly opened themselves up to immense liability...they will be suffering emotionally and financially for years to come
Old 01-28-08, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Chopper Challenge Champion

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Damn, this really is sad

But for those of you saying how you'd never let a young guy have a car with some power as his first car, and to give him a beater powered by 3 hamsters humping each other, it really depends on what kind of person he is. I mean my first car was my GS, and i can safely say i haven't had the desire to peg the speedo just because it has a little bit of power. It's definitely no M5, but all young guys aren't exactly speed crazed idiots...
Banana! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 07:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
because i can.

Im thinking the M5 Boards have exploded because I cannot view the kid's posts...
Old 01-28-08, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Anyone want to find the old SNL Adobe car skit? All this talk has me remembering "molding" the crumple zones... ahhh I miss the old SNL
94legendcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 10:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
ON DAT WAVE

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LuxuryPerformanceSedan
Car 2: 97 BMW 528I
Car 3: 99 Montero Sport

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
i feel bad for the familys, especally the parents cuz you cant really blame them for getting him that car, who didnt want their parents to get them a really nice car n hey they had money i guess but im sure they didnt expect him too be driving the way he was im sure they trusted him to be smart and responsible with it and it sad that he wasnt an also he wasnt alone
Team LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 11:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: dc2
Car 2: 91 legend> sold

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zodiac_00
hey me and that kid is the same age.when we are young we tend to have the need to speed almost all the time, to stop speed on the streets it's a learnin process. my first car is my current legend but the most i ever been in it was 120 not bad but i think speeding is some thing u take to the track and now and then the streets, but it's a total diffierent feeling on the streets it feels good and u think ur the man. but my dream car is this baby right below with 600 to 900 awhp. i hope that kid family is ok and my heart goes out to them and the passengers family.

Old 01-29-08, 01:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
because i can.

Holy shit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5DAL from M5Boards
My only bit of advice matey - If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news.
Old 01-29-08, 01:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: .......

Im actually glad My tach only goes to 140.
Yeah I wish I had an M5... But I too Would probably be dead...
and umm, he probably figured out how to take off the stability control, because how else do you lose control on a wide open air strip? he turned it of and made a slight turn or was Bsing with one of his friends while driving fast and ended up losing it.
Dummy. atleast he was respectful to the fourm members... but then again when your a rich kid you don't have a care in the world.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 01:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Eerie.

~Dv8
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 02:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: .......

I wonder how they find air strips to ride on, cause the private one I see are too short for top end runs and public there is no access. I be looking tho.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 02:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by samblaze View Post
^^^ Yea I was wondering about that too^^^ Although I don't suppose his friends were there involuntarily. FWIW I gather they were on an airstrip and not a public street? At least they didn't take out any innocent bystanders/drivers/pedestrians.
yeah, after google earthing it, it seems that jumbolair aviation is actually the name of the neighborhood. they have a long stretch of road in teh neighborhood, but there are plenty of houses all around it. houses with HUGE yards.

the video of the cop explaining the whole wreck was worse than reading the reports and thread. he explained how they were traveling so fast that they actually flew into the tree...

google earth>florida>jumbolair aviation (comes up with jumbolair estates) > big long black road i believe is what they are referring to...

the end of the video is most grim:

"after we identify the kids, we will inform the parents that 5 kids will not be coming home today."
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 02:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
damn, what a waste.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 03:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

http://www.jumbolair.com/
It is the longest private runway in the country. 1.5 miles I believe. It was supposed to be secure but it was not and apperently the kids would hang out there. Just like we used to hang out at places we were not supposed to. My guess is that the driver was confused and thought he entered the runway at the end but actually entered in the middle.This happens in aircraft accidents frequently. He thought he had the full length to travel but in reality only half. Being night and low visibility he couldn't see the end coming up at 100+ mph. One golden rule I preach to my son is "never drive faster than you can see". Private runway lighting is activated by the VHF radio of the approaching aircraft. Clicking the mic a certain number of times selects the intensity. I'm sure the runway was dark.
From what I can tell the kids were top notch good kids. Just doing what kids do. They simply made a tragic mistake.
Old 01-29-08, 04:05 AM   #30 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 LS Sedan
Car 2: 90 Camry DX

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
It's sad. RIP to the kids. I don't know why the parents gave the kid the keys though. Bad judgement I suppose. My parents would never do that. In fact, my Legend is faster than both of their cars and I still dont get to drive it because theres a reason I have my own car. I f**k up, I pay for it. My fault.

It's another reminder that spirited driving is extremely dangerous. Although the adrenaline rush gained by it is so much fun, death is not. I like to drive spirited... thats just the gamble I take because im 19 and its in my DNA as a19 year old male to get my fix of speeding. But i recognize thats my decision and my risk to take. And i will never, EVER, do any of that stuff with other passengers in the car. I care about the safety of others way too much to even think about that. Stay safe folks
IAmLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge