"The PEOPLE make the community...NOT the URL." - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about news, life, etc!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-09, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
"The PEOPLE make the community...NOT the URL."

You should all read this for clarification on everything this new Vendor policy entails:

So here is a conversation dated 4/17/09. This is Nadeem announcing to the mods the New Vendor Policy followed by our initial concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeem
In an attempt to streamline the vendor program, We are introducing a new tag for our vendors. All vendors will now carry a special tag so that mods/admins can quickly identify our vendors (Our vendors are the only people allowed to sell product on the forums). We have also merged any duplicate usergroups so there is only one vendor usergroup.

Here is the official vendor tag:

Going forward, any company without this tag shall be considered a “non sponsor” and is not allowed to make posts of a commercial-nature, nor promote their product on the forums.

Site Sponsor rules and Actions

1. Sponsor can advertise in sig area their company name and URL, using the same general guidelines outlined in the forum rules
2. Sponsors can post for sale ads in their Sponsor Forum, and the Group Buy/Vendor deals sections.
3. Sponsors can reply to a DIRECT request for cost info etc. in the general forums.
4. Sponsors must use some tact when another sponsor appears to be "working" a post. A sponsor must try to avoid lowballing another sponsor quote. Fighting and product-bashing between vendors is not acceptable.
5. Please note, for all other areas not covered in the rules. The final decision will be made by staff and admins.

Non Site Sponsor posting commercially.
Anyone posting commercially without a vendor tag would fall in this category.

Please archive their posts and inform the user that they must be a Site Sponsor in order to post commercially within the forum. They can contact [email protected] for all advertising inquiries.

Previous Site Sponsor with no vendor tag.
If a sponsor no longer carries a vendor tag then they are no longer allowed to make new commercial posts. They should be considered as inactive and their new posts or new threads must be archived.

Keep in mind that any custom rules that you have in place are still effective. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at ******
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Well what is considered a commercial post by a "non vendor"?

The reason why I'm asking is because the majority of the stuff being sold on here has absolutely nothing to do with the sponsoring vendors, and it never has. They're either normal active members who have access to goods/services (HID kits, custom made Legend suspension parts, custom Legend ECUs, etc) and sell them to their fellow members, or companies that have been refered to this site by another member to help with a group buy through their company.

Are you saying that normal active members with products to sell aren't allowed to do so because they're not sponsored vendors? I'm not talking about guys parting out a Legend or selling 1 or 2 random things, but actually have enough of a product to start a group buy or mass sell individual parts.

Or are you just saying that new guys who essentially come on to spam their website aren't allowed?

There are quite a few members on here who either initiate group buys with companies to get us parts at discounted prices, or have access to get their own parts manufactured to sell to us (probably at a personal profit). Will they have to go through some process to become official "vendors" in order to sell their stuff here, or are they not what you were referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe
Yes I do believe there needs to be a bit more clarification for the benefit of the whole before this policy is implemented.

Example 1: Winner's Edge Automotive. This is a shop owned and operated by a forum member. He has done work for several members and they have voluntarily added his shop's info into their sigs.

Example 2: Tellion and SR5guy ECUs. These are two well-known members that have provided a service and goods to multiple members on here. Also falling into this category is people referring to Jkurl to make 3.5 motor mounts and myself as well as I clear out tail lights and make cupholders for forum members.

Example 3: Group buys. Members with access to manufacturers of products (e.g. HID kits, strut bars, and Iggee seat covers) will often run a group buy on these products to get members a bulk discount. The companies that produce these products will then often get free advertising when the group buy is complete and members have good things to say about the product and the experience.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela
Yes I do believe there needs to be a bit more clarification for the benefit of the whole before this policy is implemented.

Example 1: Winner's Edge Automotive. This is a shop owned and operated by a forum member. He has done work for several members and they have voluntarily added his shop's info into their sigs.
Unfortunately, we will not allow this anymore. It is part of our vendor packages to allow sponsors to have links to their sites and their contact info in their sigs. We don't have to change this right away, but we should slowly inplement it.
Quote:
Example 2: Tellion and SR5guy ECUs. These are two well-known members that have provided a service and goods to multiple members on here. Also falling into this category is people referring to Jkurl to make 3.5 motor mounts and myself as well as I clear out tail lights and make cupholders for forum members.
Sponsorship is not expensive, and if somebody is making a profit, they need to be set up as a sponsor. Start a company if you want with the few small guys and get a sponsorship set up together if necessary. Or we can set up a different usergroup for grandfathered in helpers of the members. We would have to make it clear that these are community helpers and not out to make a profit. Also, to be in this group you would have to explain each member seperately to me for approval.

Quote:
Example 3: Group buys. Members with access to manufacturers of products (e.g. HID kits, strut bars, and Iggee seat covers) will often run a group buy on these products to get members a bulk discount. The companies that produce these products will then often get free advertising when the group buy is complete and members have good things to say about the product and the experience.
We should not be allowing public posts about group buys with companies that are not sponsors. It is free advertising, and we don't want to give it out like that. It is unfair to those who pay.

So, in conclusion, we don't have to implement this right away, but slowly and surely we need to go in this direction. Email me directly if there are any further questions, and in Example 2 let's come to a decision of which direction we want to take. I mean, like $3 a day or whatever isn't really that much to pay for sponsorship. It's less than a large coffee at Starbucks. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe
Nadeem with all due respect I see this as a step in the wrong direction.

I was wondering if this was going to happen here as well (the same policy exists over at AW).

If there was a larger after market or variety of parts available for our cars, I could totally see something like this being necessary...but even then STILL not to the proposed degree.

The fact is that most of the parts that our members actually WANT are either made or sourced by other members...not vendors.

In fact, I have never heard one complaint from any of the paying vendors about the current state of sales on this forum.

So what is the FS section going to look like with the new policies? The group buy section?

Even the gradual implementation of these policies is going to alienate some of our most loyal, talented, long-term members. Tellion, sr5guy, Fut, Boondock Saints, Jkurl, and many more. These guys all provide a service and goods for the community and have thus carved a niche for their products. They have paved the way with their own blood, sweat, tears, and often their own pockets. It's not fair to ask them to have to pay do business here. They don't do it because it makes them rich. They do it because they can and because there is a need.

And maybe "free advertising" wasnt the best choice of words on my part. But rather the individuals or companies that host group buys get either positive or negative feedback which progresses the community and the Legend as a whole either way. Forbidding that is forbidding progress...

I highly suggest reviewing these new policies because in all honesty, the current draft is not going to work here. Ever.

As I mentioned, I've never heard a vendor complain...so whats wrong with the way things are?

Quote:
If there are contributing members of the site, then you will have to run them past me before they can post up sales. I can understand if people are not making big production runs or working out of their garages to make cheap parts. But, we should not abuse it. Vendor fees are not that much, and there are certain things that are not negotiable such as tires and wheels. Discount tire pays to have a monopoly over that aspect of things. Just email me if you have somebody running a group buy, or running a small production of some useful parts that are not competing with a vendor. That way at least I know what is going on if anything gets reported. Thanks.

So 47 days have passed since we started this conversation. How many vendors have complained in that time? If fact how many vendors have even offered us anything WORTHWHILE!?!?

I am glad I saved this conversation BEFORE YOU DELETED IT THIS MORNING!!

Nadeem I still stand by my previous stance. THIS POLICY IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR A SITE AND COMMUNITY THAT RELIES HEAVILY ON MEMBER-BASED TRANSACTIONS. We sell to each other because that is all we have. Forbidding sales, group buys, and custom parts amongst ourselves will kill this community.

And for that reason I refuse to enforce this policy.

Old 06-03-09, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
We are.

Besides...

I can respect the enforcement and all that. It's hard to, but I can grin and bear it.

The problem I personally am having is the shady shit no-one is seeing. The bans without warnings/points, banning without putting "banned" in their info, even, the deletion of conversations, PMs, and threads to avoid making highers look bad or guilty, CHANGING MY OWN DAMN SIGNATURE, and complete apathy, nay, unwillingness to let the community even talk about it all.

That is foul, and the stink is worse than any cheese-broccoli fart I have ever been witness to. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

I have lost pretty much any respect I could have managed to muster for the "top" dogs here.
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rebuilding :(

Car 1: 95 Black L Coupe, Stromung Exhaust
Car 2: Diamond Audio
Car 3: ATL LEGENDS!

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smokinfastlegend Send a message via Yahoo to Smokinfastlegend

That is for those who are fighting against this.

44732-s87-a00 <- part number
Smokinfastlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
All I can say is, this forum is gonna go down. What is up with these new rules? I'm starting to lose faith on this forum.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

Car 1: Acura Legend L 91
Car 2: Rebellion

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
93legendsedan isn't a douch but isn't going along with everyone else which I think he should reconsider his position but he is right... My theory is that we use other sites to advertise GB if this is going to cost GB starters, special sellers and others. We can still be part of this community, but we are just gonna have to handle GB, and special sales elsewhere
DandDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crowing View Post
The problem I personally am having is the shady shit no-one is seeing. The bans without warnings/points, banning without putting "banned" in their info, even, the deletion of conversations, PMs, and threads to avoid making highers look bad or guilty, CHANGING MY OWN DAMN SIGNATURE, and complete apathy, nay, unwillingness to let the community even talk about it all.
Wow didn't know, that isn't right..
Old 06-03-09, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
because i can.

Matt, I dont know how you are interpreting this, but in Laymans:

1) Only paying vendors can sell "products" here....so no custom 3.5 mounts, no chipped ECUs, no cupholders, no short throw shifters, no OBX or Kotetu headers

2) Only paying vendors can run group buys...so no Iggees, no Fut Bars, no allluminum crank pulleys)

3) Only paying vendors can advertise here....so members are not allowed to suggest places that actually make or do stuff for Legends, work on Legends (like SR5guys shop, Mike Diaz, or Tony's shop), or might be willing to do a one off run for us (like the Korean gauge faces for G2s)

Sure its easy to say "Just buy the vendor tag!"

Well...have you looked at the vendor prices? $3/day turns into $540 for six months and $1095 for a year...

I don't think ANYBODY on this site makes enough profit from the items they sell to justify becoming a vendor. And do you really think that a company that is willing to do a group buy with us is going to want to plunk down that kind of money JUST to do razor-thin-profit margin business with us??

This kind of thing may make sense on a Corvette, Neon SRT4, or Audi forum....but it will NEVER work at a place like this.
Old 06-03-09, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
has left the building

He's losing me and almost all of the other OGs and MTMs (Members That Matter). I refuse to frequent a place where the BS the The Crowing referred to occurs along with the blatant attempts to squash any reference to alternative sites or pointed criticism. This entire policy change is about nothing but greed. However, I would expect nothing less from a group that proclaims to be "automobile enthusiasts" but are nothing more than Gordon Gekko wannabes.

For those of you that remain, have a nice life. I have a feeling it's about to get very lonely in here.
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

What if we do have gb on the forum without said tag, I know the mods wont comply with this policy but will you get banned? and if so by who? the administrator (Nadeem)? Yo 91 chill bro no need for that...
Old 06-03-09, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rebuilding :(

Car 1: 95 Black L Coupe, Stromung Exhaust
Car 2: Diamond Audio
Car 3: ATL LEGENDS!

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smokinfastlegend Send a message via Yahoo to Smokinfastlegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandDEE View Post
What if we do have gb on the forum without said tag, I know the mods wont comply with this policy but will you get banned? and if so by who? the administrator (Nadeem)? Yo 91 chill bro no need for that...
i wouldnt doubt someone would watch over the group buy forum, and any new thread would be deleted because it wasnt approved. After all it has to go through with an approval process before it gets posted.

44732-s87-a00 <- part number
Smokinfastlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
because i can.

Yeah...he has banned a few members already today and deleted all of his previous posts in what appears to be a sorry attempt at "covering his tracks."

He will probably just continue to delete threads and ban members. I'm probably on the block myself with this thread...but we tried to handle this quietly and he obviously thought that we (the mods) don't know wtf we are talking about...
Old 06-03-09, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

Bullocks..
Old 06-03-09, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chopper Challenge Champion

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Matt, I dont know how you are interpreting this, but in Laymans:

1) Only paying vendors can sell "products" here....so no custom 3.5 mounts, no chipped ECUs, no cupholders, no short throw shifters, no OBX or Kotetu headers

2) Only paying vendors can run group buys...so no Iggees, no Fut Bars, no allluminum crank pulleys)

3) Only paying vendors can advertise here....so members are not allowed to suggest places that actually make or do stuff for Legends, work on Legends (like SR5guys shop, Mike Diaz, or Tony's shop), or might be willing to do a one off run for us (like the Korean gauge faces for G2s)

Sure its easy to say "Just buy the vendor tag!"

Well...have you looked at the vendor prices? $3/day turns into $540 for six months and $1095 for a year...

I don't think ANYBODY on this site makes enough profit from the items they sell to justify becoming a vendor. And do you really think that a company that is willing to do a group buy with us is going to want to plunk down that kind of money JUST to do razor-thin-profit margin business with us??

This kind of thing may make sense on a Corvette, Neon SRT4, or Audi forum....but it will NEVER work at a place like this.

If you want to stay, stay. Nobody cares. But for any of you who have ever either bought goods or services from another member or participated in a GB, know that it will not exist anymore.

Who is going to pay $1000 a year for the privilege of selling some shit on the forum? Even Telion and SR5guy would have to sell 15-20 of their chips just to break even after paying this fee. And for what? It doesnt go into improving the forum at all, its going straight to the corporation at the top.

Which of you is going to contact a company in the hopes of getting a GB going only to have to tell them "Well uh, our forum would like to buy some stuff from you... but the guys who own our forum won't let us unless you pay them to be an official vendor first." and hope that they pay it.

I'm not enforcing company policy unless i become a paid employee.
Banana! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
He's out picking up his kids, as he stated somewhere.

Thats the only reason this thread is still open.
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

So what do we do from here I don't wanna leave this forum.. I doubt I will but how am I suppose to buy light weight pulleys, headers, cams, ECUs and such if there is no one to sell them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Off Topic > The Lounge