Anyone used Kumho Solus KH16 tires before? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-07, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Arrow Anyone used Kumho Solus KH16 tires before?

I just recently got a set of 4 of these off ebay for under 350$ new and was wondering has anyone used these tires on a personal level... Ive read all the reviews off tirerack and they ranked 4th in their catergory which is not bad compared to all the 160$ each price range tires. reason why I ask is I currently have a high performance low profile tire at size 215/45/17 and want a more comfortable ride without feeling the bumps as bad as i do now which is why i went with the 215/50/17. Im not looking for performance or anything, just for daily trips and long rides across town. any input is appriciated thanks!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Solus+KH16
Mike813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-07, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

they are loud, though comfortable, i have them, they have bad handling and whenever it rains, im doing burnouts all the time, barely touching the throttle...
Artillery129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
-Aww Dip-

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend LS (sold)
Car 2: 2001 3.2 TL-Navi
Car 3: 2009 Altima Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJBacon06
I've got those on my Legend. For the money, they are great. I think I paid like $80 each or something like that. The ride on them is nice, traction is decent - not awesome, but not terrible either. The only beef I have with them is how fast they wear out. I've noticed them wearing out much faster than anticipated, but it was also due to my lack of rotating them.

All in all I am very happy with them though. Just make sure you rotate them on a regular basis to avoid the wear down.

Edit: I don't think they are that loud, but maybe that's just me.

^^ Sold https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...36#post1221436
DJBacon06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-07, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

hows the ride comfort on them? i know im not expecting superior performance etc etc for the price. just something for everyday driving and roadtrips every few years kinda thing. hows the ride over small bumps and cracks etc etc? i know for sure on my low pro 45's, it feels as if i jump curbs when i hit them which is not comfortable when you have family in the vehicle w/ you ragging on how its suppose to be a fancy luxury but rides like shit lol...n e ways back on subject from going on kumho's website these are typical vehicle matches for a few decent cars. hope its not that bad.

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passen...rmance/KH16.do
Old 12-21-07, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS

there is another type of solus that is far better. My buddy has installed alot of them and they are great.

Also the Ecsta SPT??? i dunno another kumho tire is pretty good.

The yokahama Avid line is really good for the money and have a 720 wear rating.
'94'Polymorphic'GS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I prefer the Yokohama's. They are longer lasting and typicaly better in the snow. Never tried the Kumho's personally but The Yoko's are loud but not unacceptable.
Jake@Tirerack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

great, thanks for the input guys, after the kumho's i'll lean towards trying the yokohama line for the A/S and 720 rating. thats a pretty high number for a passenger A/S tire.
Old 12-26-07, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Stu

Car 1: 2005 Lexus LS430

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike813 View Post
hows the ride comfort on them? ......... i know for sure on my low pro 45's, it is not comfortable .... its suppose to be a fancy luxury but rides like shit lol...n e ways back on subject from going on kumho's website these are typical vehicle matches for a few decent cars. hope its not that bad.
I have heard good stuff about Khumos and Toyo. My sense is they wont grip in the corners nearly as strongly as Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama tires costing twice as much, but they deliver a quiet smooth comfortable drive, and thinking about the same tire .

I asked the tire guru at another forum for advise, specifically asking about the Khumos. Here is his reply to me:

Stu,

First off thank you for the detailed description regarding your needs and specifications. You have no idea how many questions like this I get asked with a total of 14 words or so in the message.

For your primary needs of good ride quality and noise suppression, I have a few recommendations. I have organized them in the order of "best in other categories", primarily dry/wet traction. Essentially the first one mentioned is the best tire all around (while still being very quiet/comfortable). I also listed the current prices for each tire off the Tirerack website, just to give a complete picture:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S ($93)
Continental ContiProContact ($73)
Yokohama Avid H4S ($64)
Kumho Solus KH16 ($54)

One important note is that the Kumho will last the longest out of the litter, so the value quotient is even higher than the initial price. The Michelin and Yokohama are rated close behind in terms of treadwear, while the Continental will wear out quite a bit faster. The data I'm using for this is not the manufacturer's voluntary (and completely false) treadwear rating, but rather data compiled from long-term testing by an independent source.

Oh, and in case it isn't clear by now, my recommendation is that Kumho! It's a great tire all around, will ride just as comfortably and quietly as the more expensive choices, and should last even longer. It's a no-brainer to me.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have heard good stuff about Khumos and Toyo. My sense is they wont grip in the corners nearly as strongly as Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama tires costing twice as much, but they deliver a quiet smooth comfortable drive, and thinking about the same tire .

I asked the tire guru at another forum for advise, specifically asking about the Khumos. Here is his reply to me:

Stu,

First off thank you for the detailed description regarding your needs and specifications. You have no idea how many questions like this I get asked with a total of 14 words or so in the message.

For your primary needs of good ride quality and noise suppression, I have a few recommendations. I have organized them in the order of "best in other categories", primarily dry/wet traction. Essentially the first one mentioned is the best tire all around (while still being very quiet/comfortable). I also listed the current prices for each tire off the Tirerack website, just to give a complete picture:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S ($93)
Continental ContiProContact ($73)
Yokohama Avid H4S ($64)
Kumho Solus KH16 ($54)

One important note is that the Kumho will last the longest out of the litter, so the value quotient is even higher than the initial price. The Michelin and Yokohama are rated close behind in terms of treadwear, while the Continental will wear out quite a bit faster. The data I'm using for this is not the manufacturer's voluntary (and completely false) treadwear rating, but rather data compiled from long-term testing by an independent source.

Oh, and in case it isn't clear by now, my recommendation is that Kumho! It's a great tire all around, will ride just as comfortably and quietly as the more expensive choices, and should last even longer. It's a no-brainer to me.

Thats the exact info I was looking for, along with everyones personal experiences. I know the companies beef up their stories about ride comfort etc etc in almost every tire they make with copy & pasted details . The tires were ordered and estimated delivery is on the 27th i'll def take some shots and update on the ride and comfort of the new shoes.
Old 12-26-07, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Thats the exact info I was looking for, along with everyones personal experiences. I know the companies beef up their stories about ride comfort etc etc in almost every tire they make with copy & pasted details . The tires were ordered and estimated delivery is on the 27th i'll def take some shots and update on the ride and comfort of the new shoes.
Glad to help. The quote came from a heavy poster on a Toronto BMW forum.
Kumho Solus KH16 are NOT high performance tires.
Please post your coments here when you can, I would love to read your impressions of them on your Legend.

Just curious, what tires are you replacing with the Solus ?
Old 12-27-07, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

im currently on hankook k104's, they came along when I purchased the Cl-S rims off a member in another site w 8/32nd tread. You can literally feel every bump/crack on the road which was ok at first because I was expecting it off a high performance tire. But now im leaning towards comfort than performance ever since I got the 06 civic sedan.
Old 12-27-07, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Renaissance.

Car 1: 91 5MT LS, 310k
Car 2: 91 5MT LS, 208k
Car 3: 03 G35 sdn (wife's)

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
I had them on my Legend before I went to my 18s, and on my Integra before I sold it. They are comfortable, wear decently, and in the rain, the traction isn't horrible. They last awhile as well. Road noise is average, nothing that I ever felt the need to complain about.
whats77inaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
I just recently got a set of 4 of these .....
My tire requirement are exactly like yours, and I am tempted to buy Solus tires too ..... what do you think of them? Are you happy with them ?
Old 01-02-08, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just got them installed today... the tires are not broken into yet only about 23 miles, but so far the height difference is noticeable since I use to scrape my mudguards at certain routes i take on a daily basis, and now i can fly by them without slowing down. But the grip is not as sticky as a summer tire so today i noticed when making a hard turn and you accelerate hard youll chirp the tires pretty easily for a good second before it grips back. the comfort level is just soft by a little, but im expecting it to soften a bit more once the tires are broken into and a little escaped air should soften it up. but over all for a little over 300$ im happy with the tires and the 440 treadwear.
Old 01-02-08, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stu

enjoy them ... and safe driving. I have 'till spring to decide on my next set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension