How was your day? - Page 8 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about news, life, etc!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-09, 01:45 AM   #106 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ouch man...!.

here's your fix:

1: wire brush from walmart
2: little higher than med grit sand paper, 1 piece
3: lil carb cleaner

4: jb weld

it'll hold. just make sure it sticks nicely to the surrounding metal and give it a... **1/8th inch thickness over the hole** ...then to really protect the seal... throw on some black rustoleum making sure the rest of the pan is cleaned with the carbcleaner... overspray slightly.... then if you're really paranoid, which it'll hold... throw on some black gloss that extends past the rustoleum. it'll hold for at least 6 months.

it held an outer brake pad onto my caliper arm, in colorado, for a year n a half.
dblanehopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-09, 01:50 AM   #107 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Accord Coupe 92
Car 2: Mitsubishi Eclipse95
Car 3: Acura legend coupe

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanehopr View Post
ouch man...!.

here's your fix:

1: wire brush from walmart
2: little higher than med grit sand paper, 1 piece
3: lil carb cleaner

4: jb weld

it'll hold. just make sure it sticks nicely to the surrounding metal and give it a... **1/8th inch thickness over the hole** ...then to really protect the seal... throw on some black rustoleum making sure the rest of the pan is cleaned with the carbcleaner... overspray slightly.... then if you're really paranoid, which it'll hold... throw on some black gloss that extends past the rustoleum. it'll hold for at least 6 months.

it held an outer brake pad onto my caliper arm, in colorado, for a year n a half.
kool.. cause the pan cost like almost $500 at the dealer online. Wasn't gonna buy it tho,,,

H3 bulb. $6
legend coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 01:56 AM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend coupe View Post
kool.. cause the pan cost like almost $500 at the dealer online. Wasn't gonna buy it tho,,,
you want to make sure it's bonding to the metal itself... that's the reason for the paint... you need to scrape the oil pan with a wirebrush and sand it down to the metal directly next to the hole... then give yourself some extra sanded metal to smooth the jb weld out... leaving extra bare metal won't hurt.... the rustoleum and overcoat.

might wanna check if you need to bend it out first though by taking it off.... that means a gasket. ..and you want the hole to be as flush as possible... the less space the jbweld is covering, the less chance that the oilside of the bond isn't flaky and some of it comes off into the engine... it's not metallic... no magnet will catch it... it'll have to burn or break. ;]

i'm kinda wanting to revert that statement about jbweld on an oilpan... but ifyou need that pan to last you a month.... it shouldn't eff nothin up.

but you have to allow the 24 hour cure time... and you have to vary that with the outside temperature. and it has to be sanded properly and bonded properly. just use common sense with it... ya know the better you feel about the bond and the cure time/temp... the better it'll last until you get another pan.

Last edited by dblanehopr; 01-29-09 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 02:06 AM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanehopr View Post
you want to make sure it's bonding to the metal itself... that's the reason for the paint... you need to scrape the oil pan with a wirebrush and sand it down to the metal directly next to the hole... then give yourself some extra sanded metal to smooth the jb weld out... leaving extra bare metal won't hurt.... the rustoleum and overcoat.

might wanna check if you need to bend it out first though by taking it off.... that means a gasket. ..and you want the hole to be as flush as possible... the less space the jbweld is covering, the less chance that the oilside of the bond isn't flaky and some of it comes off into the engine... it's not metallic... no magnet will catch it... it'll have to burn or break. ;]

i'm kinda wanting to revert that statement about jbweld on an oilpan... but ifyou need that pan to last you a month.... it shouldn't eff nothin up.

but you have to allow the 24 hour cure time... and you have to vary that with the outside temperature. and it has to be sanded properly and bonded properly. just use common sense with it... ya know the better you feel about the bond and the cure time/temp... the better it'll last until you get another pan.
kool . i'll check that out tomorrow. hopefully its the hose that carries the oil from the gear-box to the radiator

So how was your day?

H3 bulb. $6
Old 01-29-09, 02:20 AM   #110 (permalink)

pretty good...

ran around in the legend all day playin on the last bit of ice left. ;] kickin up some dust with the sand all over town. got what i needed, and started a sidejob... took me nearly 2 hours to remove the crank pully bolt from a 91 Wrangler. buddy's dad's payin me to change the timing gears and chain.. gaskets. tinkering.

and about an hour ago i finished off a 40 and... some other grn stf. ;]
Old 01-29-09, 12:18 PM   #111 (permalink)
is this real life?

Car 1: Pearl White '91 LS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Yesterday was just a constant string of misfortunes for me. and it all started with a morning email about a small cut in my pay. I just knew from that point forward what to expect that day..

- surf the a-l forums for the first time in a while to find out a fellow active member has sadly passed away.
- pet snake got loose in my apt. (not easy to find)
- lost stylus to my PDA
- drove over an hour in the worst snow storm of 09 to the Acura dealership to pick up a part from reception (that is preventing my car from starting) only to find out that the guy from parts didn't leave it with reception.
- at 1am during sleep, the power in my building fails and to this very hour still isn't on. Couldnt sleep last night because of how cold I was. (hope my snake is okay)

Check us out on IRC chat!
Server: EFnet
Channel: #acura-legend

Need a chat client? www.mirc.com
or web-based www.mibbit.com
asdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 12:41 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtewps View Post
Yesterday was just a constant string of misfortunes for me. and it all started with a morning email about a small cut in my pay. I just knew from that point forward what to expect that day..

- surf the a-l forums for the first time in a while to find out a fellow active member has sadly passed away.
- pet snake got loose in my apt. (not easy to find)
- lost stylus to my PDA
- drove over an hour in the worst snow storm of 09 to the Acura dealership to pick up a part from reception (that is preventing my car from starting) only to find out that the guy from parts didn't leave it with reception.
- at 1am during sleep, the power in my building fails and to this very hour still isn't on. Couldnt sleep last night because of how cold I was. (hope my snake is okay)

God damn...
i just pictured all that as a mini movie in my head

H3 bulb. $6
Old 01-29-09, 02:03 PM   #113 (permalink)
is this real life?

Car 1: Pearl White '91 LS

Quote:
God damn...
i just pictured all that as a mini movie in my head
Thanks for acknowledging. That alone makes things better.

Wanna know whats weird?

- Found my snake behind my TV this morning.
- Stylus was on the floor in my office.
- Car part arrived at work free delivery on Acura's behalf.
- Apparently my power has been restored.

This universe can be a crazy place sometimes.

Check us out on IRC chat!
Server: EFnet
Channel: #acura-legend

Need a chat client? www.mirc.com
or web-based www.mibbit.com
asdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 01:57 AM   #114 (permalink)

So today i got a chance to check under the car... wow. it was just a broken oil line... cost $3 at autozone... now all i have to do is tap off my tranny fluid.

H3 bulb. $6
Old 01-30-09, 02:55 AM   #115 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend Coupe LS, Type II
Car 2: 1988 Cavi Z24 Drop

Quote:
So today i got a chance to check under the car... wow. it was just a broken oil line... cost $3 at autozone... now all i have to do is tap off my tranny fluid.
Spending less than you anticipated is always good. Glad it was something simple

----------------------------------------------------

NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 03:29 AM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoChelle View Post
Spending less than you anticipated is always good. Glad it was something simple
damn right

oh. and yesterday i met SR5guy. how could i forget.. Really kool

H3 bulb. $6
Old 01-31-09, 12:13 AM   #117 (permalink)

Today i went to see the new Underworld movie, it was pretty good. Got a strange text and it was this chick i invited to join this Post office .
The girl i went with wanted to see the Uninvited but i didn't since i wasn't invited. lol.. after saying i'm gonna go i'm gonna go i finally did. I went to the Dmv and took the CDL test, and passed Passed it along with 3 endorsments.

H3 bulb. $6
Old 01-31-09, 12:26 AM   #118 (permalink)

Car 1: 87 Acura Legend 5-spd
Car 2: 97 Cavalier Z24
Car 3: 99 Grand Prix SE

Send a message via AIM to 1stgen5spd Send a message via Yahoo to 1stgen5spd
my day started off slow... went to pay the cable bill yay... decided to stop off at the Cherrybean Coffee Co. that is across the street from my house, that i have been walking by for the last 6 months and never stopped in. was just going to grab an iced mocha but decided to get a sandwich while i was there... got turkey and bacon on wheat grilled with lettuce, tomato, and swiss... took like 10 min to get the sandwich, but DAYUM, it was GOOOOOOD lol... then after luch, i go across the street to pay up what i owed at the local tire shop for a jump from last week. asked the guy about the batteries he had there, and told him what was wrong with mine (the post came off) after bringing in my battery he takes it in the back and comes out with a junk battery he had from a car he replaced the battery in, said it was dead, but it might work. he charged it up for me, and an hour later i had a new battery for my car YAY (not the non blue text) best of all, since he was going to junk the battery anyway, he just took mine in exchange for the other one.....

so i had a good day after all!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy415 View Post
Dawson got his license from the bottom of a cereal box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crowing
Vigor is the red-headed step child of early Acura
Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
There is sort of that assumption by the government, that we're all driving around at eight o'clock in the morning, to be really annoying.
teh space: www.myspace.com/evil_drunken_monkey
teh face: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...07&ref=profile
1stgen5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:37 PM   #119 (permalink)

Today i finally met up with the girl that i got to join the forum.. She has a 93 sedan, cup holder between the seats and a clean engine bay, she also have some clean leather seats.. I was just there talking, got my new girl mad cause she always wonder why i always want to meet people off the internet. I always have to tell her that the forum is my other home. lol

H3 bulb. $6
Old 02-02-09, 01:59 AM   #120 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
last couple days has been cool. Had a good time...got a few shirts i've been wanting, and bought another suit w00t.

I need to stop spending money like this
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge