Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-13, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers?

Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers?
straightkid6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-13, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: irvine,california
Posts: 1


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lowering springs will give you a stiffer car and more control over body roll, but if you're on stock (presumably old) shocks, they'll make for a very bouncy ride and poor handling on bumpy surfaces. And if you don't change out your stock shocks, they'll eventually give out because the stiff springs put extra stress on them. Once the shocks go, the car will ride like crap. But there are soft sets available that will not stress your shocks as much. I don't know what those brands are, though.

A coil-over kit is usually a matched set of springs and shocks... so the shocks will not be
over-stressed by the spring stiffness. They're usually adjustable for ride height and shock damping, too. If you buy it at a good place and the installer knows what he's doing, it'll ride better than stock while giving you much more control and better handling than just a set of lowering springs. Only downsides is possible suspension noise and rust on the grooves for the rings used to adjust height. If it's a good brand, the springs and shocks will probably live longer than your car will... as most of these sets are a hell of a lot stronger than stock suspensions... Unfortunately, they cost a freaking arm and a leg (say...$1100-$1450... or more for the more adjustable ones).
racercar4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I guess it depends if you're looking for auto parts for racing or street use. I suggest lowering springs if you intend to use your car for daily street use.
samgals444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-09-13, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.
samgals444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgals444 View Post
If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.

and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.
straightkid6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 1


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.
Yeah and there are different types of coilovers. They're available in a lot of autoparts store. some online stores claim they do price maatching but i guess they still sell them for over a 1000bucks.
poserice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 3


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.


The Sleeve type is designed to be less expensive, but give you the flexibility to use the shocks of your choice.Many customers go with an adjustable performance shock or non adjustable which we don't recommend.
gak8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fut RIP
 
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 10-A-KEY
Posts: 10,147


Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's


iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racercar4242 View Post
Lowering springs will give you a stiffer car and more control over body roll, but if you're on stock (presumably old) shocks, they'll make for a very bouncy ride and poor handling on bumpy surfaces. And if you don't change out your stock shocks, they'll eventually give out because the stiff springs put extra stress on them. Once the shocks go, the car will ride like crap. But there are soft sets available that will not stress your shocks as much. I don't know what those brands are, though.

A coil-over kit is usually a matched set of springs and shocks... so the shocks will not be
over-stressed by the spring stiffness. They're usually adjustable for ride height and shock damping, too. If you buy it at a good place and the installer knows what he's doing, it'll ride better than stock while giving you much more control and better handling than just a set of lowering springs. Only downsides is possible suspension noise and rust on the grooves for the rings used to adjust height. If it's a good brand, the springs and shocks will probably live longer than your car will... as most of these sets are a hell of a lot stronger than stock suspensions... Unfortunately, they cost a freaking arm and a leg (say...$1100-$1450... or more for the more adjustable ones).
A lot of what your saying isn't correct.
__________________

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fut RIP
 
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 10-A-KEY
Posts: 10,147


Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's


iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
Which is better, lowering springs or coilovers?
It depends on what your going for! It also depends on doing it the right way and the wrong way.
__________________

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fut RIP
 
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 10-A-KEY
Posts: 10,147


Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's


iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgals444 View Post
If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.
This will also depend on what car you have.
__________________

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG View Post
It depends on what your going for! It also depends on doing it the right way and the wrong way.

Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?
straightkid6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Drag coilovers are for those who strictly drag race. These come in either only the rear set, or all 4. However, the rears are set exceptionally stiff to keep the car from shifting weight to the rear wheels during launch. This is usually used on front wheel drive cars that want to keep the front wheels planted to the ground as much as possible to maintain traction.
samgals444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fut RIP
 
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 10-A-KEY
Posts: 10,147


Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's


iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?
Ok what year car do you have and is it a sedan or a coupe?
__________________

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fut RIP
 
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 10-A-KEY
Posts: 10,147


Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's


iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgals444 View Post
Drag coilovers are for those who strictly drag race. These come in either only the rear set, or all 4. However, the rears are set exceptionally stiff to keep the car from shifting weight to the rear wheels during launch. This is usually used on front wheel drive cars that want to keep the front wheels planted to the ground as much as possible to maintain traction.
He asked what lowering not what racing your going off topic.
__________________

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 3


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightkid6633 View Post
Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?

I hope you try to look for other brands and compare their brands and reviews.
gak8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide