15 inch low wheel offset - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-07, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stu

Car 1: 2005 Lexus LS430

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
15 inch low wheel offset

I want to buy new 15s ( yes 15s ) and keep my stocks with snows.

The 15" stock offset is +65 but NO ONE makes 15 inch wheels with this offset. My question is if I go with a 45 offset on a 7 inch wide wheel, will it look bad OR cause any wheel bearing/allignment ... or any other issues ?

Last edited by Stu; 01-25-07 at 10:12 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-07, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
how wide...

diameter could matter less when it comes to offset because offset has nothing to do with diameter.

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stu

If I go with a 45 offset and say a 7" wide wheel will it look bad OR cause any wheel bearing/allignment ... or any other issues ?

Old 01-25-07, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stu

can anyone answer this ????

Do I have to rely on guys at tire shops who dont believe the Legend's 15s have a 65 mm offset ?
Old 01-25-07, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

Send a message via AIM to B+O
the 20mm difference in offset is only 1/4 negated by the increase in wheel width.

That plus the soft tire sidewall may put more stress on the bearings, but other than that, you're good to go.

I would look for a 15x8 with a "high" offset (in the mid to high 40s). and get some 205 or 215 sized 15" tires. the stretch will stiffen the side wall up, but it it's up to you on how it will look. it may look decent, it may look like garbage. some wire mesh wheels in 15 works

I would go with 16" though just because 15" wheels are hard to come by with a good offset... and plus, can get more support under the car with the 16"

unless you're going to go japanese, in which case i'd suggest a VOLK racing they typically have a lot of smaller sizes with decent offsets.

Last edited by B+O; 01-25-07 at 11:26 PM.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+O View Post
the 20mm difference in offset is only 1/4 negated by the increase in wheel width. That plus the soft tire sidewall may put more stress on the bearings, but other than that, you're good to go.

I would look for a 15x8 with a "high" offset (in the mid to high 40s). and get some 205 or 215 sized 15" tires. the stretch will stiffen the side wall up, but it it's up to you on how it will look. it may look decent, it may look like garbage. some wire mesh wheels in 15 works

I would go with 16" though just because 15" wheels are hard to come by with a good offset... and plus, can get more support under the car with the 16"

unless you're going to go japanese, in which case i'd suggest a VOLK racing they typically have a lot of smaller sizes with decent offsets.
Thanks for the detailed reply. If I dont just go with OEM 15s which should be cheap but not always easy to get locally, I will take your advise and do a 15 X 8 and try a 225 tire.

16s are not an option for me cause a Legend to me is all about a smooth comfortable ride - not performance.

here is a cool picture of an LS400 on IS300 wheels .... maybe my next mistake with 17 inch wheels, lol

Last edited by Stu; 04-04-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI-your-NAN

Car 1: LegendBashing///Mobile

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drewLegend
16"s aren't really performance size wheels. GS wheels are 16"s and they still obtain an excellent ride.

If you found a set of 16"s and used the OEM tire size, you shouldn't loose any ride quality at all.

'92 LS Sedan = sold as of 10/18/07
drewLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewLegend View Post
If you found a set of 16"s and used the OEM tire size, you shouldn't loose any ride quality at all.
I have spoken to guys who have both GS and 15 inch wheels and they say the ride is noticably harsher on the GS wheels.

A lot of people on this forum told me the ride on 17s isn't harsh and I trusted them .... and that was a BIG mistake.

The crazy thing is the total sidewall difference between a 215/45/17 and a 205/60/15 is only an inch (1/2 inch between the road and the rim!).... 25% less sidewall height makes that much of a difference on bumpy roads !
Old 01-27-07, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
hmm...I have never rode in a car with rims smaller than 18's so I dont really know if the ride is softer/smoother or not...I was thinking about getting some 17's so I could run a bit fatter sidewall than I have right now...but than again I am planning on lowering the car also...so my ride is never gonna be beautiful.
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stu

I will never, ever, ride on less than a 60 series tire again
Old 01-27-07, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

40 series yo!! LOL...I know you have been talking about getting some different wheels for some time.....honeslty though unless its a sharp bump...I dont see the problem for myself...I ride pretty good I think....are the roads REALLY that bad??

I would like to get your wheels...I know you need to sell em...but worried about the whole shipping thing from canada has me a tad worried...had a issue once...and it took a year to clear it up....so you can see how that would worry a guy...although I wanna help you out and get something I want in return at the same time...of course...money is the first issue
Old 01-28-07, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Stu

Its the big potholes and raised sewer grates and all the major road imperfections that piss me off when I can feel them. I had some serious suspension repairs done last month and the car is a lot better so It may be better with the 17 now. I do LOVE the way the IS wheels look on thr car. I have never seen a set of non OEM wheels look better - yes some are more expensive, flashier and chromed, but non are nore refined and elegent to my eye.

I dont blame you for not wanting to buy something from across any border. There are lots of "other" expenses, freight, brokerage to clear customs, local delivery charges, sales taxes and of course the risk that the seller will cheat you by sending damaged goods or not sending anything at all ! Use craigslist and deal locally, or seek a local seller via the many forums. I got my Lexus wheels rom Toyota Nation.

I managed to find someone local on A-l.com with a set of 15s .... and while I do want to buy them, and probably will, its kind of insane to have three sets of wheels and tires for one car. Insanr yes but I am crazy enough to do it !
Old 01-28-07, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

yaa...I hear ya on the IS wheels...although the ultimate for me is bboarder's wheels (rich)....those to me are the ultimate supreme wheels for a OEM look...I have slowly begun hunting some of those down because I like the way they look just THAT much...and my roads here arent too bad...we have some holes and some rough roads...in particular glendale and 7th ST crossing....horrible...beats me half to death and its only a intersection, we have the raised sewer grates too...I am always swerving around...got pulled over one time because of it but simply explanied I had some $$ invested in wheels and simply wanted to protect them.
Old 01-28-07, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI-your-NAN

Car 1: LegendBashing///Mobile

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drewLegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have spoken to guys who have both GS and 15 inch wheels and they say the ride is noticably harsher on the GS wheels.
Hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me. Since the GS was the basically the best overall Legend made, I'd tend to think it'd have the nicest ride. A 1" difference in wheels shouldn't make the ride quality noticiably worse, ecsecially if you use the OEM tire size.

'92 LS Sedan = sold as of 10/18/07
drewLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewLegend View Post
Hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me. Since the GS was the basically the best overall Legend made, I'd tend to think it'd have the nicest ride. A 1" difference in wheels shouldn't make the ride quality noticiably worse, ecsecially if you use the OEM tire size.
You saying the GS is the best overall Legend made is your subjective judgement, and it is based, I am guessing, on it's superior performance (hp)and handling ( bigger wheels and other "stuff". I am much less interested in performance and handling, and more highly value comfort and a smooth ride, so we can agree to disagree here.

Now to be fair, I have also had two back surgeries, one to repair a sequestered disc and a laminectomy to remove a spinal tumor so I have unique back issues and am probably more sensitive to bumps. I bet I feel discomfort riding over bumps you hardly notice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension