Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-13, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers?

straightkid6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-13, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lowering springs will give you a stiffer car and more control over body roll, but if you're on stock (presumably old) shocks, they'll make for a very bouncy ride and poor handling on bumpy surfaces. And if you don't change out your stock shocks, they'll eventually give out because the stiff springs put extra stress on them. Once the shocks go, the car will ride like crap. But there are soft sets available that will not stress your shocks as much. I don't know what those brands are, though.

A coil-over kit is usually a matched set of springs and shocks... so the shocks will not be
over-stressed by the spring stiffness. They're usually adjustable for ride height and shock damping, too. If you buy it at a good place and the installer knows what he's doing, it'll ride better than stock while giving you much more control and better handling than just a set of lowering springs. Only downsides is possible suspension noise and rust on the grooves for the rings used to adjust height. If it's a good brand, the springs and shocks will probably live longer than your car will... as most of these sets are a hell of a lot stronger than stock suspensions... Unfortunately, they cost a freaking arm and a leg (say...$1100-$1450... or more for the more adjustable ones).
racercar4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I guess it depends if you're looking for auto parts for racing or street use. I suggest lowering springs if you intend to use your car for daily street use.
samgals444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-13, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.
Old 06-09-13, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgals444 View Post
If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.

and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.
Old 06-09-13, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.
Yeah and there are different types of coilovers. They're available in a lot of autoparts store. some online stores claim they do price maatching but i guess they still sell them for over a 1000bucks.
poserice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

The Sleeve type is designed to be less expensive, but give you the flexibility to use the shocks of your choice.Many customers go with an adjustable performance shock or non adjustable which we don't recommend.
gak8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racercar4242 View Post
Lowering springs will give you a stiffer car and more control over body roll, but if you're on stock (presumably old) shocks, they'll make for a very bouncy ride and poor handling on bumpy surfaces. And if you don't change out your stock shocks, they'll eventually give out because the stiff springs put extra stress on them. Once the shocks go, the car will ride like crap. But there are soft sets available that will not stress your shocks as much. I don't know what those brands are, though.

A coil-over kit is usually a matched set of springs and shocks... so the shocks will not be
over-stressed by the spring stiffness. They're usually adjustable for ride height and shock damping, too. If you buy it at a good place and the installer knows what he's doing, it'll ride better than stock while giving you much more control and better handling than just a set of lowering springs. Only downsides is possible suspension noise and rust on the grooves for the rings used to adjust height. If it's a good brand, the springs and shocks will probably live longer than your car will... as most of these sets are a hell of a lot stronger than stock suspensions... Unfortunately, they cost a freaking arm and a leg (say...$1100-$1450... or more for the more adjustable ones).
A lot of what your saying isn't correct.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Quote:
It depends on what your going for! It also depends on doing it the right way and the wrong way.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Old 06-09-13, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Quote:
This will also depend on what car you have.

Old 06-09-13, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG View Post
It depends on what your going for! It also depends on doing it the right way and the wrong way.

Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-13, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Drag coilovers are for those who strictly drag race. These come in either only the rear set, or all 4. However, the rears are set exceptionally stiff to keep the car from shifting weight to the rear wheels during launch. This is usually used on front wheel drive cars that want to keep the front wheels planted to the ground as much as possible to maintain traction.
Old 06-09-13, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Quote:
Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?
Ok what year car do you have and is it a sedan or a coupe?

Old 06-09-13, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Quote:
Drag coilovers are for those who strictly drag race. These come in either only the rear set, or all 4. However, the rears are set exceptionally stiff to keep the car from shifting weight to the rear wheels during launch. This is usually used on front wheel drive cars that want to keep the front wheels planted to the ground as much as possible to maintain traction.
He asked what lowering not what racing your going off topic.

Old 06-09-13, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I hope you try to look for other brands and compare their brands and reviews.
gak8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension