My thoughts on the state of Hip-hop....yours??? - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about news, life, etc!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-08, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
B.K.A Runa

Car 1: '91 Legend LS
Car 2: '91 DA Integra

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Just puttin in my .02.

Im not here to disagree with any1. i respect any1 who is in the rap game. I can honestly say that todays rap game is 50/50 amongst bullshit and real ppl. I generally try 2 make sure that I'm not rapping about some stuff im not into. U'll never hear me spit a bar about selling crack or kilo's of cocaine to anyone. That's not me and is not a lifestyle I pursue. Yeah I rap about weed. Yeah I rap about cars. Yeah I rap about jewelry. Everything I stated is something I own or in the past have sold. Its okay to exaggerate ur situation within reason, but I find it extra hard to believe that every rapper moves kilos of raw. I enjoy listenin to the clever rhymes of lil wayne from time 2 time but even I must admit that at some point I get sick of hearing that. I listen 2 many "genres" of rap. I have watched hip hop descend but it's not just because of a bunch of wanksta's.
Consider this, Soulja boy was #1 on the hip hop countdown on bet for the year. Jay-z blue magic #100. What does that say 4 hip-hop. The market is not just being controlled by middle class white, but a younger generation. I honestly dont like Soulja Boy at all, but I'll be damned if somehow I didnt learn that obnoxious ass dance. I saw this guy in concert and I thought it was quite possibly the wackest shit I'd ever seen. I saw wayne the same night. He is truly an entertainer. I thought he would be a stuck up asshole who just did songs and left, but he took a moment out after every other song to thank his fans. And just to show that he was reaching out to all genre's he did his songs for the hustla's, his songs for the women, and yes HE EVEN DID THE SOULJA BOY DANCE. At that point I realized that no one can be a gangsta 100% of the time. Birdman- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH enough said.

I honestly dont listen to the radio, especially here in NC because u hear the same 5 songs 25 times a day for 4 months. FUCK THAT!!!! I like feel good hip hop as well. Prime example. Talib Kweli- Just 2 get by. Was my favorite "wake up in the morning and get my day started song." It really just depends on the mood I'm in. If I'm going to the club Lil Jon always gets me ready. If I'm headed 2 work, Money on my mind- Lil Wayne. Ridin thru my old hood in Jerz- In the ghetto- Busta Rhymes. I cant say I listen 2 feel good music all the time, cause I dont feel good all the time. Sometimes I feel like getting crunk, sometime I THINK of Illegal means to make money when times get hard. Sometimes I weep for those that are stuck in a position they cant get out of.

All in all hip has grown from a culture 2 a business. As it has been stated b4, unless u r talkin bout selling kilo's, or the freshest dance on the block, ur not getting paid 4 it. I look at it like this, if a label told u that u were not street enough in ur profession, would u leave ur label and seek another, or take a chance on rapping about something ur not really n2. The answer 2 that question is where ur heart really lies when it comes to hip hop.

BTW-Dear Summer by Jay-Z, LOVED IT.

I also wish I had caught a knee cap with him facing me, just to send a message to faggot ass theives that like 2 steal. "NO EASY TARGET HERE. ATTEMPT THEFT AT UR OWN WAGER, BUT WHEN THE HOUSE WINS U MAY LOSE MORE THAN UR CHIPS. i.e. UR LIFE."

G2BMC

"It's still Big Iggy... B!+(H"

Last edited by G2BMC; 01-02-08 at 07:06 AM.
G2BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-08, 08:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
I Am Not Anderson Cooper

Car 1: 94 Legend L Sedan
Car 2: 94 Honda Civic Dx

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Double Glow
Why does anyone care? Its not like ALL hiphop is going to magically disappear one day (but i wish it would). Those who continue to evolve will evolve the genre, while those who have found their niche will continue to enjoy it, they need to stop acting like its a religion and convert everyone else, its not going to happen. With that said, i think it will continue to change like ALL other music does (and doesn't make a big deal out of) while gaining new listeners, and losing older ones to different styles (branches off) and classics. The end.
Old 01-02-08, 08:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car 1: It's gold had one stripe and says metro on it!!

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well obviously you are not a hip hop lover, so the amazement that you decide to come into a thread about hiphop is overwhelming but.....

Those who appreciate an art, which is what hip hop was originally, dont like to see it demeaned in any way. Look at rock and roll. It is a genre, that had a real long run, then it died off. If people were true to the genre and passed along that feeling to their offspring, maybe rock would still be hot.

Yes music evolves, but lets not let id devolve. Sorry but your answer to the problem or saying the end, will not change people minds.

Opinons are like assholes, there's always one whereever you go!

A newly formed forum/car club that is open to any car enthusiast.

http://redlinesoldiers.forumotion.com/index.htm
NYCOWNSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 08:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
I Am Not Anderson Cooper

Car 1: 94 Legend L Sedan
Car 2: 94 Honda Civic Dx

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Double Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCOWNSU View Post
Well obviously you are not a hip hop lover, so the amazement that you decide to come into a thread about hiphop is overwhelming but.....

Those who appreciate an art, which is what hip hop was originally, dont like to see it demeaned in any way. Look at rock and roll. It is a genre, that had a real long run, then it died off. If people were true to the genre and passed along that feeling to their offspring, maybe rock would still be hot.

Yes music evolves, but lets not let id devolve. Sorry but your answer to the problem or saying the end, will not change people minds.
Im not trying to "change peoples minds" just end pointless threads. (that don't directly involve me).

Edit:
Rock isnt dead, just look at old vinyl saled, it evolved into other genras, Like i said above, some stuck to the classics and others moved onto other things. Just like hip hop dude...just like it.
Old 01-02-08, 08:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

LOL, if that's your objective you would be busy 24/7 on this forum.

This is one of those threads, that based solely on the title, you can determine if you need to post in it or not right......

I couldnt even patrol through the crap and I'm home during the day.

Old 01-02-08, 09:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Coupe (Repaired courtesy of Mr. Mike Diaz)
Car 2: 92 LS Coupe -totaled
Car 3: 1999 3.2 TL

Send a message via AIM to mike19132 Send a message via MSN to mike19132 Send a message via Yahoo to mike19132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Glow View Post
Im not trying to "change peoples minds" just end pointless threads. (that don't directly involve me).

Edit:
Rock isnt dead, just look at old vinyl saled, it evolved into other genras, Like i said above, some stuck to the classics and others moved onto other things. Just like hip hop dude...just like it.
LOL! watch for the hidden white text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYZER SOZE View Post
"Money talks, wealth whispers...!" Think about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSINESSMAN07 View Post
A Women will take your cookie, eat some, give some to her friend and shit on the rest so you cant have any...
mike19132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 10:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mr. Couper

Car 1: 94 black coupe-sold!
Car 2: 91 green coupe-sold!
Car 3: 95 white coupe-sold!

Let me just mention this: Sometimes we are too easily swayed and lose focus by those guys who have nothing to add or build. Their goal is to make a cheap comment (mostly offensive) in order to disturb or damage the thread. We won't all agree on every point, but we can "AGREE to disagree" and maintain respect for each other. It's the code of being a mature adult. Let's keep the thread moving forward. Let's keep the thread moving...

I believe that so-called hiphop radio appeals to a new consumer. The consumer is not interested in substance, but mostly beats and hooks. Therefore, any lyrical scheme will seem hot if placed over the right music. All you have to do is talk about premeditated murder (1st degree), illegal pharmaceutical sales, extravagant vacations, european cars, Jacob, and use tracks produced by Kanye/DRE/PHARRELL ... a star is born.

I'm from the old school; therefore, if you are rapping about items that you don't actually possess, or a lifestyle you don't represent...I'm not listening! It's like listening to the kid at school who is always bragging about how many jordans he owns, the car his father bought him when he turns 16, the girl that he sexed for 4 hours straight, etc.

Not to say there's not rappers who have nice cars and homes, but why would anyone want to listen to a guy brag all day about the expensive things he has? This is the state of current rap music!

I own a personal training business. Most of my clients are millionaires. There are only a few that brag about what they have, where they've vacationed, etc. One guy pulled me to the side and said, "Money talks, wealth whispers...!" Think about it!

Last edited by KEYZER SOZE; 01-02-08 at 11:08 AM.
KEYZER SOZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 11:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Car 1: 95 BMW 740I
Car 2: (860) 585-7200
Car 3: 91 LS Cpe 3.5 *sold*

iTrader Score: 44 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to sr5guy Send a message via AIM to sr5guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Glow View Post
Why does anyone care? Its not like ALL hiphop is going to magically disappear one day (but i wish it would). Those who continue to evolve will evolve the genre, while those who have found their niche will continue to enjoy it, they need to stop acting like its a religion and convert everyone else, its not going to happen. With that said, i think it will continue to change like ALL other music does (and doesn't make a big deal out of) while gaining new listeners, and losing older ones to different styles (branches off) and classics. The end.

Did you get posting lessons by drewlegend? Please chillax Ryan. Is it a post count issue? Maybe we need another whore thread? WTF....

-Matt

sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 12:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

That's the tightest thing I heard all day! hahahaha
Love it!

I feel like I need to clarify something real quick. I wasn't mearly talking about the music (though that is a BIG part of it), I was talking about the culture. When I say the words Hip-hop, notice that I spell it with a capitol "H". I do that because as a "culture" it should be! I don't refer to the music of the culture as Hip-hop because I don't see enough of it! It's all "rap" music or some form of sub-genre of rap.
I wanted to show how an entire culture could be misrepresented to the masses by people and music that do not reflect the true lifestyle.
It could be argued that the evolution of the culture has changed it into what it is today and that it's all still Hip-hop but just a different kind. But I can't subscribe to that mentality.
I love Hip-hop and what is being called Hip-hop today should be called something else.

Da Boi Iggy said "I look at it like this, if a label told u that u were not street enough in ur profession, would u leave ur label and seek another, or take a chance on rapping about something ur not really n2. The answer 2 that question is where ur heart really lies when it comes to hip hop."
Being that I work for a record label I see it all the time........THIS IS THE QUESTION! ^^^^ Well said.
Is it about the money or your integrity and how much of your integrity are you willing to forfeit for cash! This way of thinking can help mend the music and heal the culture as a whole.

Thanks for chiming in on this topic guy's....great stuff! (Most of you)....let's keep it grown folk up in here...lol

Nick
ssilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 02:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Coupe (Repaired courtesy of Mr. Mike Diaz)
Car 2: 92 LS Coupe -totaled
Car 3: 1999 3.2 TL

Send a message via AIM to mike19132 Send a message via MSN to mike19132 Send a message via Yahoo to mike19132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssilk View Post

That's the tightest thing I heard all day! hahahaha
Love it!

I thought so too. Thats why I had to sig it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYZER SOZE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSINESSMAN07 View Post
A Women will take your cookie, eat some, give some to her friend and shit on the rest so you cant have any...
mike19132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 02:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

dude, you said it. the line has been blurred simply for the sake of publicity and record sales. you got these guys coming out talking all this shit about drugs and blah blah blah. by these standards, I (a 20 yr old middle-class white dude) i am way more hood than these fools. have they ever seen/sold a scorpion ki of pure uncut Colombian? didn't think so.... not saying i condone that shit and it's in my past, but i'm just putting it in perspective. just because you sell drugs doesn't make you a thug ass hard gangsta.

by the way, to make my point the last group that ever did this successfully in my eyes is The Dayton Family from fucking Flint, Michigan. yeah, these dudes rap about some fucked up shit, but rather intelligently and the difference? they actually lived what they were spitting. every member of the group is either dead or in prison. that's real shit. when you get a chance listen to "What's On My Mind" by the Dayton family.
spawn_of_stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 03:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

The Dayton Family had some tight shit...no doubt about that!

I feel you bro! I mean, I grew up in the small Oregon city of Klamath Falls. In that city is a huge area of downtown called " Mills Addition". In that part of town the population of white people is dwarfed by an enormous population of Mexicans (many illegal and a vast majority from families of gang's in Cali) and black and other mixed minorities. It is the ghetto!! The place I called home for most of my childhood and teenage years and a place with drugs and violence that could match any situation in any large city in America. I would also venture to say that the drive to be "hard" or "Gangsta" is heightened in places like that due to a feeling of having to prove they are just as hard as any gang from the streets of Cali or New York. The kids and "Gangstas" in these rural cities are just as hard and may be even quicker to violence at even a higher degree than your average L.A gang banger.
In comparison (per capita) to population sizes, it has been proven that many of these smaller cities have in many cases been used as refuge for criminals running from the law or from gang violence and that the crime and drug rates in comparison are just as bad in MANY cases!

Sorry for the rant!.......................again
Nick
ssilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 04:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mr. Couper

Car 1: 94 black coupe-sold!
Car 2: 91 green coupe-sold!
Car 3: 95 white coupe-sold!

Please allow me to get a few things off my chest...

One's affiliation with drugs, gangs, guns, gangsta rap music (any dillusional music for that matter) demonstrates one's carelessness with their own mortality/life. It's an incredible experience to be raised in bowels of the ghetto where survival is your primary goal for the day. Even those who make it out are still smitten with the remnants of the defacation of street life. There are plenty of urban kids in college who are raising gang signs in chemistry lab, fighting in the dorms, raping or running trains on girls, stealing shit for no reason (..just because), cheatin on exams and eventually ruining their lives. For what? Street cred? It's hard to shake that shit off. No matter how intelligent this thread is written and digested by the reader...it still has the aroma of the streets. They say, "you can take a man outta the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto outta the man?" Very harsh, but true. Most of us who came from nothing and have found success is due to us having the ability to open our eyes/mind to new concepts, new friends, new communities, new associates, new business partners, new investments, and new strategies for the betterment of our families. Yet, if someone crosses us at any level...we hear that gangsta in us saying...."nigga, what? Muthafucka I will beat your muthafuckin bitch ass, BITCH...".
Most of the time, we are able to keep our mouths closed during these moments and say something like..."I completely understand, I apologize!" We learn to protect our investment at all costs, but sometimes it is highly reasonable and necessary to unleash.

*Disclaimer:
This is grown man talk here. Therefore, some of you will have no idea what I'm talking about, but I haven't the energy to explain; therefore, I must go on without you.

This is for the present and future business owners, the management guys, the future company top salesmen, and all the hard working guys that bust their ass to afford a house, keep a decent credit score, drive a nice whip, not cheat on their wifey, take out the trash, and put-the-toilet-lid-down- type gentlemen. I'm talking to the guys who lived the street life, and are trying to create a higher plain for their kids to play and learn. I wish all of you the best of luck. Everday of my life, I'm forced to swallow a few words that could negatively affect the business that I'm involved. However, every now and again...I slip.
KEYZER SOZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 05:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: .......

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
hip hop is dead.

Prove me wrong.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 06:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

OK...

More to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge