2008 M5 Goes Airborne off AirStrip - Kills 5 Kids - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about news, life, etc!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-08, 04:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Battle! Champion, Big Uglies Champion

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
While yes, in retrospect it is certainly easy to say "We shouldn't have ever given him the keys," don't you think every parent wants to have faith in and trust their child enough to be a safe driver? I agree though, that parents who know that they can't put that trust in their child should keep that shit under control.

As for the armor plated car... Kids would be way more prone to buying motorcycles or dare I say Vespas.
murderotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-08, 04:20 AM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: CL-S (Daily Driver)
Car 2: ObsidianBlack KA8

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Socol
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5DAL from M5Boards
My only bit of advice matey - If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news.
Fate is not without a sense of irony.

Socol's Basic Website
Socol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 04:21 AM   #33 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 LS Sedan
Car 2: 90 Camry DX

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Yeah I agree it all depends on the kid. Some kids earn the respect of their parents and parents have to trust their kids at some point. As much as I want to think the kid earned the respect his parents gave to him, I dont think he appreciated it enough to fight off his temptations to take it racing and instead return it home in one piece.

It woulda been nice if the kid just got a ticket or something to scare reality into him a little bit but that doesnt happen all the time unfortunately.
IAmLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 04:25 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmLegend View Post
It woulda been nice if the kid just got a ticket or something to scare reality into him a little bit but that doesnt happen all the time unfortunately.
I feel like tickets are ineffective these days... oh wait, they are.
Parents expect their child(ren) to get at least one ticket, and that expectation effectively makes it allowable, though discouraged.
I honestly don't believe in speeding tickets (or traffic cops in general for that matter) except in extreme cases where serious danger is imminent.
Old 01-29-08, 06:28 AM   #35 (permalink)

Car 1: dc2
Car 2: 91 legend> sold

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zodiac_00
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeRay View Post
yeah, after google earthing it, it seems that jumbolair aviation is actually the name of the neighborhood. they have a long stretch of road in teh neighborhood, but there are plenty of houses all around it. houses with HUGE yards.

the video of the cop explaining the whole wreck was worse than reading the reports and thread. he explained how they were traveling so fast that they actually flew into the tree...

google earth>florida>jumbolair aviation (comes up with jumbolair estates) > big long black road i believe is what they are referring to...

the end of the video is most grim:

"after we identify the kids, we will inform the parents that 5 kids will not be coming home today."
damn that crazy they where in the air. he must of not know the area,cause he did not know when the strip ended?
Old 01-29-08, 06:52 AM   #36 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
moved to lounge...

That is terrible. I guess they were trying to be responsible by not racing on the highway, but did not take into consideration that the road does end on an airstrip (commercial). If they were on a military airstrip they may have been able to see it coming much sooner. That is terrible...RIP
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 08:54 AM   #37 (permalink)
ON DAT WAVE

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LuxuryPerformanceSedan
Car 2: 97 BMW 528I
Car 3: 99 Montero Sport

[QUOTE=murderotica;1207062]While yes, in retrospect it is certainly easy to say "We shouldn't have ever given him the keys," don't you think every parent wants to have faith in and trust their child enough to be a safe driver?

i feel the same way, the fact that it was his decision and im sure his parents trusted him enough 2 get him a brand new ad be safe with it, cuz tell da truth who really knows about theyfamily life, maybe he was a good kid that happed t do something few stupid things and it cost him him an his friends lifez
Team LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to bandoni™
this is why when your child becomes of age to drive you make them pay for there first car. giving a kid with little to no driving experience a 500hp sports car is like giving them a loaded weapon. the kid had no respect and no sense of value for the car, his life, his passenger lives or the lives of the drivers that shared the road with him. to him the car was easily replaceable because if he broke it mommy and daddy would just buy him a new one. i am sure all of us can remember being that age and have that feeling of invincibility. this was a recipe for destruction the moment the parents handed the key on a silver platter. such foolishness, its a shame people had to lose there lives because of such stupidity of all parties involved.

sig by doubleglow the sigwhisperer
ƃuıʇsod ǝɹoɟǝq ɥɔɹɐǝs plnoɥs sɹǝsn ʍǝu

join the acura legend flickr group

visit my flickr page
bandoni™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:51 AM   #39 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
^^

So damn eerie how he was posting about his car 12hrs before he died...in my opinion it was a lapse in responsibility on the parents part...he already had a stable of expensive cars, why give him an M5, that car was meant to be driven responsibly by someone who respected its power, not an 18 year old that looked at it like a shiny new toy...its so sad though...kind of reminded me when Hulk Hogans son totaled his custom Supra not too long ago...some people just don't know the value of money and life...hell i paid under 4K for my Legend but I value the hell out of it because it was my hard earned cash.
rsubibi241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 10:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac_00 View Post
damn that crazy they where in the air. he must of not know the area,cause he did not know when the strip ended?
he knew the area, im fairly sure this IS or is really close to their neighborhood (at least one of the boys).

convo could've been, driver: alright, where do i go to your house from here?
passenger: how fast did you say you could get this?
driver: i've been 140
Passenger: BS, prove it
Driver: not now, its too late and cops will be lurking on the freeway
Passenger: I know of this private airstrip, it gets very little traffic
Driver: alright, but just one run, then we all go home

it said they were A) coming home from a party, and B) they were at jacksonville university. the one obituary (kinda) thing i read on the newspaper was one of the kids came from a christian high school and a great football player who happened to get injured and was red shirted anyways. his injury ended his career before it began. they all sound like good kids who just happened to push the limits one too many times. the driver might've been the only sober one, seeing as he was driving and i believe they were responsible. but when i wrecked my car, it was late after a party, and although i was sober, exhaustion is just as bad as drinking.

502 motorsports, the road they were on was the airstrip, they knew it to begin with i believe. he figured that jets get some massive speed on that, so it would be good for him too. like someone else said, the lights are activated by a plane coming in, so as not to be on all the time. the probably wasnt paying as close attention to what he should have, when he realized he was coming to the end of the strip, slammed on the brakes and lost complete control. imagine how fast you had to be going to not only leave some skid marks where you slammed on the brakes, but got air and flew 200ft (67 yards of a football field) before having your car split in 2.

and the car WAS his dad's. seeing as the kid went to a party, he probably borrowed it for the night, im sure he's done it on multiple occassions, but i dont think this was HIS daily driver. i think he had the 5series he talks about on the forum and the M5 was for play. dont you think the dad is already accusing himself? he has nobody else to blame this on, not another car to say they did something, and not someone else driving, just him (cause he wont blame his son).

the only problem with the entire situation is that the kid pushed the car one too many times. he had gotten away with driving it fast too many times before (apparently) so he had one more run and wasnt so lucky. and tickets dont do as much anymore. most tickets will be for 10-15 mph over the speed limit so most parents just dismiss that. if you are going 140 mph on the road and you pass a cop either going the opposite direction or at a stop, he has 0 chance of catching you. he can call ahead, but you are so far gone. even if he was going the speed limit on a freeway (70-80) to accelerate another 60-70 mph is tough, and again you will be long gone. im sure he bragged to his dad about going that fast, and im sure his dad bragged to him, and that is where the kid got the idea that what he was doing was ok.
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 06:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoni View Post
this is why when your child becomes of age to drive you make them pay for there first car. giving a kid with little to no driving experience a 500hp sports car is like giving them a loaded weapon. the kid had no respect and no sense of value for the car, his life, his passenger lives or the lives of the drivers that shared the road with him. to him the car was easily replaceable because if he broke it mommy and daddy would just buy him a new one. i am sure all of us can remember being that age and have that feeling of invincibility. this was a recipe for destruction the moment the parents handed the key on a silver platter. such foolishness, its a shame people had to lose there lives because of such stupidity of all parties involved.
Fer shoooo. I had to buy my car and I'd never even think of doing something stupid like that. =/
Old 01-29-08, 06:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: .......

U guys type too much and, think lots more bouts dead people.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:14 PM   #43 (permalink)
ON DAT WAVE

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LuxuryPerformanceSedan
Car 2: 97 BMW 528I
Car 3: 99 Montero Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSINESSMAN07 View Post
U guys type too much and, think lots more bouts dead people.

not so much thinkin bout them cuz i never knew them aswell as many people on this form its more feeling sorry for them and dey family
Team LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend

wow, who buys there kid a car like that? i wish my parents bought me something like that, but i like my legend. haha
91satanslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:38 PM   #45 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend

oh, are there any pics of this car after it smashed into a million pieces?
91satanslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge